Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > WWI-ish helmet, what could it be? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: WWI-ish helmet, what could it be?         Reply with quote

I have this helmet, and was wondering if anyone here could tell me when and where it is from.
It looks a lot like an Adrian helmet, even the chinstrap-attatchment buckles are near identical to Adrians I've seen.
Though there are differances. For one it's made of brass, and I've never heard of Adrians' being made of that. It also has the "ordinance" symbol found on a lot of Adrians, though it's small and on the crest, rather then large and on the skull.
It also has a holder for a feather on the left side. There was a large originaly white (now green/gray) feather thrust into the feather folder. (Which I keep elsewhere now)
I heard it could be a military fire-fighter helmet, though the feather holder doesn't really make sense for that to me.
There is also a name/word stamped in the back of the helmet in little letters, though they're corroded and indecipherable.
Here are some (low resolution) images I just took.
Thanks for any help.

[/list]
Ozsváth Árpád-István

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a WWI French Adrian helmet (casque Adrian), but it can also be Belgian, Russian or Romanian or some police or firefighter helmet. Without the badge it's hard to tell. There were some made completely from brass.
P. L. Gross

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a french firefighter's helmet from around WWI. I've read that the military adrian helmets were originally patterned after them, don't know if that's true but the two do look an awful lot alike. Here's another one at an auction site, might help you out with the value.
http://www.antiquesreporter.com.au/index.cfm/...ther-cons/

From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away; you don't know for certain when you're on the open road when you might have need of your spear.
-Havamal
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. L. Gross wrote:
It's a french firefighter's helmet from around WWI. I've read that the military adrian helmets were originally patterned after them, don't know if that's true but the two do look an awful lot alike. Here's another one at an auction site, might help you out with the value.
http://www.antiquesreporter.com.au/index.cfm/...ther-cons/

Oh, wow, the badge on that is quite extravagant. I always knew mine was missing a badge, though I had no idea what it looked like.
On the right side of my helmet there's a large area of discoloration, maybe it was used in a fire.
Tomorrow I'll try to make out the letters on the back, it might be the name of a city or something.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > WWI-ish helmet, what could it be?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic