myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Quote:
When I say layers of cloth, I am referring to the three layers of linen and two of wool you would likely find on a medieval man wearing a linen undershirt, a linen lined doublet and a linen lined wool coat. Now these things were not always linen lined, so you may run into less layers, but you would not ask your opponent to examine his clothing prior to striking, so you prepare for more, and get pleasantly surprised when there is less, rather than the opposite.

Sure, and I agree that cutting through that is a reasonable skill to develop. It does reflect the 'blossfechten uniform', if you will.

Quote:
As for jacks, there is no evidence that cutting through layers of fabric was not considered an important ability either. In real life there is no neat division between types of fighting. You could have been accosted by bandits during your travels as a lord’s body guard or a lord himself, and some of those bandits could be wearing jacks. Being prepared for this is better than not. Thrusting through jacks, or thrusting or striking around them, is easier and tactically more sound, but is not always an option. It is better to not be limited to certain wounders or target areas.

Quite the contrary - there's evidence that jacks were considered sword proof. If something was regarded as proof, you wouldn't practice against it. That's not to say that "striking" against a jack wouldn't slow said bandit though.

Quote:
The fact is, a longsword can cut a jack, and it doesn’t take a giant swing or any grand movement that gives up anything to the opponent. And if I can cut a jack, you can bet that medieval swordsmen could cut them also.

If period texts say jacks are proof, and you can cut them, then odds are you're not cutting a reasonable facsimile of a period jack. This is a test problem, much akin to Dan Howard's strong criticism, which I agree with, of tests against mail: no one's using a reasonable period mail reproduction, so the test doesn't mean much.

There are people who cut through plate armour too. It's when you realize what kind of reproduction was used that the limits of the test become clear.

Quote:
Actually it’s quite easy and intuitive, and it happens subconsciously. This is where a lot of cutting training and a lot of pell work come in.

Well, when I see bouting that reflects that, I'll find this more credible. And, in the past, you've been critical of the idea of being able to change up blows on the fly, so this contention is a bit surprising here.

Quote:
I have three pells that I use. One is a standard post pell, in this case a 4x4, which you can use for training measure, basic striking mechanics, etc. I use this pell to practice bind work (it’s a swinging pell). The second and most useful pell is a cloth pell, which consists of a Revival cotton gambeson suspended on a chain. This pell can be used to strike full force without damaging your steel blunt and to train the drawing motion necessary for good cuts into your striking mechanics. This pell also traps your sword sometimes and is fantastic for developing fuhlen. The third pell type is not applicable here.

The point is, training cutting along with different kinds of pell work develops a subconscious ability to switch your mechanics subtly depending on your goal. This is a basic tenet I try to pass on when I teach cutting…the type of strike you do depends on the goal. Learning which you need when and to adjust them without thinking is one of the benefits of cutting practice.

I like the idea of the different pells. That's cool.

Quote:
Also, in regards to this particular strike, I never use a short edge unterhau as a vorschlaag and I see no evidence it should be used that way, so it’s not a question of is he moving or not…you’re in the war, so he’s moving or he’s dead.

Use of the slashing up blow is documented in the Ringeck techniques for the Nebenhut. I didn't realize that years ago, but it's in there:

It~ wann du tribst die streÿchen zu° dem mann vñ helt er dañ sin schwert zwerchs vor im vnd ist hoc mitt den armen vnd will dir vff din schwert fallen So streÿch im vnden an sÿn schwert vnd schlach in vff den arm oder stoß in an die bru~st ~~

"When you use the slashing to the man and he holds his sword across before him and has his arms high and wants to fall upon your sword, then slash under to his sword and hit his arms or thrust to his chest."

He's not striking here; you are. I missed that subtlety years ago.

Quote:
This is our strongest point of contention, and one we’ve had for a while. A sword is a cutting and thrusting implement, not a club. And while it is true you can inflict a good amount of damage on someone without getting through his clothing, I do not believe that one should train to do “just enough.” I firmly believe that you should train to make use of the weapon’s full potential. Things in battle don’t usually go your way, and targets don’t stand still, so “just enough” can quickly turn into “oops, that wasn’t enough and I’m dead.”

Well, we don't disagree that strongly here, actually. First, I've never alluded to a sword being a club. Even when a sword doesn't 'bite' per se though, it delivers a lot of pounds per inch because of its geometry - it has an edge. However, not all swords had particularly keen edges.

And I agree with the need for power generation, edge alignment, and....some cutting practice. Our difference lies only in degrees - how much emphasis to put on what. Further, I believe the very strong emphasis you've been putting on cutting *through* targets is distorting your read on technique and tactics in general.

Quote:
I don’t believe in basing one’s mechanics on words, particularly one the use of which is not, and cannot be, fully understood. A proper sword strike does indeed have a chopping or hacking action, but it also should have a drawing action, or the full potential of the weapon is not realized. To believe otherwise is to believe that our medieval ancestors did not know how to make the most of their weapons, which is something I simply cannot accept.

I think that's sometimes true, and sometimes not. I think a 'strike' is fine from wide measure. I think once you're in close, then a powerful, finishing cut (a la Talhoffer's beheading) makes more sense. Of course, if you can cut off a hand or two on the way in, that's great too. [Interestingly though, we only see that with single-handers in manuscripts]

Quote:
I really don’t think we’ll ever convince each other of any of this, and that’s fine. The fact is, neither you nor I can know if we’re right, we can only each pursue our own ideas and see how they turn out. I think this is good, and healthy for the community. In a situation like ours, where we are recreating a dead art, it’s important, I think, to approach it from many directions. Time may tell which of us was right, or that we were both right and wrong on some points, and those that follow after can only benefit from this.

Well, again, this is a matter of degrees. I think it would be misleading to say that these positions are diametrically opposed, given that I do use cutting as a part of our training.

Cheers!

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Last edited by Christian Henry Tobler on Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, one little addendum, regarding that slash from Nebenhut as a Vorschlag: the admonition to use it *when his arms are high* is critical. I stupidly did this to Claus Sørensen, in my martial challenge with him in Denmark, when his arms were low, and I was appropriately punished for my folly!

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike - something I'm surprised I never asked before: I have heard/read from a number of folks (some with JSA backgrounds, some who may just be repeating what they've heard elsewhere) that the curvature of the katana and related japanese swords (also the curved european sabers, but those aren't two handed) resulted in a drawing action that isn't as natural with a straight-bladed weapon. Or is the curve of the 'average' katana not enough to really change the cutting action?

I've noticed with my black prince, a XVa, that I have to really pull my hands in towards my body as I complete a cut to cut entirely through a target, much more so than I do with something like a type XIIIa blade.

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:

Quite the contrary - there's evidence that jacks were considered sword proof. If someone was regarded as proof, you wouldn't practice against it. That's not to say that "striking" against a jack wouldn't slow said bandit though.

Hi Christian,

As you know, I think you're right about the degrees, and I think we've both stated our cases, but I want to address some of the points so my position is clear.

Not all jacks are the same. Some were as little as 10 layers. Some were 20, some were 30, and probably everything in between. I can't cut through a 30 layer jack with a longsword, though I can easily do it with a katana. 10 layers, though, is easy. 20 is hard, and probably shouldn't be attempted in combat, but then there's your blunt trauma argument.

The point is, it's never black and white. I've read statements from medieval regulations, etc. that describe jacks as being sword proof, but that always read as marketing propaganda to me. It's actually quite easy to thrust through a jack with a sword, so they're clearly not sword proof.

Quote:
If period texts say jacks are proof, and you can cut them, then odds are you're not cutting a reasonable facsimile of a period jack. This is a test problem, much akin to Dan Howard's strong criticism, which I agree with, of tests against mail: no one's using a reasonable period mail reproduction, so the test doesn't mean much.

I agree with Dan about mail, but even with mail, and particularly with jacks, the differences are likely a lot more academic than practical. You can take two pieces of paper and talk for hours about how they were made differently, different trees, etc., but I can take a pen and write on each and pronounce them to be the same. Linen is linen, and while it's possible that linen changed, or it was treated differently, or they used a different weave, the difference would not be night and day, it would be small and subtle. At least this is how I view such matters, and partly this is of necessity. We have no choice. We work with what we can get.

Quote:
Well, when I see bouting that reflects that, I'll find this more credible. And, in the past, you've been critical of the idea of being able to change up blows on the fly, so this contention is a bit surprising here.

It's not on the fly...it's at the beginning. I am critical of changing strikes on the fly, not so much in free fencing, but in combat, which is what I train for, at least as best as I can, all things considered.

Quote:

I like the idea of the different pells. That's cool.

Thanks, but there's a downside...the cotton gambeson, which costs 200 bucks, get torn to shreds.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, in regards to this particular strike, I never use a short edge unterhau as a vorschlaag and I see no evidence it should be used that way, so it’s not a question of is he moving or not…you’re in the war, so he’s moving or he’s dead.

Use of the slashing up blow is documented in the Ringeck techniques for the Nebenhut. I didn't realize that years ago, but it's in there:

It~ wann du tribst die streÿchen zu° dem mann vñ helt er dañ sin schwert zwerchs vor im vnd ist hoc mitt den armen vnd will dir vff din schwert fallen So streÿch im vnden an sÿn schwert vnd schlach in vff den arm oder stoß in an die bru~st ~~

"When you use the slashing to the man and he holds his sword across before him and has his arms high and wants to fall upon your sword, then slash under to his sword and hit his arms or thrust to his chest."

He's not striking here; you are. I missed that subtlety years ago.

Right, but I don't see that as a vorschlaag because of how I use Nebenhut, but I'm not married to the idea, so your interpretation sounds reasonable as well, if that is in fact what you mean. A lot of my ideas and interpretations have changed radically since the last time we discussed things.

Quote:

Well, we don't disagree that strongly here, actually. First, I've never alluded to a sword being a club. Even when a sword doesn't 'bite' per se though, it delivers a lot of pounds per inch because of its geometry - it has an edge. However, not all swords had particularly keen edges.

That last bit is a point I forgot to make...not all swords cut equally. Some are quite lousy at it, while others seem to have been desgined to effortlessly cleave flesh. There area lot of lessons in that fact, both about training so you can use any sword effectively, not just a good cutter, and in that cutting was important to these people, because they made swords like the original Brescia Spadona.

Quote:

And I agree with the need for power generation, edge alignment, and....some cutting practice. Our difference lies only in degrees - how much emphasis to put on what. Further, I believe the very strong emphasis you've been putting on cutting *through* targets is distorting your read on technique and tactics in general.

It requires almost no power to cut through a mat, and if people do find it difficult, they can benefit from some cutting training and practice. People who cut with a good sword for the first time often hit the ground because they are so shocked at how easily the sword goes through the target when they just let it do its job and don't try to muscle it (which in my experience is the biggest obstacle to good cutting). The point of cutting practice is not to cut through difficult targets, but to cut with precision and control, and if that is a distortion of technique, then I'll use the same logic you applied to the jack cutting...the technique being distorted is wrong.

That said, cutting through difficult targets, or into them, is a part of our cutting curriculum, it's just not a very big part or something we spend much time on.

Thre's something you need to understand about my cutting...it is very much a work in progress. Three years ago I just started cutting after an almost 10 year hiatus from doing so in JSA, and I was just hacking through tatami, finding it difficult and applying more power to compensate. Two years ago I was using less power and less arms, but struggling with timing because I was basing my technique on a flawed interpretation. One year ago, I had just gotten to the point where cutting was easy and I was starting to experiment with advanced concepts, precision and control. Currently, I'm at the point where I can say I'm actually getting good, though compared to the better Toyama Ryu guys I am a talentless hack. I have learned and am learning aspects of cutting that I never knew existed, but that are very important to strong technique, concepts like keeping center.

And that is the point of cutting training.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David E. Farrell wrote:
Mike - something I'm surprised I never asked before: I have heard/read from a number of folks (some with JSA backgrounds, some who may just be repeating what they've heard elsewhere) that the curvature of the katana and related japanese swords (also the curved european sabers, but those aren't two handed) resulted in a drawing action that isn't as natural with a straight-bladed weapon. Or is the curve of the 'average' katana not enough to really change the cutting action?

I've noticed with my black prince, a XVa, that I have to really pull my hands in towards my body as I complete a cut to cut entirely through a target, much more so than I do with something like a type XIIIa blade.

Hi David,

In my experience it rally doesn't make a noticeable difference...so I think you're right tht there isn't enough curvature, though not all katanas are the same. Some are almost straight, some have deep curvature (sori in Japanese).

To me, it seems like It is the stiffness and edge geometry of the katana that results in better cutting.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Michael Edelson wrote:

Not all jacks are the same. Some were as little as 10 layers. Some were 20, some were 30, and probably everything in between. I can't cut through a 30 layer jack with a longsword, though I can easily do it with a katana. 10 layers, though, is easy. 20 is hard, and probably shouldn't be attempted in combat, but then there's your blunt trauma argument.

The point is, it's never black and white. I've read statements from medieval regulations, etc. that describe jacks as being sword proof, but that always read as marketing propaganda to me. It's actually quite easy to thrust through a jack with a sword, so they're clearly not sword proof.

Probably more often than not, these were also worn with mail shirts. And we know jack chains were not uncommon. Our bandit in the forest, to continue your earlier scenario, is likely a former soldier if he's got a jack. So he likely has one or the other pieces of armour with it.

Quote:
I agree with Dan about mail, but even with mail, and particularly with jacks, the differences are likely a lot more academic than practical. You can take two pieces of paper and talk for hours about how they were made differently, different trees, etc., but I can take a pen and write on each and pronounce them to be the same. Linen is linen, and while it's possible that linen changed, or it was treated differently, or they used a different weave, the difference would not be night and day, it would be small and subtle. At least this is how I view such matters, and partly this is of necessity. We have no choice. We work with what we can get.

You'll find a lot of difference in the test though depending on *what* linen you use. What weight in ounces was each layer? Pure linen, or fustian? I could go on and on...

I do understand though, and largely agree, that at some point you draw a line and say "this is as good a test as I can reasonably do". But...I think that's a far cry from designing a curriculum around the need to cut through jacks. If that was a likely feat to accomplish, we really then need to ask "who the hell would wear such heat-inducing clothing if it didn't work against swords?" People wore armour for a reason: it worked.

I think late medieval armour - all forms of it - worked fantastically well. And that's one more reason why the sword just isn't your primary battlefield weapon. Your man's wearing a jack? Stab him with your spear, hit him with your poleaxe, etc. The sword's a backup weapon.

Quote:
It's not on the fly...it's at the beginning. I am critical of changing strikes on the fly, not so much in free fencing, but in combat, which is what I train for, at least as best as I can, all things considered.

That can't be gauranteed. If you attack with a dedicated cut, poorly suited to deflecting an attack, and an attack happens a fraction of a second into said cut, you must change plans or be struck.

Quote:
Right, but I don't see that as a vorschlaag because of how I use Nebenhut, but I'm not married to the idea, so your interpretation sounds reasonable as well, if that is in fact what you mean. A lot of my ideas and interpretations have changed radically since the last time we discussed things.

You're acting before he does. He's just holding his sword across. If you act first, from wide measure (which you're obviously in here), it's a Vorschlag.

Quote:
That last bit is a point I forgot to make...not all swords cut equally. Some are quite lousy at it, while others seem to have been desgined to effortlessly cleave flesh. There area lot of lessons in that fact, both about training so you can use any sword effectively, not just a good cutter, and in that cutting was important to these people, because they made swords like the original Brescia Spadona.

I agree with this for the most part.

Quote:
It requires almost no power to cut through a mat, and if people do find it difficult, they can benefit from some cutting training and practice. People who cut with a good sword for the first time often hit the ground because they are so shocked at how easily the sword goes through the target when they just let it do its job and don't try to muscle it (which in my experience is the biggest obstacle to good cutting). The point of cutting practice is not to cut through difficult targets, but to cut with precision and control, and if that is a distortion of technique, then I'll use the same logic you applied to the jack cutting...the technique being distorted is wrong.

That's assuming every technique is designed to cause deep cutting injuries. Nowhere does any text say this. In fact, it's a guarantee that many counterattacks won't produce this effect. If you use a Zwerchhau to counter and attack from above, you're not going to chop the guy's head off. You're going to cause *some injury* to the side of his head. That's not a flaw in the technique.

I do agree with letting the sword do the work - that's an apt description of the ideal to achieve.

Quote:
That said, cutting through difficult targets, or into them, is a part of our cutting curriculum, it's just not a very big part or something we spend much time on.

Understood.

Quote:
Thre's something you need to understand about my cutting...it is very much a work in progress. Three years ago I just started cutting after an almost 10 year hiatus from doing so in JSA, and I was just hacking through tatami, finding it difficult and applying more power to compensate. Two years ago I was using less power and less arms, but struggling with timing because I was basing my technique on a flawed interpretation. One year ago, I had just gotten to the point where cutting was easy and I was starting to experiment with advanced concepts, precision and control. Currently, I'm at the point where I can say I'm actually getting good, though compared to the better Toyama Ryu guys I am a talentless hack. I have learned and am learning aspects of cutting that I never knew existed, but that are very important to strong technique, concepts like keeping center.

I'm going to leave it at this Mike: from what I've observed, and continue to observe in your videos, you're using a training paradigm that creates one dynamic for cutting and another for fencing. In short, your cutting video mechanics simply don't look like your bouting mechanics, at least as of the most recent videos of each. Maybe that too is a work in progress, and maybe you're still at work in harmonizing the two. But the risk I see is that one will continue to move in one direction, and the other in a different direction. That leads to a form of training that isn't holistic, but over-optimized for specific tasks.

I don't expect you to agree with the above, but it's precisely what I see from what's been presented thus far. This is why I continue to post cautions about over-emphasizing the importance of cutting training. Sometimes, the importance of "I've got to get *through* that target" can lead to very artificial actions, directed against targets that don't fight back.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good discussion and what I appreciate the most is that even when 180 degree opposite to each other's theories and interpretations are present they are rebutted point by point but not in the usual and unfortunate way when people just oppose so as to not lose an argument and hardly address the points and it degenerates into fruitless stubbornness !

On the contrary the ideas are expressed clearly and to the point and as a " reader " one can gain insight into both views and learn from both approaches: At times it not so much one being right or wrong but almost a question of subtle emphasis on different aspects of the same thing.

In fact one can each take many things of value from even contradicting approaches and just meditate on each: No need to declare a winner or a loser of the debate as I see only winners when the goal is trying to understand each other or each other's technique.

These discussions are so much more productive when egos or emotions are left at the door and the exchange is one of ideas. Happy Cool

Oh, it's very nice to not be tempted to want to take a side as I'm certain that I could learn a great deal from both Michael and Christian if I had the pleasure of being able to get instruction from each or even better both. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gents,

Why don't we look at the weapons in use, and where the techniques tell us to cut?

How well a sword cuts is a factor of how wide the blade is. Just like a bowie knife or messer outclasses a rondel dagger because of its wide belly, a sabre of any variety (and a katana is a sabre), is going to out-cut a Type XV sword, which is what many of the weapons depicted in the 15th century sources are. There is no big shock to any of this - we know quite extensively which blade forms were used when and where, and what their properties are. Also, note how often the foot soldiers wearing said jacks and *light* armour are shown with messers and falchions - weapons that are meant to but cut and crush.

As to how false edge cuts were *used* , at least in Italian sources, there are three ways. As an opening action, by and large they are *parries* out of low guards - deflections. When they are attacks, they go after the hands and the throat, and immediately return with a descending cut. (However, it is more common to open with a thrust from a low guard.) When they are secondary actions, they follow after a cut from above, and immediately strike back up the same line, inside the opponent's guard. Again, the primary target is the face/throat. The cut is very fast and slashes through the target, often returning with a *third* blow, again from above.

So I think the targets and how it combines with other blows tells us a lot about how the rising false edge cut is meant to be used.

But, the bigger issue is, what are the targets we are *overwhelmingly* shown to use the edge against.

Obviously, I'm far more familiar with the Italian material, but I can tell you that in Fiore and Vadi's work, cuts are made against:

1. arms/hands
2. head/neck

(there is one instance of a direct attack to the leg, but it is a rather specialized action - you've been knocked down, so you cut his ankles out from under him.)

Now thrusts are made to the face/throat, groin, body and armpit. A thrust really doesn't care if you are wearing a gambeson or aketon.

This is the same thing that we see in the Bolognese school, with either sword and buckler, polearms or spadone: cuts target the extremities and the head/neck, thrusts go after the face and torso. I can think of a few belly/groin cuts, but they are the extreme exception to the rule.

I am less versed in the German material, but going through my head of how the various techniques work, and thinking of the masters, like Talhoffer, who actually show wounds, it is overwhelmingly cuts to the head/neck and arms, and thrusts to the face and body.

None of this should be a big surprise - the top of the head and the torso are the two parts of the body most likely protected by a soldier - but the face and neck are often vulnerable, and arms are the forward target - you have to extend them to fight, and if you cant hold a weapon, you can't fight.

I do think there is an interesting parallel here, with JSA, and one that shows how irrelevant the meme of "civilian" and "military" fencing is in western swordsmanship, prior to the advent of the rapier. Note that the targets you are avoiding even in "unarmoured" fencing are the ones most likely to be protected against the cut, and least likely to instantly end a fight. So whether armoured or no *in that moment*, you are using the same art, just the more armour you find on the man, the less you cut at.

From what I have observed and read, pre-Edo era kenjutsu attacks the same targets and for the same tactical reasons - they are fight enders *and* they avoid armour (there are some interesting discussions of this you can find online from the headmasters of Kashima Shin ryu and Katori Shinto Ryu, two of the oldest ryuha in Japan), whereas post-Edo swordplay has lot more body-cuts, but then the katana is being worn about town and used in duels - much like the rapier and smallsword in Europe.

I think one should be able to make good, powerful cuts anywhere, but I think we also need to remember their tactical purpose.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You'll find a lot of difference in the test though depending on *what* linen you use. What weight in ounces was each layer? Pure linen, or fustian? I could go on and on...

I got my jack piece from Matuls, known for good quality stuff.

Quote:
But...I think that's a far cry from designing a curriculum around the need to cut through jacks.

It's a good thing I did nothing of the sort then. Happy

Quote:
That can't be gauranteed. If you attack with a dedicated cut, poorly suited to deflecting an attack, and an attack happens a fraction of a second into said cut, you must change plans or be struck.

This is a tangent we should probably save for another day.

Quote:
That's assuming every technique is designed to cause deep cutting injuries. Nowhere does any text say this. In fact, it's a guarantee that many counterattacks won't produce this effect. If you use a Zwerchhau to counter and attack from above, you're not going to chop the guy's head off. You're going to cause *some injury* to the side of his head. That's not a flaw in the technique.
<snip>
I'm going to leave it at this Mike: from what I've observed, and continue to observe in your videos, you're using a training paradigm that creates one dynamic for cutting and another for fencing. In short, your cutting video mechanics simply don't look like your bouting mechanics, at least as of the most recent videos of each. Maybe that too is a work in progress, and maybe you're still at work in harmonizing the two. But the risk I see is that one will continue to move in one direction, and the other in a different direction. That leads to a form of training that isn't holistic, but over-optimized for specific tasks.

I don't expect you to agree with the above, but it's precisely what I see from what's been presented thus far. This is why I continue to post cautions about over-emphasizing the importance of cutting training. Sometimes, the importance of "I've got to get *through* that target" can lead to very artificial actions, directed against targets that don't fight back.

Not all strikes are the same. Some strikes are probing, some are feints, some are pulled to not injure your training partner, some are small cuts, some are big cuts. When I cut tatami, I'm practicing specific kinds of strikes, ones I will rarely use in free fencing (and never with steel, or at least not intentionally) because it will injure my opponent. That's one reason I am very happy with the Rawlings swords, I can use larger more powerful strikes and still be safe. Even so, never full powered strikes.

While not all strikes are intended to cut through, when I'm cutting tatami it's safe to assume I'm practicing those that are. Happy For the other kinds, there's the pell.

And to turn the situation around, that is why I think an emphasis on free fencing distorts technique. You can't fight in a free fencing environment, you'll kill your parnter. To fight with full intent, you have to use incredibly unrealistic simulators, which create a different but equaly severe distortion, or wear so much armor you can't move the way you do with clothing, and it can still cause injuries.

So by its very definition free fencing is a deliberate distortion of techniques.

That is why I believe in a balance of three training types, each used in equal emphasis to test one's skill. Free fencing, cutting and drills. Cutting is artificial in some ways, free fencing in other ways, drills in yet other ways. Only by equally emphasising each and developing technique that is a balance of the three can you, in my opinion, really be true to the art.

That said, yes, of course everything of mine, cutting and free fencing, is a work in progress. Isn't that true of all of us?

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:32 am; edited 4 times in total
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
I am less versed in the German material, but going through my head of how the various techniques work, and thinking of the masters, like Talhoffer, who actually show wounds, it is overwhelmingly cuts to the head/neck and arms, and thrusts to the face and body.

Hi Greg,

We are specifically told to strike to the head or to the body, both in the verses and the commentaries.

Quote:
I think one should be able to make good, powerful cuts anywhere, but I think we also need to remember their tactical purpose.

Very well said, and I agree completely. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you always should, but it sure helps when you need to.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike,

Could you give me some of the body quotes? Not asking as a challenge, but so I have them to hand.

Basically, like you, I think you need set plays, fencing and cutting, because they are *all* artificial to some extent, and to *different* extents. One of the other things we cut is a loose hanging hemp rope. Rope is not resistant to swords, except that when loose it yields, like a small, moving target. Consequently, the skills required to cut it are edge placement and speed, force is irrelevant. That and the SwordFodder or Tatami gives us two different types of cutting skills to work on.

Anyway, my point in my post was that we need to look at weapon type, combat environment, and purpose of different blows to understand how, when and why to use which. Sort of like an axe kick or round-house kick - yeah, they can really drop somebody flat, but in a real fight, you are going to use them as the coup de gras, not your opening action, because of the long time and vulnerability to yourself they create.

Everything in its place.

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike & Greg,

Yes, Liechtenauer says to hit to the head and body. But, as both verse and gloss say, that's not because they make the best targets, per se, it's so you strike close enough to prevent your opponent from changing through past your point. A blow directed to the 'core' of the person changes the measure, ensuring you're fighting the man, and not his sword.

Here's the pertinent section from the Von Danzig:

"This is the Text and Gloss of Another Lesson

If you strike close to him, no Changer will come to your shield.
To the head, to the body, do not shun the Tag-Hit.
Fight with the entire body, what you powerfully want to do.

Gloss – Note, this means that when you come to him in the Zufechten, use the entire strength of your body for whatever you intend to execute, and strike while approaching to his head or body and keep your point before his face or chest. This way he cannot change through before your point."

This advice, just for clarity, applies to when you seize the initiative, not for responses, which sometimes use other targets, such as the Krumphau's counterattack to the hands. Also note that no mention appears regarding degrees of damage, efficacy or penetration of the blow, etc. It's all about controlling your opponent's options, not how bad you hurt him.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:

Basically, like you, I think you need set plays, fencing and cutting, because they are *all* artificial to some extent, and to *different* extents. One of the other things we cut is a loose hanging hemp rope. Rope is not resistant to swords, except that when loose it yields, like a small, moving target. Consequently, the skills required to cut it are edge placement and speed, force is irrelevant. That and the SwordFodder or Tatami gives us two different types of cutting skills to work on.

Hemp rope...interesting. Where do you get it and how much?

We cut a variety of things too. Different kinds of tatami, for different purposes (each teaches a different skill), rolled up carpet, either nekid or covered in a few layers of linen. Obviously the point is not to cut the carpet in half, but to bite into it, which requires more of a slashing cut (yet another skill). So that would be like striking to the body. We've also worked a bit with watermellons and pig parts, for head and hands.

I plan to add shcietelhau strikes against coconuts, ala Thomas Stoeppler.

Quote:

Anyway, my point in my post was that we need to look at weapon type, combat environment, and purpose of different blows to understand how, when and why to use which. Sort of like an axe kick or round-house kick - yeah, they can really drop somebody flat, but in a real fight, you are going to use them as the coup de gras, not your opening action, because of the long time and vulnerability to yourself they create.

Agreed. Cutting a variety of things helps this, as does incorporating lessons from free fencing and drills.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

Tent makers, and no pricing to hand, but not much. Knife guys do this a lot, which is where I got the idea.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jun, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gloss – Note, this means that when you come to him in the Zufechten, use the entire strength of your body for whatever you intend to execute, and strike while approaching to his head or body and keep your point before his face or chest. This way he cannot change through before your point."

Yes, but this isn't really a cut to the body as cutting to take position and threaten him with your *point*, at least as I am reading it.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:

Yes, but this isn't really a cut to the body as cutting to take position and threaten him with your *point*, at least as I am reading it.

That seems to imply that you set out to fight assuming your first strike is going to miss, and you do it only to achieve a bind or change guards.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the idea of keeping the point before the face and chest has two levels of meaning. Yes, if you bind, you own the center, but there's also the idea of "keeping it tight"; i.e., don't use wide swinging blows.

At any rate, what is surely is not is an admonition to achieve any level of penetration with your blow.

Cheers,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the idea of keeping the point before the face and chest has two levels of meaning. Yes, if you bind, you own the center, but there's also the idea of "keeping it tight"; i.e., don't use wide swinging blows.

At any rate, what is surely is not is an admonition to achieve any level of penetration with your blow.

Cheers,

CHT

That's the kind of conjecture that I stay away from. The similarities between the Japanese arts and what is described in the texts are slowly but surely giving me the "so that someone who already knows how to fence can learn this art" perspective. The answers I have found, and am finding, make a lot of sense to me in a way that striking with a sword without the goal of penetrating your target does not. I think Cory Winslow has similar views about not striking to longpoint (unless you end up there in a bind) that he got without any Japanese or any other art's influence, or he did the last time we discussed it.

But then, as I have said, the community benefits from multiple approaches, and not a single dogmatic world view. Furthermore, I think that kind of conjecture is valuable. With my approach, there is a danger of going too far into the other art, so work like yours and Cory's helps me stay in the channel, so to speak.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I think it's pretty unconvincing to accuse someone of conjecture to be avoided when you're inventing scenarios of jack-clad bandits to justify your cutting.

If we take the text at face, which certainly doesn't say to strike past the guy, it says to strike so your "point is before his face or chest". We don't need a lot of conjecture to conclude that the point should be before the face or body, because it says that.

On the flip side, the usual argument put forward for striking blows through the opponent has been derived from a misreading of this passage:

"And understand this thus: when you stand with your left leg forward and strike from your right side, if you do not follow the stroke with a step forward of your right foot, then the strike is false and incorrect. When your right side stays behind, thus is the strike too short and cannot have its correct path to the other side before and above the left foot."

Some have read this as advocating a stroke past the centerline. First, you're not going to cut clean through a guy and end up on your left side. Second, they're reading the what *not* to do as what to do. If you don't step, your blow goes in front and above your left foot, instead of your right, as it should. So this is no advice for a huge sweeping blow - it's advice for the blow to end atop the *correct* foot, in this case, the right one, not the left.

Now, don't me wrong, I think there's a place for 'full blows', but I think they happen at close measure, not as an initial stroke to seize the initiative. Certainly, any time we see a Talhoffer decapitation, we're seeing a very committed, full blow. But also note these happen in the Krieg.

As a final note, let's stop with the "if you disagree with me, you're advocating dogma" accusations, which you've now done twice in this thread. No one's doing any such thing - they just happen to think you're wrong. Accusing people of silencing the opposition when your arguments don't convince them is an unreasonable way to debate.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jun, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

Tent makers, and no pricing to hand, but not much. Knife guys do this a lot, which is where I got the idea.

Yes there are even cutting competitions in the custom knife World and competitions among makers to make the best cutter possible at the expense of the knife being good at anything else.

These competitions often use hanging rope or multiple ropes as the target since only the best form and razor sharp edges will cut the rope ( in theory ).

Smiths also compete in cutting tests that just test the edge sharpness of their knives and how long the edges last making hundreds if not thousands of cuts before the knife stop being able to cut. ( Just slicing rope on a hard surface, like very long salami ! )

I assume(d) Michael that you would already be aware of this but if not look at the Coldsteel site where they have hundreds of video clips of test cutting rope or chunks of meat using their product from small folding knives to large twohander swords.

The cutting style seems mostly of the overpowered style where the only priority is cutting the target, edge alignment must be good otherwise the rope wouldn't get cut, so the technique may be good for what it is and you might find it interesting just for what would seem to you to be very bad technique in consideration of what your cutting and keeping it tactically sound as sword training and not just cutting stuff into tiny pieces.

Link to Coldsteel: http://www.coldsteel.com/

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts
Page 2 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: