Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > From whom does Mr. Chritian Tobler get his poleaxes? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: From whom does Mr. Chritian Tobler get his poleaxes?         Reply with quote

Hello:

I am wondering who makes the poleaxe used in Mr. Tobler's new Poleaxe DVD. It looks like the kind I've seen in the Higgens Museum's videos too. I'd be fun to have one. It looks better than the Windlass Bec de Corbin (which I can't find anywhere anymore), and hopefully is not as expensive as some others I've seen.

I'd like to have a poleaxe to go with my Lucerne Hammer, but I can't pay the prices I've seen. Not yet at least.

Thanks!

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Dustin Faulkner

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: I meant Christian Tobler (n/t)         Reply with quote

Sorry ... I misspelled his name.
DUSTIN FAULKNER
Christopher Valli
Industry Professional

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Which poleaxes do you mean specifically? We used several different ones in the video. Some were from Arms and Armor and we did use a pair of the old Windlass Becs for one sequence (since we weren't as worried about them getting beaten up)
Asst Instructor, Selohaar Fechtschule

Director, Speaking Window Productions, LLC
www.speakingwindowproductions.com
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dustin,

Probably the finest line of poleaxe available is made by Arms and Armor. http://www.arms-n-armor.com/polearms.html

As Chris has stated if your looking to beat your pole axe up through living history, training etc. then windless has a line as well http://museumreplicas.com/p-563-pole-axe.aspx

Cheers,

Todd
James Head

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or could he mean the rubber tipped training Hammer from Purpleheart Armoury?

http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/pole_hammer.htm

[EDIT] After re-reading the original post I realzed you meant the real Pollaxe in the video. I think I'll keep this link here just in case anyone is interested in the trainers. I own one and they are great.
Dustin Faulkner

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Must be the Windlass Bec de Corbin I saw         Reply with quote

I am refering to a poleaxe I saw with prongs in the front and a short top spike.
DUSTIN FAULKNER
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Must be the Windlass Bec de Corbin I saw         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
I am refering to a poleaxe I saw with prongs in the front and a short top spike.

I think you mean this one from Arms and Armor: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole232.html It is sweeter than a beach bunny. Probably, IMO, the finest reproduction pole axe on the market.
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Must be the Windlass Bec de Corbin I saw         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
Dustin Faulkner wrote:

I think you mean this one from Arms and Armor: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole232.html It is sweeter than a beach bunny. Probably, IMO, the finest reproduction pole axe on the market.

I second that - Bernard's got one, and it is SWEET!

I'm ordering myself a custom poleaxe, soon as A&A respond to my email... Razz

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Dustin Faulkner

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Who makes Mr. Tobler's poleaxe? And a thank you! :-)         Reply with quote

Hello:

I'm sort of reposting this question with specific details to help bring an answer. I like a particular poleaxe Mr. Tobler uses in his upcoming poleaxe video (I CAN"T WAIT!). In the opening sequence, Mr. Tobler's has four prongs like Windlass's Bed de Corbin - but it looks nicer. Mr. Valli (?) uses a poleaxe with three prongs that looks like A&A's nice Italian one.

I am curious about Mr. Tobler's poleaxe. It would compliment my Lucerne hammer based on an example at the Higgins. I simply don't know the replica weapons market very well. It seems everything either comes from A&A or the Czech Republic.

Also, I really do want to thank Mr. Tobler and his friends for making this series - especially the poleaxe DVD. It appears even Dr. Forgeng of the Higgins makes appearances. Use of the sword is well covered these days, but the use of polearms is almost neglected. They weren't just wall decorations.

I have always had a more serious historical interest since boyhood in how these polearms were actually used. I really got motivated after seeing a poleaxe demonstrated in an episode of "Weapons that made Britain." They were high-tech for their time. However, I do not have the means to search Europe for rare codices or fechtbuche.

So ... I for one deeply appreciate (and am thankful for) Mr. Tobler's efforts and passion. I think it is important to preserve this part of European heritage and perpetuate the revival of medieval martial arts. I'll never be in a real poleaxe or sword fight (thank goodness), and I never expect to be as proficient as the rest of you fellow myArmoury.com friends. The nearest group of experts (an ARMA chapter) are 4 or 5 hours away from me. But at the very least, Mr. Tobler and this website have allowed me to be more educated & conversant about medieval weapons. It is nice to not only be able to identify a weapon at a museum, but to also have some knowledge about how it was used. "Regular" friends are intrigued when I mention a longsword was three weapons in one, and what you see in the movies is bunk. No doubt, Mr. Tobler's DVDs will enlighten us even more.

For me, it's sort of like how my Dad was a fighter pilot. I myself have never experienced air combat. But I got to attend a fighter pilot debriefing once, and they were impressed with my correct calls and knowledge of energy management. I got offered a beer! So .... maybe I'll visit the Higgins museum one day, make a correct comment about weapons, and Dr. Forgeng will offer me a position! Wait! ... Sorry ... that was just a dream I had. I'm awake now. Back to my real job.

Sincerely,
Dustin Faulkner

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Christopher Valli
Industry Professional

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who makes Mr. Tobler's poleaxe? And a thank you! :-)         Reply with quote

Dustin Faulkner wrote:
. In the opening sequence, Mr. Tobler's has four prongs like Windlass's Bed de Corbin - but it looks nicer.

The one Christian uses is in fact a Windlass bec de corbin, however when I looked into it they no longer make the exact design Worried. The ones we used as props had been sitting in his basement for years. IMO the newer design does not look as nice, but maybe you can track down one of these older ones from a reseller or a private collector.

Asst Instructor, Selohaar Fechtschule

Director, Speaking Window Productions, LLC
www.speakingwindowproductions.com
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Who makes Mr. Tobler's poleaxe? And a thank you! :-)         Reply with quote

Hello Dustin!

Dustin Faulkner wrote:

I'm sort of reposting this question with specific details to help bring an answer. I like a particular poleaxe Mr. Tobler uses in his upcoming poleaxe video (I CAN"T WAIT!). In the opening sequence, Mr. Tobler's has four prongs like Windlass's Bed de Corbin - but it looks nicer. Mr. Valli (?) uses a poleaxe with three prongs that looks like A&A's nice Italian one.

I am curious about Mr. Tobler's poleaxe. It would compliment my Lucerne hammer based on an example at the Higgins. I simply don't know the replica weapons market very well. It seems everything either comes from A&A or the Czech Republic.

I've been away in Europe, so I just saw your PM and this post, so please forgive my tardiness in getting back to you.

As Chris Valli noted, we used the Windlass Bec de Corbins for the opening judicial duel sequence. These are not available anymore, but there are far nicer axes on the market that are along similar lines. One of these is the A&A Italian axe, which we feature in other segments in the video, along with their other excellent poleaxe offerings.

Quote:
Also, I really do want to thank Mr. Tobler and his friends for making this series - especially the poleaxe DVD. It appears even Dr. Forgeng of the Higgins makes appearances. Use of the sword is well covered these days, but the use of polearms is almost neglected. They weren't just wall decorations.

We really enjoyed this project, despite it being quite hard work at times, so you're welcome!

Quote:
I have always had a more serious historical interest since boyhood in how these polearms were actually used. I really got motivated after seeing a poleaxe demonstrated in an episode of "Weapons that made Britain." They were high-tech for their time. However, I do not have the means to search Europe for rare codices or fechtbuche.

So ... I for one deeply appreciate (and am thankful for) Mr. Tobler's efforts and passion. I think it is important to preserve this part of European heritage and perpetuate the revival of medieval martial arts. I'll never be in a real poleaxe or sword fight (thank goodness), and I never expect to be as proficient as the rest of you fellow myArmoury.com friends. The nearest group of experts (an ARMA chapter) are 4 or 5 hours away from me. But at the very least, Mr. Tobler and this website have allowed me to be more educated & conversant about medieval weapons. It is nice to not only be able to identify a weapon at a museum, but to also have some knowledge about how it was used. "Regular" friends are intrigued when I mention a longsword was three weapons in one, and what you see in the movies is bunk. No doubt, Mr. Tobler's DVDs will enlighten us even more.

The DVD really is an attempt to highlight the weapon itself, along with appropriate techniques for its use. We drew upon several sources within the Liechtenauer tradition; 85% of what we show is drawn directly from specific techniques described in the manuscripts, with the remainder extrapolated from those techniques and those for related weapons.

Quote:
For me, it's sort of like how my Dad was a fighter pilot. I myself have never experienced air combat. But I got to attend a fighter pilot debriefing once, and they were impressed with my correct calls and knowledge of energy management. I got offered a beer! So .... maybe I'll visit the Higgins museum one day, make a correct comment about weapons, and Dr. Forgeng will offer me a position! Wait! ... Sorry ... that was just a dream I had. I'm awake now. Back to my real job.

Well, we hope you'll enjoy this video Dustin...it's at the production house right now and should be available in roughly two weeks.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well Dustin...as you'll see elsewhere on this site, the DVD didn't take 2 weeks after all. It's available now. Happy

Thanks again,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > From whom does Mr. Chritian Tobler get his poleaxes?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic