Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unabashed plug for Albion Armorers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Unabashed plug for Albion Armorers         Reply with quote

I visited Peter Johnsson today, and had the opportunity to handle six Albion-made swords. As I had only handled Peter’s prototypes for the Museum Collection’s ”Brescia” and ”Solingen”, it was the first time I handled the production swords. I was blown away! Keep in mind that I’ve handled about a hundred antique swords, about a dozen of them very well-preserved real medieval swords from some of the major collections, plus about a hundred different production swords by over half a dozen European, Asian, and American makers. I’ve collected swords for 15 years, and thought I had seen it all. The Albion swords felt like the real thing, and blew the repro stuff out of the water!

Some of you might have noticed that I haven’t posted here as much this year as I used to. The reason is a sword burn-out, where I felt that the subject had lost much of what initially attracted me to it. But after handling the Albion swords, I felt rejuvenated. These are the real thing! The beautiful proportions, the subtle shaping of the sharp edges, the crisp fullers (or in one case, the crisp hollow-grind), the hilt components, the grip wrap… Albion has succeded in translating Peter’s designs and prototypes into real fighting swords that convey the ”PJ” feel. I’ve known Peter for over ten years, and handled many of his custom swords, and feel confident in my claim that if you buy an Albion sword, you get a custom-class production sword, thanks to the extensive design and prototype process headed by Peter, and the excellent work by the Albion staff. It is a mistake to think that ”production” equals ”machine-made”, as the final grinding, polish, and assembly are made by hand. Handling the swords, I didn’t experience the mass-produced feel that many other brands display. Peter showed me a CNC-ground blade blank, and it was then I realized what a true master Jason is at hand-finishing the blades. There's a lot more work put into it than meets the eye. Crisp, even and with perfect edges, they were in a league of their own, and coupled with the superior hilt wrap and the hand-finished hilt components, they formed a perfect whole.

I handled the ”Regent”, the ”Duke”, the ”Knight”, the ”Ritter”, the ”Vinland” and the ”Clontarf”. I must say that Albion has got these swords down pat. All of them handled beautifully, and I feel supremely confident in endorsing the whole line. The ”Ritter” gave me the same feeling as I got when I handled a Fairburn-Sykes British commando dagger for the first time: this weapon means business - a real fighting tool! The all too common feel when handling a production sword, that it is ”almost but not quite” a real sword, wasn’t there. It was a 100% real sword. Simply put: at the prices asked, you get a superior product. They would still be worth it if Albion asked 50% more for the swords. Compared to production swords half that price, the Albion swords aren’t twice as good – they are ten times as good! But the good stuff didn’t stop there. I handled the prototype for a Messer, and I must say that the test-cutting crowd is up for a real treat. By pure chance, Eric McHugh phoned Peter while I was there, and I got the chance to personally convey my congratulations on a job very well done. I repeat what I said to him: My hat is off to Albion. This stuff rocks!

My sword site
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you Bjorn.

Now you know why we've been so excited!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, gotta love that prototype Messer. What a lovely little piece of... CHOP CHOP! Razz
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joachim Nilsson wrote:
Yup, gotta love that prototype Messer. What a lovely little piece of... CHOP CHOP! Razz

Hey Guys,

Keep in mind that the prototype you guys have seen for the messer is one of Peter's forged blades, and not a machined prototype. It is coming up in the design queu, but we have not completed one to date yet.

Jason Dingledine
Joachim Nilsson

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Dingledine wrote:
Joachim Nilsson wrote:

Hey Guys,

Keep in mind that the prototype you guys have seen for the messer is one of Peter's forged blades, and not a machined prototype. It is coming up in the design queu, but we have not completed one to date yet.

Yes, I know. Happy I was quite surprised when I saw Peter's own logotype on the blade, so that got me thinking. Peter was set things straight and rid me of my confusion. None the less, lovely prototype and one that also gave an inkling of what the NextGen might turn out to be like. Razz I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys will come up with in the end. I'm quite sure it will be great.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They are even more fun to kill pool noodles with than they are too look at.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Well, while I didn't expect less from Albion, it was really nice to see that they had managed to combine form, finish, and function. Usually, a reproduction sword lacks in one of three departments: performance, aesthetics and finish. Not so Albion. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much Peter's hand was evident in swords that he hadn't touched!

My sword site
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you so much Bjorn for the compliments. You don't know how much that means to us. You really made a bunch of people's days in Wisconsin with your comments. Big Grin We ALL appreciate it!!!!
Mike Sigman
Albion Swords
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Well, while I didn't expect less from Albion, it was really nice to see that they had managed to combine form, finish, and function. Usually, a reproduction sword lacks in one of three departments: performance, aesthetics and finish. Not so Albion. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much Peter's hand was evident in swords that he hadn't touched!

Indeed.

Now that I own a PJ as well as several Next Gen swords it's interesting to note the similarities.

Albion and Peter make quite a team.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:

Indeed.

Now that I own a PJ as well as several Next Gen swords it's interesting to note the similarities.

Albion and Peter make quite a team.

Not long ago I was hard pressed to own something made by Peter. I even made it so far as to email him for estimate's on a particular design. Peter was more than helpful and interested in what I had in mind and even went through the trouble of writing some extensive comments concerning my request. I was well prepared to lay out all my available cash but unfortunately at that point Peter had decided not to take on any custom orders. Naturally I understood but it was a little dissapointing. When Albion introduced this new line with Peter on board I was really excited because I knew it was going to be something special. Now I can finally own several swords researched and designed by Peter and built by the extremely talented folks at Albion. Man, talk about the best of both worlds Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Unabashed plug for Albion Armorers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic