myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Albion Dane Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jun, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg, that's a great photo. The sword third from the right is interesting as its details look similar to the Dane.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on acquiring a great Dane! I saw the photos, and now I guess it can be told... When Peter, Eric McHugh and I went to one of the major Swedish collections (kept in a castle) in October, 2003, I had the opportunity to handle a sword that judging by the hilt was the direct inspiration for the Dane. The bare wood with wire wrap is there, even if the blade is different, but what's really neat is that the sword had its original scabbard.

I've been saving the pics for years, and I'm sorry for the low resolution (my first digital camera was pretty primitive), but here they are. I'm afraid I don't have any measurements, but the grip looks longer than that of the Dane.

My sword site
Larry Bohnham

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: The Albion Dane         Reply with quote

Yes that is a very beautiful sword. My wife and I were just admiring it on Albion's site two nights ago. Gus Trim also makes one similar, although not quite as well turned out in the furniture, I wonder if anyone has examined one of those?

Here's the stupid question that I just have to ask. What is (or was) the original purpose for the narrowed ricasso? Does it help structurally or is it a place to grab the blade for a sort of half sword technique, or is it like some of the two hand Landesnecht swords and primarily a way to carry the thing at shoulder arms without cutting your neck? Inquiring minds want to know.

"No athlete can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows; he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack under the fist of his adversary..."
Roger of Hoveden, d.1201

a furore Normannorum libera nos Domine

"Henry, get down off that horse with that sword, you'll put someone's eye out!" Mrs. Bolingbroke's advice to her son, Henry, on the eve of the battle of Agincourt
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Aug, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn -

THANK YOU for posting those photos. That is a really, really great hilt. At the risk of over-stating myself, I feel lucky to get a glimpse of it.

Larry -

Good questions. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ambrus K.

PostPosted: Wed 25 Aug, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the photos, I am also planning to have a sword like this, probably not from Albion.

Actually I am writing here because I really need some help.

Currently I am doing a research on any kind of two-handed swords, I work for a research group in Hungary, at a school of medieval western-european martial arts.
We alredy know many things about the spanish Montante or the traditional Biderhänder, but I've seen this unusual two-hander from north-europe, and I fell in love with it, though I never heard anything of it.

So, I would like to ask you, if ANYONE knows ANYTHING about this beautiful blade, please write here, or contact me.
I mean really anything. Some interesting data, origins, stories, legends about such swords or people who used them, the way they used them, where and when and how exactly, or some book recommendations, authors, websites or blogs, or photos of the original ones from museums, or any other suggestions where and what to look up, any of these would mean a huge help to my work.

Thanks to all, and congrats, Nathan, for your new sword! Wink

www.arsensis.hu
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 26 Aug, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to steal to much attention from the topic, but does anyone have any further info on the this sword from the pic above?

Attachment: 6.85 KB
Copenhagen museum XIIa.jpg

Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems that Oxblood is pretty popular for the Dane! Mine is oxblood as well. Happy I absolutely love this sword. It's a beast, yes, but remarkably agile and controllable for its size.

I'll share a few of my "threw it down to shoot it" photos.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Christopher Domanski

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quick question:
What is known of the Dane's grip? Did one like this actually survive on a type XVIIIe sword till this day, or is it a modern artistic license taken by Albion? If it is indeed historical, is it associated exclusively with type XVIIIe and it's time frame(1425-1475)?

Oh, and the sword is absolutely magnificent.

Edit:
Ah, yes, a picture on the previous page of this thread shows an excavated piece with remnants of a grip very much like the one in Albion's reproduction... the other question still stands though - was it a one-in-a-million thing, or something more common.

Last edited by Christopher Domanski on Wed 01 Sep, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Domanski wrote:
Quick question:
What is known of the Dane's grip? Did one like this actually survive on a type XVIIIe sword till this day, or is it a modern artistic license taken by Albion? If it is indeed historical, is it associated exclusively with type XVIIIe and it's time frame(1425-1475)?

Oh, and the sword is absolutely magnificent.

Please see a post in the first page of this topic for a photo of an extant grip. Also read the description of the Dane on Albion's site for more info. It's discussed in detail.

Ewart Oakeshott notes in The Sword in the Age of Chivalry, "Many of these have enormously long grips bound at intervals with bands of metal." (Bruhn Hoffmeyer, vol. II, plate XXXVe shown below and also on the first page of this topic)

Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Nice Dane         Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Nathan. I might have have ordered this sword had I seen it in the catalog but alas I did not but ...you get the point...! I remember seeing something about some new products being added to the Albion line and I think that was one of them. I am happy as a June bug in a rug with my Baron but if you get tired of the Dane just let me know...

Harry

To Study The Edge of History
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Congratulations on acquiring a great Dane! I saw the photos, and now I guess it can be told... When Peter, Eric McHugh and I went to one of the major Swedish collections (kept in a castle) in October, 2003, I had the opportunity to handle a sword that judging by the hilt was the direct inspiration for the Dane. The bare wood with wire wrap is there, even if the blade is different, but what's really neat is that the sword had its original scabbard.

I've been saving the pics for years, and I'm sorry for the low resolution (my first digital camera was pretty primitive), but here they are. I'm afraid I don't have any measurements, but the grip looks longer than that of the Dane.

Hold on a sec...original scabbard?

How original? And how is it made? Wood strips or hollowed out core? Or is it all leather? Details, please!!

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
James Anderson III

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Albion Dane         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

What is the name/manufacturer of the sword on the bottom in that picture? Thanks.

Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Albion Dane         Reply with quote

James Anderson III wrote:
What is the name/manufacturer of the sword on the bottom in that picture? Thanks.

It's a Windlass piece. The called it the "German Bastard Sword". It was customized by fellow forum member JE Sarge.

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Thu 09 Sep, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher Domanski wrote:
Quick question:
... the other question still stands though - was it a one-in-a-million thing, or something more common.

It was common. See this thread for better-preserved examples:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=dane

...and this thread for a general discussion of Swedish swords (ignore my pitiful experiment--the information is outstanding:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ht=swedish

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Albion Dane
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: