Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing" comes to mind after wading through these posts. Some folks have brought some very good ideas out, and there have been some very bad ones as well. Curved swords cut better than straight ones- unless they don't. Straight swords cut better than curved ones- unless they don't. As near as I can see all the relevant points have been mentioned at one time or another in this thread already.

Swords were designed for specific purposes in specific periods and generally they used the style most suited to the purpose. Fashion played a role- but not to the extent of impracticality. Later Ordinance Boards that may or may not have had a clue as to what they were doing had an influence on what swords were used once reliable repeating firearms relegated the sword to a secondary status.

Years back I wrote an article that outlines some of the many factors involved in a sword's ability to cut. I don't believe that forum rules allow me to cross-link to it however. Most or all have of the points in that article have been mentioned in the course of this thread in a variety of contexts and the article could at this point simply be fuel for more argument anyway.

Several points do come to mind- the first being that cutting swords (whether for 'hacking' or 'slicing' ) became, and remained, dominant on the battlefield once complete armored protection stopped being 'the norm' for well-heeled combatants. There is a very simple reason for this. A thrust kills your opponent, a good cut stops the fight. The thrust can perforate vital organs etc. and is likely, particularly in times of poor medical technology, to eventually result in your opponent's death. But if you don't hit the brain or the spine the thrust cannot be relied upon to stop your opponent before they have a chance to strike a mortal blow against you. A cut that severs major muscle groups, connective tissue and even bone is much more likely to interfere with your opponent's immediate ability to kill you. In 1993 a 130lb. woman was shot through the heart with a .357 magnum hollow-point bullet that disintigrated the left ventricle of her heart and blew three ribs loose from her spine. Her response was to shoot her assailant five times. I don't think a sane person could really argue that the relatively narrow point of a sword piercing her heart would have had a greater or more immediate effect! This is not to say that you don't take a thrust if it's what you can get or that a cut always stops the fight; just that all things being equal it is more likely to.

The next point that comes to mind is this- swords are massively over-kill against the sorts of targets that we normally use them on. I have cut full tatami mats with a quite light, narrow rapier- using a sort of cut that I have been able to employ in fencing with rapiers against a well-schooled opponent. I very nearly cut entirely through a mat with a Cold Steel Vaquero folding knife with a serrated blade for that matter- the only thing that prevented it was the shortness of the blade. The value of cutting trials is, as Mike ably demonstrates, as an exercise in control and technique.

There is no value in comparing the cutting performance of swords by type. I have made cuts with an historically accurate (in terms of form and dimension- the modern materials were likely an improvement) reproduction of a type XV sword that other people couldn't duplicate with a katana. Other people have made cuts with a katana that I couldn't duplicate with a longsword. Other folks have made cuts with a single-hand sword that some one else couldn't duplicate with a Katana. It's pointless to debate which is better in absolute terms because each type of sword worked adequately for it's intended purpose or they moved on to something else. In the end it's an intellectual reach-around that wastes time without adding value to the discussion.

This point is important- bad swords don't cut as well as good swords. The only useful thing that a bad sword can tell you is that it is a bad sword. You can't say, "messers didn't cut well because a Cold Steel messer didn't cut well." Try the same with the new Albion that I saw at Blade Show and you'll reach a very different conclusion about Messers. Same for Machetes. I have a Cold steel machete that I paid $16.95 for and it's only just good enough to be useful. A machete that a friend of mine has from south america (the brand name escapes me) not only works better- the difference is like night and day.

We've strayed quite far from the real point of this thread- which is that Mike did some nifty cutting in a video. Once we got away from discussing that and whether or not it is relevant to the practice of HEMA we lost it. Thanks for the video Mike, and your thoughts regarding the usefulness of cutting to the HEMA practitioner. Nicely done.[/i]

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't disagree with most of your post Pearce, and for the record, I never claimed straight swords were better than sabers or that messers weren't any good simply because the Cold Steel one sucks. I was just pointing out the same thing that you did, a good quality sword will cut better than a crap quality sword and that can trump the basic shape of the weapon. And I am disagreeing with the contention that a curved sword necessarily cuts better than a straight sword - there are many variables and we haven't done a lot of testing to even begin to narrow down all of the principles or performance parameters in a definitive way.

I waded in here defending Mike and got sucked into a tenacious debate about some rather broad statements which were made about cutting. Hopefully the same won't happen to you in the thread. If you contradict certain people it's like you are enveloped in tentacles and dragged into the briny deep Eek! I think I see the BP oil gusher down here...

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for all the kind words and compliments. It's a great feeling to have one's work appreciated.

And to those of you who came to my defense, I really appreciate it.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Greg,

I have a question for you. Why do you think broad double-edged cutting swords dominated infantry warfare in Europe for over 1000 years if curved swords or sabers cut better?

I never said that the sabre, of any form, including the katana, was an "uber weapon". I said that it had an advantage in *cutting*, not hacking or chopping, because the length of the curve gives you more effective edge to draw along the target. What is a clever shaped like? What about a filleting knife? Which one slices better? Which one can crack a bone, even when it doesn't cut through it?

We can talk about "Victorians" and their sins in many areas, but swords - both straight and curved, were being used in battle throughout the world in the 1800s, they knew how to cut with a sword.

Back to your question. Simple answer, Jean - they dominated infantry warfare for two reasons: one, the *thrust*, and against soft targets you do not need a needle point, a Viking sword will do quite admirably. Two: armour, which you discount, and then turn around and reaffirm, below. Iron or hardened leather helmets, leather coats and mail shirts were in use throughout the Western world quite early. A curve increases slicing, and that when the sword gets too curved, it slices at the expense of concussive power. The straight sword is the flip-side of the coin: it has more concussive power. It doesn't just cut, it cracks bones, in the way that a very curved weapon can't. A backsword, or something like a langesaex, takes that even further, because of the morphology of a single-edged weapon. Forward curved weapons, like the Iberian falcata, take that even further, for the specific reasons I stated before.

Here was my original point: there is a continuum between a straight sword and an extremely curved one, and that on one end you have more concussive power and less slice, and on the other more slice and less concussive power, and that t the katana's is maximized for cutting, while remaining relatively *short*, which in turn is reflected in its method of use: an emphasis of cuts and counterattacks made without opposition. Somehow, you turned this into I said that sabres are designed to hack through trees or something. I said they *cut*.

Where I to have said that the arming sword and the small sword sit on the continuum of a weapon designed for being used alone and one was better at cutting, one at fast thrusts, and early rapiers sit in the middle, I doubt that you would have argued that.

Quote:

Quote:
Why do you think that we see a return to broad, straight blades and the adoption of sabres as armour wanes on the field?

I think you are making assumptions based on remnants of Victorian theories. Your argument echoes myths I've heard repeated many times by collegiate sport fencers describing the purported evolution of the blade.

Most curved swords around the world are cavalry sabers, with a few exceptions. Sabers rose because of the rise of light cavalry, not because the curved sword was an 'uber weapon' that cut better and not because straight swords worked better against armor (swords never worked very well against armor). During the heydey of the straight (spatha type) sword in Northern Europe most soldiers did not have any armor at all other than a shield and a helmet.

Yes, and they overwhelmingly fought with *spears*, not swords. Nor is the spatha the heydey of the straight sword, unless you are carrying the term "spatha" from the third century all the way into the 13th to include any sword with parallel edges. Take a look at the cultures that *heavily* armed their soldiers with swords in the Classical world and Late Antiquity: Romans, Greeks, Assyrians, Sarmatians, Celto-Iberians - and they are all wearing significant body armour. Armour that has vulnerabilities to the point; and mail, especially when it is not worn over padding, does not distribute impact over small bones. Warriors among the Germanic and northern Celtic tribes most likely to own and use *swords* were also those most likely to own and use *armour*. We aren't talking about hewing through helmets and slicing through a lorica hamata - we are talking about using a weapon that can counter its vulnerabilities.

Incidentally, there are several Byzantine military manuals - if I recall, Maurice's Strategikon being one of them, which is readily available - that discusses not only how to armour Imperial troops, but why each gets the weapons that he does.

When do swords become common secondary arms for Medieval infantrymen? The High Middle Ages. And most soldiers are wearing steel helmets, and padded or mail body defenses. You can say "that armour being a factor is a myth" all you like, but there is a reason that the two overlap in where and when they appear, and as armour gets heavier, swords first get bigger, and then, as it becomes more rigid, they change shape, and when it goes away, they go back to where they started, plus the introduction of the saber.

Further, as you like to point out, sabers are popular with *light* cavalry. The weapon appears in Eastern Europe first, not Western Europe which relied on *heavy* cavalry. Yet prior to the early modern era, the lance and bow have been the cavalry's first weapon as well. So if armour has no influence on sword form, why are the heavy cavalry in medieval Europe - the *dominant* military wing for half a millennium - and longer in places like Italy and Iberia, using *straight* swords?

Your own logic is inconsistent in this, and that is why I've said you seem more interested in proving me wrong than having a conversation.

[qyute]Whereas heavy shock cavalry of the 12th - 16th Century whose role was to slug it out preferred the double-edged sword, light cavalry whose role was to make a ride-by cut and get away, generally preferred curved swords because they are much better for weapon retention.

Right, to *slug it out*. Not to cut through armour, as you yourself said above. My point was and has been that straight sword have more concussive power and thrust better than a curved weapon. Sabers are better retained because they slice through and past - the more curved the truer that is. *Cutting* is something you do against unarmoured targets, the more unarmoured and the less you care about the thrust the more you emphasize the slice over the concussive power of the cut. And yet, here are those heavily armoured horsemen duking it out and falling *under a succession of blows*, not from cuts, because swords don't cut through armour. Yet the weapon was still being used. You are making my point for me.

Note that the Japanese wore heavy armour, by Asian standards, and that the tachi and the katana are straight enough to keep the point in line with the hand (either through reduced curvature of blade, or increased curvature of hilt, depending on the exact form), allowing it to thrust reasonably well, and retain far more concussive power in the cut than a tulwar or many forms of Turkik and Mongolian sabres. Why? Armour. I need to be able to disable through the gaps in the harness, and in the lighter armoured areas hit with enough force to do damage.

Now, while on the subject of mounted combat:

Quote:
A cut on a galloping horse roughly doubles the speed of impact, making it much harder to hold on to a sword. This is also why so many sabers (including the tachi) had a canted grip.

Do you ride Jean? Have you tried cutting with a sword or shooting a bow, at a gallop? Because cavalry attacks, with lance or sword, were *not* delivered on the gallop; you have the wrong gait. We know from reconstructing the techniques in the surviving manuscripts that the gait is *certainly not* a gallop or even close to a gallop, in the 15th and 16th centuries. Have you ever taken a hit from a *blunt* straight sword being wielded from horseback, whether on foot or in harness? 'cause I have. And again, it is the *concussive power* of the straight blade that makes it so damn effective for heavy cavalry. Cutting is not that crucial with 1200 lbs of animal behind a blade, and again, we know that in the Age of Mail, mounted knights did not drop from a blow, but from a succession of blows - concussive force more than slicing. You want a straight sword for that. So I agree *entirely* with you about why heavy cavalry used straight sword, but entirely disagree that armour isn't a factor.

Quote:
Shock infantry as the Roman Legionnaires, Franks, Visigoths, Lombards, and Vikings tended to use strait double-edged swords by preference, even though curved swords were also available. The straight sword also remained in use throughout the heydey of shock cavalry, among the Normans, the French Chevaliers etc, and the English as they increasingly adopted heavy infantry ... even though curved swords were available the entire time. In fact the last really prominent heavy shock cavalry in Europe, the Polish winged Hussars, carried both sabers and a strait sword called a palasch, which was a cutting sword similar to a schiavona. The saber was used for a ride-by attack, the palasch for the pitched fight.

Yes, as I said, because straight swords have more concussive power, and these troops are dealing with heavier armour. They are still more than sufficient to lop apart an unarmoured man, but they will deliver a great deal of crushing force to one that is in soft armour and flexible armour. And from horseback, they will still knock you silly in a heavy helm. I never disagreed with this.

Light troops are lightly armoured, use weapons with less concussive power and more slice. I've never said otherwise, and you are conflating my comments about *cutting* with *force*. The question is how sharp and how much cut do you need in your cut? A mace doesn't cut at all, but I really don't want to get hit with it. Wink Being more serious, I don't need to amputate limbs every time I swing my sword - I need to stop you. If I sever a bicep, that's plenty, if I simply break your forearm, that's good, too.

Quote:

You seem to really have a persecution complex Greg, I don't honestly remember waging a campaign of trying to discredit you on myArmoury, and it's certainly not my agenda, I just didn't agree with you in this thread. I think Mikes cutting was good, useful for HEMA training and not in any way artificial. I don't think you know what you are talking about regarding sabers and I couldn't figure out why you and Christian were picking at his video. But to be honest I don't really remember discussing anything with you since I left SFI forum something like ... five years ago? I don't know where you get that I'm out to get you.

Well, you didn't "leave" SFI, and we'll leave it at that. The three or so times we've been on a thread here, it has always been precisely this response, Jean. I believe the last time involved urban sword violence in medieval Europe....

Quote:

Greg, you have provided not a whit of scientific data of any kind yourself, you have merely dropped some names and claimed to represent the consensus. You got very upset when I asked you a simple question namely if your claim about sabers was backed up with any data at all.

Jean, I got upset when what you wanted was a YouTube video of someone cutting with a saber. That proves what? Mike has put up these videos, and done a nice job. He cuts better than I do. But he'd be the first to tell you - AND HAS - that there are all kinds of flaws in his cutting. He's not James Williams or Toshishiro Obata. What I was surprised by was your own desire to use one replica of one sword as proof that *as a rule* any straight sword cuts as well or better than any curved sword.

So what do you want me to say? I have a history degree in this period and have written and published on military history, I am pretty confident *have* handled a great deal more period weapons, have spoken and do speak face to face with actual experts than you have, I am close friends with several respected modern sword makers and have been in their shops, I do have *formal* training in a sword art that does test-cutting, and I have had the opportunity to use a great number of different swords to cut. That isn't "name dropping", those are my qualifications, and the one difference between us Jean, is that it's a matter of public record what I have and haven't done, with whom and where.

If this were a medical forum and you were discussing cholesterol, would it be relevant if a poster had any level of actual medical training? If we were on a military forum discussing military hardware and how it is being used in Afghanistan, would a Marine actually using the equipment in combat have more street cred than someone who has read up on it or shot at a range?

I'm not saying "believe me, I'm right", what I was saying was that the sum of my experience, combined with the writing of men who used swords in combat, living traditions of swordsmanship, and a comparison with how other edged weapons cut and transmit force is why I don't think this basic continuum is a "Victorian meme" nor was there anything radical in what I said. That is why it was a *general* comment.

I will say that Ewart spent six decades studying and handling these weapons to understand them *as tools*- your comment that "I'm jealous, but his knowledge was flawed" presumably in light of your own opinion, is hubris.

Quote:

In the meantime, neither you nor I clearly have any chance of convincing each other of anything, and I don't want to distress you too much more by disagreeing with you repeatedly, you are aware of my opinion and I am of yours.

J

My complaint is that you aren't. You took one comment that I made - that curvature aids in cutting, because it provides more draw and that this is why the katana and most sabres cut better than a straight sword, all things being equal - and took that to mean I said that straight swords don't cut. Which I never said. I specifically clarified my post that make it clear that there is a continuum between concussive power and slicing ability, and different swords sit in different places along the path, and that is determined by blade morphology, with a katana sitting in the middle so being quite good at cutting, whereas a straight sword is very good at concussive power and thrusting, and a very curved sword will slice and slash well, but does not "hew" nor does it thrust well. From that general statement, all of the other particulars then come into play.

Along the way, you've wanted to demonstrate that the idea that Europeans favored straight swords because they cut as well (or maybe better, I've never understood your point clearly enough) and that armour was not a factor. You then went on to establish and point to shock troops and heavy cavalry and their reliance on straight swords - units using armour.

I *do* appreciate your explaining your historical argument to me, but I don't see where it refuted my general point, and more often than not it supported it. So honestly, I still really don't understand what you were railing against, besides a general statement that I made, as part of a much longer discussion *not on the relevance of test-cutting*, but simply on making sure that the test-cutting is specifically married to how the weapon is used in a fight. *Specifically,* I was pointing out that while there may be quite a few body cuts in certain styles of JSA, there *aren't* in medieval European sources.

Take care,

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I I was just pointing out the same thing that you did, a good quality sword will cut better than a crap quality sword and that can trump the basic shape of the weapon.

We all said that, many, many posts ago. The issue of performance was based on all things being equal.

Quote:

I waded in here defending Mike and got sucked into a tenacious debate about some rather broad statements which were made about cutting. Hopefully the same won't happen to you in the thread. If you contradict certain people it's like you are enveloped in tentacles and dragged into the briny deep Eek! I think I see the BP oil gusher down here...

Except that I wasn't detracting from Mike, much as you said you weren't attacking me, I posted on what parts of the body we are told to cut and which we are not, and gave some opinions on what each edge is used for when cutting, again based on sources. If you look, you'll note that Mike and agreed more than not.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jun, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Mike has put up these videos, and done a nice job. He cuts better than I do. But he'd be the first to tell you - AND HAS - that there are all kinds of flaws in his cutting.

Greg,

I know you meant nothing by it, but please keep me out of arguments with other people.

Also, and I mean this with no disrespect whatsoever, while I freely admit there are many flaws in my cutting, when it comes to this latest video, I'm quite confident that you don't know what most, if not all, of those flaws are. Oh I'm sure you can name flaws that you percieve where my technique does not match your interpretations, but that's hardly the same thing, because we do things in fundamentally different ways. My flaws are where my technique does not match *my* goals. This is in no way a criticism of you, but if you don't know what my goals are, you can't know if I'm meeting them.

So again, please, I'd like to be kept out of it. I've had enough forum drama lately. You've been very nice to me in this topic, and I appreciate that, and I just want to sleep peacefully. Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pearce wrote:
Years back I wrote an article that outlines some of the many factors involved in a sword's ability to cut. I don't believe that forum rules allow me to cross-link to it however.

Tinker,
We have no rules against sharing materials from other sites, as long as the material is not protected by copyright or objectionable in some way. Unlike some other forums, we want people to have access to as much good material as is out there.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Michael Pearce wrote:
Years back I wrote an article that outlines some of the many factors involved in a sword's ability to cut. I don't believe that forum rules allow me to cross-link to it however.

Tinker,
We have no rules against sharing materials from other sites, as long as the material is not protected by copyright or objectionable in some way. Unlike some other forums, we want people to have access to as much good material as is out there.

Thanks for clarifying that Chad- I visit a lot of forums and they all change over time; sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the different rules! That being said the relevant points have already been made in this thread; linking the article in question at this late date in the thread would simply provide a new source of argument without adding to the discussion.

It is probably time for me to revisit the particular topic in light of things that I have learned since I wrote the original article but it should probably be in a new thread.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike,

Michael Edelson wrote:

So again, please, I'd like to be kept out of it. I've had enough forum drama lately. You've been very nice to me in this topic, and I appreciate that, and I just want to sleep peacefully. Happy

I had no intention of bringing you into it, just clarifying that I'd never attacked you in the first place, and I didn't think you'd felt I had. Really wasn't any more to say about it, nor is there really more to say on this thread, for my part.

See you in two weeks.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:

See you in two weeks.

One week and five days! Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg,

It's interesting to see how your position is evolving, and now plunging into a deep debate about how swords were used, inventing positions for me that I never had. Regarding armor, I think the point is that while armor existed, the ubiquity of armor in the field was not usually very high except during a relatively narrow range of time - and as often as not, only one side (like the Roman Legionnaires) has armor while the other side doesn't. And I've yet to see a lot of evidence that leather armor was widely used in Europe, but I'm really not interested in debating that with you. I don't think you have any interest in determining reality, rather than winning debates.

But all of that is irrelevant, we are talking past each other since you have no interest in my actual point, and you are still simply trying to argue from a position of AUTHORITAY.....

greg mele wrote:

Jean, I got upset when what you wanted was a YouTube video of someone cutting with a saber. That proves what? Mike has put up these videos, and done a nice job. He cuts better than I do. But he'd be the first to tell you - AND HAS - that there are all kinds of flaws in his cutting. He's not James Williams or Toshishiro Obata. What I was surprised by was your own desire to use

I never said he was, Toshishiro Obata this wasn't a matter of hero worship, I don't think his form was perfect either, I just disagreed with the idea that the cuts he was doing weren't useful for HEMA. Needless to say I never said this:

Quote:
one replica of one sword as proof that *as a rule* any straight sword cuts as well or better than any curved sword....any straight sword cuts better than any curved sword

Those are your words not mine. You are playing games.

And I never said you needed to provide a youtube video, I simply asked you if you had any evidence. You do not have any That is all you had to say. I was actually interested in knowing if you were ware of any studies on this subject, since those are the kinds of discussions we usually have in this forum. I am not in the least interested in your gradiose claims of being an authority.

Quote:

I am pretty confident *have* handled a great deal more period weapons, have spoken and do speak face to face with actual experts than you have, I am close friends with several respected modern sword makers and have been in their shops, I do have *formal* training in a sword art that does test-cutting,

Lol... so I should bow down to your expertise in European swords because you are a ninja? Incidentally I actually would love to see a youtube video of you cutting.

Quote:

and I have had the opportunity to use a great number of different swords to cut. That isn't "name dropping", those are my qualifications, and the one difference between us Jean, is that it's a matter of public record what I have and haven't done, with whom and where.

Well, I knew you believed that, but it's amusing to see you articulate it in an open forum. I'm not going to drop names because I don't want to drag anyone else down into this sordid debate, but where I've been and who I know isn't exactly a secret either since there are discussions, and yes, youtube videos, all over various forums. I've also participated in actual open international fencing tournaments - which were not judged by my buddies - that I suspect you would be afraid to attend.

And I can tell you candidly, your name is not as revered among these people as you seem to think. I'm starting to understand why. Someone who actually knows what they are talking about doesn't rely on claiming to be an authority to make their point. Most of the real HEMA practitioners I know are willing to put up or shut up, because they are interested in what actually works and not so much in the opinion of self-styled experts. All I asked you for was if you had any evidence to support your assertion, you replied with a lot of claims of being an authority, of knowing the consensus etc., But the reality is you were just expressing your opinion. Nothing more nothing less. And that would have been ok. But just like you express a lot of opinions about fencing, you expect people to take you at your word and go apoplectic if they don't. But I have news for you greg. That is not how we learn about this stuff in the world outside of your personal clique. And it's not how we discuss things outside of your personal forum.

Quote:
If this were a medical forum and you were discussing cholesterol, would it be relevant if a poster had any level of actual medical training? If we were on a military forum discussing military hardware and how it is being used in Afghanistan, would a Marine actually using the equipment in combat have more street cred than someone who has read up on it or shot at a range?

Of course, but you aren't a doctor, you aren't a badass marine killer combat veteran of fencing even though you appear to think you are. You are just another guy into swords like most of the other folks who post in this forum. Your only claim to being special is in the relatively unique status of thinking you truly are an expert. I've met (and crossed swords with) some of the top HEMA / Renaissance fencers in the world, including the top researchers in the field today and men who have won multiple international tournaments on more than one continent. And a sharp difference between them and you is that they approach the study of swords and fencing with humility, because they are aware that they don't know everything already and are interested in learning what they don't know regardless of the source. You come across in the opposite manner.

If you ever do make it to a real open tournament like at Dijon or Swordfish or Houston IOG or Dixie Krieg, let me know I'd be delighted to cross swords with you. And even if I can't make it for some reason I sure would like to see the youtube videos Wink

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also like to add for the other people reading the thread that I'm not interested in attacking Greg personally, his argument has been so heavily based on his own personal qualities that to disagree with him you have to disagree with his assertions of personal importance. Which dovetails with his expectation of personal attacks, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I participate on this forum to discuss fencing, swords, armor, archeology, medieval weapons and tactics and that sort of thing. I like this forum precisely because it's not about a cult of personality (unlike certain other places that shall not be named). People from all different cliques and factions within the academic, martial arts / HEMA and sword collecting worlds can come together here and discuss their mutual interests.

This is a place where I learn things. The debate on this thread is now more heat than light, and for that I apologize. The alternatives seem to be to play along with certain extreme opinions (and somebody trying to put down someone else who is actually providing some new data in this case) or get dragged into a big circular debate that goes on into infinity.

I apologize to anyone else reading the thread who got bored or annoyed by it, it wasn't my intention. Next time I'll limit myself to factual discussions.

J

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The personal attacks will stop immediately or I will start to revoke posting privileges. It's that simple. Knock it off. The expectations this site places on its members are already clear to the parties involved here. They've been discussed at length and I do not need to readdress them. I've sent out administrative private messages to try to steer this conversation into one that is discussing the issue at hand. Heed that advice.

Jean Henri Chandler, I appreciate your last note as it addresses the issue well and you're calling yourself out on your own bad behavior. Since you have shown that you clearly know better, my expectation on you going forward is that you stop the behavior now, as a mere apology unfortunately does not undo what has already been done.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Cory Winslow

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey again,

Upon reexamining some of these posts about whether to cut to longpoint or not I think that I was a bit confused about the terminology that we were using, and wanted to clarify my thoughts. I think that when cutting in the zufechten a full cut should be initially attempted. This cut should be to the opening with a good amount of power, but not necessarily an executioner's style cut. If a bind is achieved, then we should not continue to cut through, but instead keep the point in front of the opponent. So basically I begin my cut as a full one and if it hits the opponent I will most likely cleave a good bit into his head or take it off, but if he defends, then my cut is only halfway completed and my point remains in front of his face.

We can always talk about it at CW!

-Cory

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cory Winslow wrote:
Hey again,

Upon reexamining some of these posts about whether to cut to longpoint or not I think that I was a bit confused about the terminology that we were using, and wanted to clarify my thoughts. I think that when cutting in the zufechten a full cut should be initially attempted. This cut should be to the opening with a good amount of power, but not necessarily an executioner's style cut. If a bind is achieved, then we should not continue to cut through, but instead keep the point in front of the opponent. So basically I begin my cut as a full one and if it hits the opponent I will most likely cleave a good bit into his head or take it off, but if he defends, then my cut is only halfway completed and my point remains in front of his face.

We can always talk about it at CW!

-Cory

If one attack within range ( or closing to range ? ) where the point at least is close enough to actually reach the target then one's attack should be a real attack with " conviction & intent " to harm: If one misjudges or the opponent dodges the blow by voiding and creating more distance making the blow lack range then one keeps the point menacing as much as possible and attempts a thrust. If the blow ends up in a bind and then it becomes who can keep the initiative and dominate the bind, retreat or close into wresting range with or without other options like grabbing the other's point etc ..... a whole lot of different things can happen. Wink

A real attack might just work and end the fight, a real attack is menacing enough to usually force the opponent to defend and lose initiative but if a real attack is plan ( A), plan (B) is to almost always keep it tight and with the point menacing.

I avoided a lot of " technical " jargon here and just restated your comment in my own words the way I understand your words but if I misinterpreted I am very " VERY " interested in being corrected or having my understanding confirmed if I got it mostly right. Wink Happy Cool

( NOTE: Just using the " active " listening technique of repeating what one has understood in one's own words: This is useful to give the first person feedback about how they where understood and useful for the person doing the active listening to better understand by explaining the same thing ..... Almost like teaching since trying to teach to somebody else forces one to clarify one's thoughts ! If one can't explain it to somebody else then one doesn't understand it well enough to put it in words. Blush My apologies if this is self-evident and I'm being too pedantic.

I do notice though that a lot of " arguments/disputes " start by just not reading what is actually written and reading to much between the lines or reading " tone " that may not have been there or intentionally intended to be confrontational ).

[ Note 2 : Oh Cory the last in italic has nothing to do with your post just a general comment about the Topic thread ! Oh, and although there might have been a bit of " slippage " in the tone of this Topic I still found the arguments ( in the good sense of the word ) worth while. Wink Cool )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Cory Winslow

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you have it, Jean!

I would add that you should follow up your attack immediately with a second, third, and fourth, or wait to feel the opponent's intentions and then counter his technique whether you hit him or not with your first attack.

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Cory!

Yes, we should gab at CW...but here's one thought:

While I certainly think some power should be there, the risk with the full cut is if your opponent backs slightly out of measure. This give you the classic "swing and a miss" that sets up your opponent being able to Nachreisen (Chasing) to you:

Gloss – Note: chasing is diverse and manifold, and should be done with striking and thrusting with great foresight against combatants who strike free and long strokes, and will really observe nothing of the true art of the sword.

Do the Chasing Thus
When you come to him in the Zufechten, then stand with your left foot forward in the guard vom Tag and see what he is going to execute against you. If he strikes above long at you, then see that he doesn’t reach you with the stroke; and note as his sword goes down to the ground, and spring to him with your right foot, and strike above to his head, before he can come back up with his sword. Thus he is struck.

The above is, to me, a cautionary tale of full strokes. So, my preference these days is to cut with enough power such that I envision coming just past the target. This produces good power, but even if something misses, my point remains "in presence", even if not exactly in Langenort. To me, that's the best of both worlds: it hits hard, but fulfills the advice in the treatises to keep the point online. I'd also say it's technically still a half cut.*

Cheers,

CHT

* Though that's general fencing lingo. There's a different meaning in that advice on using the half-cut in the Verkehrer technique, per the von Danzig glosses. There, it seems to be a half blow because you don't step.

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Cory Winslow

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Christian!

Yes, Nachreisen is a cautionary tale of full strokes, but one that only comes into play when you continue your full stroke past the target after missing. If you initially attempt a full stroke, but see that it will miss or he will parry or something, then you can arrest it with the point online and go from there. The one way that you couldn't stop your cut after seeing that you should do so would be if you struck with too much force, which I would consider too wide and long and isn't a good idea in many situations.

That's my take on it for now at least!

-Cory

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Cory,

I think we may have a terminology difference here. A full cut is usually defined (and this is general fencing lingo - the L. tradition says nothing about this) as one that travels all the way through the centerline. A half cut is one that ends, at least roughly, in the centerline.

It's not about power or intent, per se, but travel. And this is where we come back to targeting, because if the target is the head or body, you're not going to finish that blow in Nebenhut, but in them. And that's where I've kinda been going with this - unless you miss (or, perhaps, cleave through an arm instead), you're never going to complete a full blow from the onset.

Can the *intent* to accomplish that relatively impossible feat help you with power generation. I'd say yes, to a point. But, as our Nachreisen example says, we have to be careful.

Oh, and just so you now...I've seen enough video of you guys to definitely *not* feel that you're over-cutting. I think we're just dancing around some definitions here.

Cheers,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Cory Winslow

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jun, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Christian,

Yep, there was some confusion of terminology, hence my earlier post. I thought that we may be saying the same thing in different words, but I just wanted to be sure. I completely agree with what you said in your latest post.

-Cory

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New cutting vid: combination cuts
Page 6 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: