Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A few Del Tin swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom, I looked at 5152 but I already have a hanwei Tinker GSoW XIIIa. About the hilt maker, he's here in Croatia so I think it wouldn't be feasible for you to order from him, shipping and all that. And he is not experienced in sword busyness, I often have to come back to him with finished hilt for some modification or rehilt if it doesn't fit well, but I can do this easily as he lives 10, 15 minutes drive from me. Wink
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin 2070 migration era and 2071 Lombard blades entered the contest too. Wink
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess I could be considered somewhat of a "fan" of Del Tins, even though I am aware of their shortcomings (and what production sword does not have some of those? It depends on what you are willing to sacrifice for what you are willing to gain, IMHO, YMMV, etc etc). Okay, that being said....

1. 2163 Claymore -- not my favorite Del Tin, and not my favorite repro Claidheamh Da Laimh. IIRC it's about 6.5 lbs. The hilt of mine has been perpetually loose, despite tightening it up with a ballpeen hammer a few times, even though I don't cut with it. It's in no danger of falling apart, but it is annoying. If you want a good two-hand "Claymore", get an Arms & Armor Highland Claymore (someone else mentioned Armour Class, since you're in Europe that might make more sense. I've never handled one of AC's two-handers but their single hand swords have been really nice).

2. 2070 -- One of my favorite Del Tins, and one of my favorite production swords. It's of a decent weight at 2.5 lbs but it definitely has blade presence (with a CoG at about 7 inches or so, I believe?). I believe this to be historically accurate for a migration-era sword, however, and it can be mastered with little practice. You also have to get used to the rather smallish grip -- with migration/Viking era swords, a smallish grip is the norm, but if you learn proper techniques for cutting with a migration/Viking type sword, the smallish grip becomes a non-issue.

3. 2071 -- another favorite, a bit heavier than the 2070, but with a closer CoG, so it kind of balances things out.

And who else makes decent migration-era swords on a production basis? Albion made one a while back....

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A few Del Tin swords
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: