Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Hanwei Anglo - Saxon sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,
I've merged your thread with an existing one on this sword. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael MacLeod

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. Sorry for not noticing it.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jul, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:
Felix R. wrote:
Why is the fuller not going under the hilt?

Isn't it strange that pattern welding doesn't continue after the fuller?

My suspicion is that this be not a real pattern welding but just an acid etched imitation.

I would spend my very scarce cash on a safer bet.

It's not that strange. Pattern most usually must be revealed with etching. And the rods might not be twisted at the base so the pattern is not really easy to see... One guy who is a vendor for Hanwei said it does look like real pattern welding in person.

Still it is a very low price for such a complex pattern welding design.

This is why I find it strange as an offer. Maybe some cheap factory in india has created it by employing an exceptionally skilled local smith, still I don't believe it can be easily true (Wink).
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, it is suspicious, but maybe we just underestimate the power of the cheap indian labor force. Wink I seriously doubt Hanwei would dare to market something as pattern welding if it was only some etched surface pattern...
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Yes, it is suspicious, but maybe we just underestimate the power of the cheap indian labor force. Wink I seriously doubt Hanwei would dare to market something as pattern welding if it was only some etched surface pattern...

I sort of agree but I have an old Godfred and I've never been too sure how to interpret the pattern welding as being real or and etching ? I don't have experience with the real thing to be able to tell but I have blued and removed bluing on this blade a few times over the years as I changed my mind about having a darker blued fuller or just to blue the blade and then polish the highlights to make the pattern stand out more.

The point being that if it's just surface etching of a pattern it must be a really deep etching otherwise the abrasives would have polished the surface and made the pattern disappear or at least much reduced ?

If real pattern welded the blade should be good at least aesthetically but the heat treat may be " iffy ": My Godfred seems O.K. as far as spring tempered and doesn't take a set if bent a reasonable amount, although I have not tested it with excessive force.

Sharpening the blade I can sort of estimate the hardness of my blade as being around 40 - 45 R.C. in hardness.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had Godfred and I was more or less satisfied with it but then it got a shallow crack in the top part of the blade and I was afraid of delamination so I replaced it. Probably it wasn't serious and it would serve long but I was a bit scared and I didn't want to risk. Temper seemed quite good though... I think the pattern was real although I can't be sure... But Godfred I think is not made of multiple rods like Saxon seems to be so it's easier to temper it well I would say...
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jul, 2010 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hanwei is based in China. I doubt they're using cheap Indian labor when cheap Chinese labor can be found in their factory already....
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Hanwei is based in China. I doubt they're using cheap Indian labor when cheap Chinese labor can be found in their factory already....

Of course, I knew that but somehow I wrote indian... Wink Thanks!
Paul Craddock

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: new Hanwei saxon sword         Reply with quote

I have just bought (and sold) the new Hanwei pattern welded sword. It looked like a genuine pattern weld to me and other people in Regia Anglorum. I will be getting my next one tomorrow and already have an interested customer. They are fantastic value when compared to the Godfred sword, which is similarly priced.

The Godfred is NOT pattern welded in the traditional saxon/Viking style it is 'crucible steel'. This is done by lining up various layers of steel of various types and heating them until almost molten and then dropping a large hammer on them to fuse them together. The resultant bar can then be folded and the process repeated, This is a modern version of how the Japanese did pattern welding done in a much cheaper way. European pattern welding used twisted rods that give the 'herring bone' pattern.

Druid

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today because if you like it you can do it again tomorrow!
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with those of you who found the aestethics of the hilt less than satisfying. There's a slight clumsiness about it, as if the designer had an idea about what a Saxon hilt should look like, but not quite getting it.
My sword site
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: new Hanwei saxon sword         Reply with quote

Paul Craddock wrote:
I have just bought (and sold) the new Hanwei pattern welded sword. It looked like a genuine pattern weld to me and other people in Regia Anglorum. I will be getting my next one tomorrow and already have an interested customer. They are fantastic value when compared to the Godfred sword, which is similarly priced.

The Godfred is NOT pattern welded in the traditional saxon/Viking style it is 'crucible steel'. This is done by lining up various layers of steel of various types and heating them until almost molten and then dropping a large hammer on them to fuse them together. The resultant bar can then be folded and the process repeated, This is a modern version of how the Japanese did pattern welding done in a much cheaper way. European pattern welding used twisted rods that give the 'herring bone' pattern.

Druid

Thanks! Could you please post some close up pictures of the blade?
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ya, i remember my Godfred being Damascus not pattern welded
R. Connors

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nothing to do with the Anglo Saxon sword, but I own a Godfred and a Marshall "Damascus". Neither displayed an evident pattern on the bevels, since they are machine ground, and this obliterates the pattern. It is achievable with etching. Both are composed of Swedish K120c powdered steel. The William Marshall exhibits a twisted pattern in the fuller, though I cannot say how it was achieved. It is definitely not separate bars welded edge to edge, though the Anglo Saxon may be, I do not know. Neither are Damascus since that is a new and loosely used term for pattern welded. I would not expect them to be pattern welded in a traditional sense, since they are new swords, and are quite inexpensive. Like M. Thibodeau, I have bent my Godfred to likely 60 degrees with no trouble.

Here is a tremendous sword with a glimpse of how it is done by the Master Jake Powning. I post this without his permission hoping that he does not sue me.

http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/willowraven.shtml
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
I agree with those of you who found the aestethics of the hilt less than satisfying. There's a slight clumsiness about it, as if the designer had an idea about what a Saxon hilt should look like, but not quite getting it.

That's often truth for production viking age pommels unfortunately. What do you think about the blade? Does anything except fuller not reaching the guard looks weird to you compared to originals?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Hanwei Anglo - Saxon sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: