Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Heavy arbalest testing Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next 
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I think we are in agreement, and I applaud your efforts as I'm sure you know. Hopefully more data will come to light.

Regarding your ratios of thickness and dimensions to draw weight, would that not also depend on the specific temper of the steel, how stiff / springy it was? Maybe that is one of the elusive factors. Certainly period forging techniques and, I know this is somewhat controversial but I suspect period metalurgy and steel were better for making swords than modern steels, which are ideal for making i-beams, rebar, washing machines etc. Maybe there are similar factors at work with crossbow prods.

Do you forge the shape of your prods or do you use stock reduction?

Also... I totally understand your concern about testing stronger prods. It could be very dangerous. I wonder what kind of testing-rig Royal Armouries used...

J

I must jump in here in defence of modern steels . the idea that old steel is better for making swords or crossbows of any kind is simply not true.
and I may hasten to add that I am someone who is much enamoured by ancient steel and spends a lot of time making the stuff from ore and carburised wrought iron in order to re visit these old steels. They are beautiful materials and you can make good weapons with them but.....
The reality is that modern steels are in every way better and if you replace "washing machine" and "I beam" with "jet engine components" and" racing car suspension" you will see modern steels performing in ways simple wrought steel will never manage ,no matter how they were treated.
The same goes for heat treatment , in the modern world it is both repeatable and precise.
There is great skill in a lot of old metalwork but no magic..........

May I ask what the evidence for old crossbow performance actually is based on ?

Mythes and misinformation abound when talking about weapons of any kind is there any factual modern information ?

Temper or hardness of a spring be it a crossbow or sword has no relation how stiff it is . this is counter intuitive and I have done experiments to confirm to my self that this is actually the case , a fully hard piece of steel will deflect the same as an annealed piece under a given load providing that the materials elastic limit is not exceeded.

forging soul into steel .

www.owenbush.co.uk the home of bushfire forge school of smithing .
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen Bush wrote:

Temper or hardness of a spring be it a crossbow or sword has no relation how stiff it is . this is counter intuitive and I have done experiments to confirm to my self that this is actually the case , a fully hard piece of steel will deflect the same as an annealed piece under a given load providing that the materials elastic limit is not exceeded.

This is interesting and as you say counter intuitive.

Does hardening the steel simply increase the elastic limit to beyond the state of annealed steel, and beyond some optimum point where the steel's is an ideal spring, further hardening makes the elastic limit even higher but at failure instead of bending we get catastrophic failure as the piece of steel chatters rather than bends ( Takes a set ) ?

Stiffness of a prod would also be a question it's crossection and tapering: A heavier draw weight shown by a thicker cross section everything else being equal ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Owen Bush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jan, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Owen Bush wrote:

This is interesting and as you say counter intuitive.

Does hardening the steel simply increase the elastic limit to beyond the state of annealed steel, and beyond some optimum point where the steel's is an ideal spring, further hardening makes the elastic limit even higher but at failure instead of bending we get catastrophic failure as the piece of steel chatters rather than bends ( Takes a set ) ?

Stiffness of a prod would also be a question it's crossection and tapering: A heavier draw weight shown by a thicker cross section everything else being equal ?

yes that is exactly as I understand it

forging soul into steel .

www.owenbush.co.uk the home of bushfire forge school of smithing .
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi All,

Unfortunately I never have enough time to run all the tests I and we would like, but I have another big bow just finished.

The steel is pretty much like the one on my bow in that it is 15x 50 at the centre and is 700 tip to tip - so a pretty regular size for a medieval war bow. It draws to 165mm (6 3/8"), again the right kind of distance for these bows and pulls about 850lb

Interestingly for me I shot this side by side with my windlass bow with which it has some notable differences. They have similar sized steels but my bow draws to 140mm (5 1/2") and so is about 700lb. The string on mine was made a few years ago as is significantly heavier than the one on the new bow. In comparison the extra draw, extra power and lighter string has made an easily noticeable increase in performance - you can hear and see it. Nice kick too.

Pictures 1 and 2 show the bow

picture 4 shows the bolt heads at the rear of the boss - which was brand new and hard as nails. These were shot from the new bow.

Picture 5 shows a bolt from my bow and how far it penetrated, so not quite through the boss.

picture 7 shows the same bolt shot from the new bow and it again significantly penetrates the rear of the boss.

Picture 6 shows the two bolts shot from the new bow going through the same steel as before.

The old bolt (with the rounded fletch) weighed 62gm and were about 15mm 5/8" the new bolts weighed about 50g and were 12mm 1/2" diameter. The heavier and fatter bolt penetrated as far through the boss as the new lighter ones so of course given the choice you would pick the heavier. Through the steel they seemed to perform about the same but the heads are quite different on the two bolts so no comparison can be drawn from that. I will try and make up a heavier bolt and see what that does.

What is notable is that penetration on steel is still pretty poor but a heavier bolt may help this. I must get down to some more museums and measure weights because this is critical I think.

I also talked to the man I sold the last heavy bow to and he is about to start a series of tests with it down at Bristol Uni and I will keep you abreast of any hard data that comes from it.

Regards

Tod

Attachment: 217.92 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 182.74 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 112.84 KB
4.JPG

Attachment: 151.55 KB
7.JPG

Attachment: 145.71 KB
6.JPG

Attachment: 193.3 KB
[ Download ]

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool, Leo!

I looked, but I couldn't find a figure for the thickness of the sheet steel you were shooting through? Did I miss it somewhere?

Non Concedo
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great stuff Leo fascinating please keep posting. Very interested in the weight issue.

What was the distance and per above, thickness and type of the steel sheet? 1mm mild steel?

Can you tell me anything more about the 'strings' you used?

Have you tried this type of test with a cranequin style arbalest or only with the windlass type?

EDIT: Regarding the weight, it is interesting that, according to the English Warbow Society at any rate, while ordinary target and flight arrows were in the 50-60g range, the war arrows were close to double that weight.

http://www.englishwarbowsociety.com/EWBS_ARRO...TIONS.html

Finally, I notice you have what look like wooden vanes on the bolts, weren't leather or paper vanes more common, and have you done much investigation of vanes designed to impart spin?

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Wed 09 Mar, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 09 Mar, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen Bush wrote:

I must jump in here in defence of modern steels . the idea that old steel is better for making swords or crossbows of any kind is simply not true.
and I may hasten to add that I am someone who is much enamoured by ancient steel and spends a lot of time making the stuff from ore and carburised wrought iron in order to re visit these old steels. They are beautiful materials and you can make good weapons with them but.....
The reality is that modern steels are in every way better and if you replace "washing machine" and "I beam" with "jet engine components" and" racing car suspension" you will see modern steels performing in ways simple wrought steel will never manage ,no matter how they were treated.
The same goes for heat treatment , in the modern world it is both repeatable and precise.
There is great skill in a lot of old metalwork but no magic..........

May I ask what the evidence for old crossbow performance actually is based on ?

Mythes and misinformation abound when talking about weapons of any kind is there any factual modern information ?

Owen,

Regarding the evidence for old crossbow performance, most of what I quoted upthread comes from the records of the state of the Teutonic Order ( Ordensstaat) in Prussia from the 14th and 15th Centuries, but that is one of only a score or so of period sources which all say roughly the same thing, as do Charles Ffoulkes and Alan Williams based on their various sources.

Speaking of crossbows and the Teutonic Order, I'm not sure if I posted a link to this 1998 article by Sven Ekdahl or not yet, it may be of some interest.

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/articles/ekdahl.htm

Among the statistics he mentions in the article, he states:

Steel prod crossbows draw weight up to 500 kg

[composite prod] Stirrup crossbows up to 150 kg

He gives some stats for the latter, claiming that the '...stirrup crossbow (Steigbügelarmbrust) weighed up to 4 kg, of which 2 kg were accounted for by the bow. This, like the stock, was about 90 cm in length and the sectional dimensions at the middle were about 23 by 54 mm. In the case of a long-range shot of something over 300 m the bolt, after about nine seconds, struck the ground steeply at an angle of 70o. Although the energy on impact fell to about half the initial energy, the shot was still effective up to 200 m'.121 in the footnote he mentions another weapon, a 'strong wall crossbow') with the weight is 8.6 kg; 110 cm long, 95.5 cm broad and 11 cm high.

His sources include:
S. Ekdahl, 'Die Armbrust im Deutschordensland Preussen zu Beginn des 15. Jahrhunderts', in FAH, 5, pp. 17-48 (at p. 21).
R. Payne-Gallwey, The Crossbow, Medieval and Modern, Military and Sporting. Its Construction, History and Management. With a treatise on the Balista and Catapult of the Ancients and an Appendix on the Catapult, Balista and the Turkish Bow (first published 1903, 7th impression London, 1981). Also see J. Alm, Europeiska armborst. En översikt, Vaabenhistoriske aarbøger, V b (Copenhagen, 1947), and E. Harmuth, Die Armburst. Ein Handbuch (Graz, 1986).

With regard to modern vs. period metalurgy and the relevant suitability for ancient weapons and armor, I am reluctant to admit I respectfully disagree with you. In a nutshell, I don't think alloys for jet engines are necessarily ideal for swords or crossbow prods any more than alloys for I-beams and washing machines are. I don't think it's a simple one-dimensional quality scale from primitive medieval metalurgy to sophisticated modern metalurgy. But I admit it's just a hunch.

You are an accomplished bladesmith while I'm a nobody in the field and certainly a neophyte at forging (I've made a grand total of two knives out of railroad spikes in a crude brake drum forge to date) so your opinion obviously carries more weight than mine, and I can only base my own opinion at the moment on a vague sense from the aggregation of data over the years, and a few things said by some other smiths like Paul Champagne which got me thinking. But I'll try to put that in a more concrete form here in the future at some point when I have more time.

It would be interesting in the meantime to hear the opinions of some of the other notable bladesmiths who post here, Peter, Angus, etc. I suspect Angus would agree with you, not sure about all the others.

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo, did you ever try this with a heavier bolt?

J

Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think there's a relation between draw length and accuracy. In China the powerful multiple bow crossbows or the Spring and Autumn pistol-crossbows (a bow on a pistol crossbow prod) all had long draw lengths, but the precision instruments used by China's "barbarian" southern neighbors for hunting very small game seem to have very short draw length. Looking at the records about Chinese use of crossbows in warfare, they seem to have been very much into volume of fire, with one or more arrows per loose. On the other hand they employed mercenaries from the southern tribes as snipers with poisoned arrows. http://www.atarn.org/chinese/chin_arc.htm
Medieval Europe seems to me to have bought more into the sniper than into the volume use of crossbows as far as we know.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:
I think there's a relation between draw length and accuracy.

Modern crossbows use 15+-inch power strokes and boast impressive accuracy.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are MODERN crossbows. Looking at ANCIENT crossbows short draw length seems to be a principle of precision weapons. I'm sure you'll note that today we can do a lot more things with a lot more precision than in the Middle Ages and earlier.
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, but what could be possibly reason for longer power stroke to reduce accuracy/repetitiveness in any way?

And why wouldn't it affect modern crossbows similarly, with, all in all, relatively similar strings (working on the same principle, just usually lighter will being less prone to stretching).?
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bartek Strojek wrote:
OK, but what could be possibly reason for longer power stroke to reduce accuracy/repetitiveness in any way?

And why wouldn't it affect modern crossbows similarly, with, all in all, relatively similar strings (working on the same principle, just usually lighter will being less prone to stretching).?

Unequal friction with the prod and not well-matched arms of the bow would be reasons that make the projectile fly with a different horizontal angle. If using a bow such a slight variance in vertical angle will hardly be noticeable.
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is that with equal "muzzle" velocity bow with longer draw length will take more time to accelerate the projectile than bow with short draw length (time = distance / speed). That means that recoil (and crossbows do have recoil) would affect the shooter for a longer time. Nothing a proper shooting technique would not compensate for though. In middle ages people were able to create amazingly precise things. I think that variation in projectile shape and weight would have much greater effect on the accuracy than imperfections in bolt guide of a decently manufactured crossbow.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The short power strokes of European crossbows do confuse me, given the advantages of having a longer one. Ancient Han crossbows had a long power stroke similar to the modern design. They also sported precisely cast bronze trigger mechanisms and grid sights. European crossbows before the fifteenth century as well as many later Chinese ones appear crude by comparison. We could conclude simple technological superiority for the Han, but I don't find that completely satisfying. Anna Komnene's account of the penetrative force of Crusader crossbows is hard to explain if we assume short power strokes for that period.

With later European crossbows, technical details mandate short power strokes. Mechanical spanning devices such the goat's foot lever and cranequin as well steel prods make long draws impractical. The higher draw weight involved allows for sufficient impact without a long power stroke. However, it's interesting to note that the crossbow's glory days - at least judging by written accounts - came with the early designs rather than the complex later ones. Various records from Komnene's era extoll the virtues of the weapon. By the fourteenth century you have crossbowmen routed by English archers. In the fifteenth you have a volley of bolts described as inflicting no more damage than a shower of rotten apples. I can't think of positive accounts of crossbows during those centuries and only one from the sixteenth, by which time the weapon had already lost its place to the gun. I don't know what to make of it. Powerful crossbows existed across Europe during this time and saw widespread use, yet nobody appears to have been terribly impressed with them. The primitive English warbow, on the other hand, received regular acclaim.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Owen Bush said:

"Temper or hardness of a spring be it a crossbow or sword has no relation how stiff it is . this is counter intuitive and I have done experiments to confirm to my self that this is actually the case , a fully hard piece of steel will deflect the same as an annealed piece under a given load providing that the materials elastic limit is not exceeded."

This principle is known as the Fourth Law of Steel, at least here in the U.S. Happy It seems to be little known among people who make or buy swords!

jamesarlen.com
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
The short power strokes of European crossbows do confuse me, given the advantages of having a longer one. Ancient Han crossbows had a long power stroke similar to the modern design. They also sported precisely cast bronze trigger mechanisms and grid sights. European crossbows before the fifteenth century as well as many later Chinese ones appear crude by comparison. We could conclude simple technological superiority for the Han, but I don't find that completely satisfying. Anna Komnene's account of the penetrative force of Crusader crossbows is hard to explain if we assume short power strokes for that period.

With later European crossbows, technical details mandate short power strokes. Mechanical spanning devices such the goat's foot lever and cranequin as well steel prods make long draws impractical. The higher draw weight involved allows for sufficient impact without a long power stroke. However, it's interesting to note that the crossbow's glory days - at least judging by written accounts - came with the early designs rather than the complex later ones. Various records from Komnene's era extoll the virtues of the weapon. By the fourteenth century you have crossbowmen routed by English archers. In the fifteenth you have a volley of bolts described as inflicting no more damage than a shower of rotten apples. I can't think of positive accounts of crossbows during those centuries and only one from the sixteenth, by which time the weapon had already lost its place to the gun. I don't know what to make of it. Powerful crossbows existed across Europe during this time and saw widespread use, yet nobody appears to have been terribly impressed with them. The primitive English warbow, on the other hand, received regular acclaim.

You read English literature on the topic? Try Italian, French, Scandinavian or German.

This point didn't seem to come across clear enough. Defects in a crossbow lead strongly to horizontal angle variance. For vertically held bows this is not so much the case. Shortening the draw length reduces horizontal angle divergence.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt Scholz wrote:
You read English literature on the topic? Try Italian, French, Scandinavian or German.

I was thinking of neither literature nor of English-language sources, which hardly even exist for most of the periods in question. The "shower of rotten apples" example, for instance, comes from an anonymous French chronicle.
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not sure why the bows were such a short draw beyond the earlier points I made, but they seem to be about 160-170mm approx (6.5-7"). I can't see why longer or shorter draws should effect accurracy particularly, but modern bows are more accurate because they are CNC made and computer designed using finite element and have longer bows because it is more efficient. You can bet that if our medieval cousins could have used 15 or 17" draws they would have done.

Military bolts were munition grade items, made by the hundreds and kept in store, but not made (on the whole) to a design specification. I suspect like anything similar these days, they were knocked out and basically were capable of going fast in the general direction of the enemy but not that much more in terms of accuracy.

I am still trying to work out the general power of big bows. As a rough look at a war longbow with a brace of 3" and a draw of 32" and a weight of 140lb compared to a 900lb crossbow with a 6.5" draw the pound/inch numbers are not that different and the projectile weights are not that different, so you could conclude that the performance should be similar in terms of distance, although my big bows seem to be a little down on what you would expect.

As regards penetration, the cranfield tests show the stop/start penetration of the longbow arrows due to the flexing of the shaft and the bolts don't have that ability so if we assume that we have two projectiles of similar energy, one being a bolt, the other an arrow; it is reasonable to assume the arrow will penetrate steel better.

Documents seem to show the crossbow bolts travel significantly further, though I am not sure why this should be the case. What I am currently thinking about is the truth surrounding power and penetration. I am certain that longbows effectively outshot crossbows as regards a cumulative effect ie 100 longbows verses 100 crossbows in open fields, I suspect that longbows and crossbows were comparative as to distance shot, with the crossbow possibly slightly outdistancing the longbow. I am also fairly certain that the crossbow was intially a relatively powerful weapon that could penetrate (or often enough to count) contemporary armour and this is where its reputation rose up. As armour improved its effect was lessened.

I am afraid Jean that I have not tried a heavier bolt yet and nor have I got to a museum to weigh some, but I was at the RA in Leeds and most of the bolts looked pretty as I make them, certainly not 20-30g heavier. But without getting some numbers and some tests I can't yet offer anything firmer. I did have a good chat about it with the curator I was with and he seemed of the opinion that accounts of distance and penetration may have been exagerated.

I still have a bow being tested by a private client at Bristol University and that will shed some information in due course. I also hope to get into some museums to measure this summer and make replicas based on these - all takes time though.

I am constantly trying to see where replica bows may fall short on performance and I have thought of two areas to currently look at, but I do wonder the fact of all this. I am slowly working my way through it all

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
You can bet that if our medieval cousins could have used 15 or 17" draws they would have done.

Yet the ancient Chinese did exactly that. Interestingly, the author of the Han crossbow calculations attributes this to the smaller size of the Chinese trigger mechanism:

Quote:
European crossbows can only have 9 to 14 inches as a maximum draw because of the bulky trigger mechanism. The Chinese mechanism, on the other hand, is smaller and allows the rest of the staff to be used as the draw length. Having a draw length that is 4 inches more is significant in archery.

Of course, this would only apply to earlier European crossbows with composite prods, but it still could be a step toward explaining the mystery.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Heavy arbalest testing
Page 5 of 19 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: