myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Robin Hood Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
To be fair it seems to me that we have to ask who or what kind of person was the real Robin Hood or King Arthur or if they even existed. It is, after all, pretty tricky to be authentic when the character is fictional. Now the question becomes authentic to what?

It doesn't really matter how they decide to interpret whichever legend; again, to me that isn't the problem. The problem is when they pick an historical era and a specific place and say, ok this is our interpretation: King Arthur was a Saromatian in 6th Century Northumbria. Ok fine. Then they dress up as the Picts as filthy cavemen, the Saxons as Capital One Barbarians and etc. It's not about debating the interpretation of a legend, they are saying this legend existed in this historical time which according to them was essentially something like a Medieval Times restaurant. Or a display in the Idiocracy "Time Masheen".

I don't mind in the least if you chose to hold your nose and enjoy it anyway, I'm just saying I don't buy the rationalizations that it doesn't matter, or the idea that accuracy and 'fun' are mutually exclusive.

Quote:
I was once watching a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western on a VCR and managed to stop the film at the perfect time to see that smoke came out of his revolver barrel before the hammer fell on the cartridge or primer.

Again, that is an example of a trivial detail that I couldn't care less about; it's more to do with how 'tight' the production value was not whether or not it was a decent film with a plausible plot. I think this kind of superficial stuff is what is often confused for quality. From where I sit, the production values were much better on the 2010 'Clash of the Titans' than the 1981 version, but the latter was a better film (not great but much better). The 2010 version, which I regret to say I saw, was about as interesting to me as a bad sci fi channel movie. I used to always get at least something out of almost any historical or quasi-historical film, I'm finding that is less and less the case with the ones coming out today, though there are a few exceptions. I liked this version of Beowulf for example, despite some technical errors.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alain D. wrote:
I think one reason they don't always have those elaborate suits of historic armor is the cost to produce such pieces. Some of the links on here for suggested armor pieces were made for the wealthiest nobility and would cost quite a bit to make today. I would love to see that stuff in movies, but I can see why they wouldn't. .

I wouldn't care if they made armour from latex or fibreglass so long as they got the look right. You can't expect actors to be running around all day in metal armour. It does not cost more to make accurate costumes than the crap costumes they come out with. As an example, in Lord of the Rings most of the mail armour was made of rings cut from PVC tubing. It looked brilliant.

I'm with those who say it doesn't matter if the movie is historically accurate, so long as they don't claim "historically accurate" when it clearly isn't.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler commented In reference to the spaghetti western observation,"Again, that is an example of a trivial detail that I couldn't care less about; ..." I guess its the dentists see teeth thing, you know? You notice what is important to you or what you know about. For me, seeing smoke come out of the barrel before the hammer fell was like seeing someone get into a car and drive it away without starting it, it just felt WRONG.

Wow, you saw Clash of the Titans? That promo with the line "Release the kraken." was more than enough to keep me away!

We aren't really disagreeing, we just see different things, that's all. I agree that it would be nice once in a while to see a Hollywood movie that paid some attention to period authenticity. I regret to say that I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime.

Yes, that version of Beowulf seemed pretty good. I was bothered that they set it in Iceland but it seemed to work artistically. I have to admit seeing men practically dragging their feet on the ground while riding those little Icelandic horses looked pretty amusing to me.
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

Just got back from seeing "Robin Hood", and I'm of mixed feelings about it.

We could debate the "historical accuracy" and the costuming until the cows come home. Some of the kit was good, other bits, not so much.

I enjoyed, even thoroughly, the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the film. Having Robin not be "of Loxley", but just a yeoman who through various circumstances ends up sort of taking the real Loxley's place was a unique twist, I thought. I was expecting them to continue with that plot hook.
But then we got to the sacking of Nottingham, and the film just sort of... falls apart.

And I think that's where it will falter among moviegoers and critics, because ultimately despite the title, the movie is not Robin Hood. Oh, sure, the main character is Robin and the love interest is named Marian and the other characters are mostly there, but the story is not what most people think of when they think "Robin Hood". Up until the sacking of Nottingham, they [i[could[/i] have made a recognizable Robin Hood story. Instead, Scott and crew decided to veer off on an entirely different tack. Toss in some stupid medieval Higgins boats and that last act of the film totally alienates the audience from what they expect and want to see. That last act is, in my opinion, what drags down the movie.

It could have been spectacular.
Gabriele C.

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the Trailer i think i saw a couple of XV century sallets...bah...
my blog
http://zweilawyer.wordpress.com/
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The movie was filled with sallets. Some of them looked extremely cool; some, like the one Cate Blanchett wears, looked weird and ahistorical. There are also odd leather hats, which I am not sure ever existed. They look kind of like open faced visorless bascinets, stitched together out of multiple pieces of leather. Quite odd.

I'm not opposed to the idea of setting up a certain "look" that is different from the time period of the actual Robin Hood legend. As others have said, this is nothing new. We all know about the Medieval manuscripts showing Moses and King David wearing great helms and chain mail; during the Renaissance, the Roman soldiers executing Jesus are wearing Gothic plate armour, etc. There's nothing wrong with deliberately making something anachronistic - BUT I strongly believe that if they are going to do this, then they need to be consistent! And not mix up gear from different time periods - as well as made-up stuff that never existed at all!

In other words, it galls me to see a mixture of 15th century sallets with Norman conical helms, great helms, and weird leather helmets, and lamellar cuirasses with fake Roman-style scales on the sides. It would have been great if they had kept the fictionalized aesthetic that they created for Robin Hood stylistically consistent.

Pastime With Good Company
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We went to the midnight showing on Friday evening. We enjoyed the film overall.

Yes, there were anchronisms and fantasy elements a plenty, but there were also some things done correctly. I saw tea cosy, cocked hat, and hazelnut pommels, hauberks with mittens, some nice looking Type XIIs, padded gambesons under maille, aventails (though they never have them laced up properly), and a few other odds and ends that it appears the production staff at least tried to replicate properly. Though imperfect in many, many ways, the film is a move toward historical fiction which is beginning to put more and more elements of realism in, albiet the wrong elements at the wrong time in most cases. Perhaps some day, there will be more knowledgable production advisors with such historical period films.

Ironically, the most-annoying thing for me was "Rise and Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions" written in perfect modern English on the sword grip when it should have been Middle English.... Sad

It's still not as bad as the Tudors, where a Henry VIII that is supposed to be obese in his 50s is portrayed as a physically-fit sex-symbol in his late 20s. WTF?!

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Tudors drives me ABSOLUTELY INSANE. (I know, I know - this is about Robin Hood, but since you brought it up...) Everything about that show is absurd. It could have been great, though. They should have gotten a good, burly, charismatic guy to play Henry. They seem to not realize that someone can be built like a bear, and still have mojo! He didn't need to look like a pretty-boy Olympic swimmer. The real Henry was BIG, tall, strong, AND athletic. Yes, it's possible! He also wore a codpiece, something that the show paradoxically omits. He wouldn't have been caught dead without it.

I've heard the argument, "they need eye candy for the female viewers, etc etc." But - this argument is blown out of the water when you realize that, nowadays, "pretty" isn't even in anymore, for men. That look is SO 1990s! Women right now are crazy for the rugged type - Clive Owen, Jason Statham, Viggo Mortensen, Russell Crowe, Daniel Craig. Get a good actor with a rugged face and a strong build - a little extra weight, fine, but distributed over a TALL, powerful frame - like the real Henry - and believe me, the female fans of the show would still find him attractive.

So I do not buy that they NEEDED to cast Rhys-Meyers for "eye candy." As recent stars have shown, "eye candy" need not always come in the conventional form, and female viewers would be just as enthusiastic about a Henry VIII that looked a little more like the real man he was.

A joust between Henry and Charles Brandon wearing Maximilian or Greenwich harnesses, made under supervision of real armourers (like a few people here I could mention) would have been fantastic to watch. But instead we get this:

Add the ridiculously cheesy subplots and the egregious conflation of Mary and Margaret Tudor into ONE character, one of the stupidest things about the show...and the absurd Francis Bryan with the eyepatch in Season 3...and a lot of other boneheaded stuff...ugh. SO much potential, wasted.

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
I'm with those who say it doesn't matter if the movie is historically accurate.

I'm relieved to learn that we are on opposite sides of this issue, as with all others.

J

Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As for me and my house, we will go see Iron Man 2. Hey, it's got armor and no historical accuracy issues.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Joel S Norman

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If people want to discuss historical accuracy issues, I have a different take. I have not yet seen the movie (and who knows, maybe it will be entertaining. I expect something along the lines of Kingdom of Heaven, with all the good, bad, and the ugly. I usually wait until DVD releases, though).
I have seen interviews with Russell Crowe where he talks about getting to the "core" of the story, the source of the legends.
Here's the thing: he then says the core of the story is redistribution of wealth. Sorry, Russell, but that's also a modern addition. Every generation has reinvented Robin Hood, and the robbing the rich to give to the poor was something added on by early 20th century progressive political thinkers. Robin Hood is and always was a medieval action hero, but there is nothing in the old stories about robbing from the evil "rich" and giving to the deserving "poor." He was a hero who stood up to corrupt leaders, but always embodied the values that the leaders were supposed to have upheld. The old stories were not "Down with Nobility!" They were stories about a man who sets things to rights (King Richard isn't mad at Robin when he returns, and doesn't think Robin was engaging in class warfare). The only story of Robin robbing the rich and giving to the poor in the old stories was one where Robin stole from a corrupt clergymen, but only because the clergymen had practically stolen the money from a then-impoverished knight. Robin gives the money to the knight to make good on his debts. That's all there is in that theme.
Originally, Robin Hood was a violent vigilante who stood up to corruption, not to tear down the system or redistribute wealth. He was more like a comic book superhero than anything else. It's fine (and not surprising) if Crowe and Scott want to use modern ideas and takes on Robin, but they shouldn't claim that they are throwing out the modern stuff if they chose to do so. It's just a movie, and most people don't expect 100% accuracy anyway. (This is largely my problem with a lot of Ridley Scott's movies, even though I usually still find them entertaining.)

5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
Psalms 149:5 - 7
Joshua R

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
As for me and my house, we will go see Iron Man 2. Hey, it's got armor and no historical accuracy issues.

What do you mean, no historical accuracy issues!? It's like watching a movie set in the early 1850s with the protagonist (and the antagonists) wearing kevlar vests and using Winchester Model 1873 rifles! Wink

On a related note, I don't ever hear anyone complain about Hollywood Westerns: Guys in 1840 with Colt Model P revolvers. In Winchester 73, pretty much everyone but the protagonist had a Winchester Model 1892 and then claimed that they were using Henry 1860s, Spencer carbines, &c. They have gotten a lot better since then, but I somehow suspect that fact is due in large part to the increasing availability and decreasing cost of good, replica firearms, thanks to Cowboy Action Shooting.

And on that note, perhaps if there is an explosion of interest in HEMA or the SCA, we might see more accurate costuming and props done in Hollywood for period movies. Of course, the reason why Cowboy Action Shooting is so popular is because of those old Westerns, with their costuming and property inaccuracies. I guess that would make it a self-perpetuating cycle: The more Medieval movies there are (accurate or not), the more interest segments of the public will express in history, the more will get involved in HEMA/SCA, the more realistic the movies will get, &c.

" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua R wrote:

On a related note, I don't ever hear anyone complain about Hollywood Westerns: Guys in 1840 with Colt Model P revolvers. In Winchester 73, pretty much everyone but the protagonist had a Winchester Model 1892 and then claimed that they were using Henry 1860s, Spencer carbines, &c. They have gotten a lot better since then, but I somehow suspect that fact is due in large part to the increasing availability and decreasing cost of good, replica firearms, thanks to Cowboy Action Shooting..

If you went to a dedicated forum for Western gun enthusiasts, you'd probably see the complaining!

Anyway, you say that "perhaps if there is an explosion of interest in HEMA or the SCA, we might see more accurate costuming and props done in Hollywood for period movies." Maybe, but don't these Hollywood studios hire historical consultants? Who are the people who they are paying to teach the costume designers about period armour and the prop department about the correct weapons? I am assuming that such people are, in fact, involved in the creation of these movies. If they are, it begs the question - why aren't they doing their jobs?

Dan Sellars

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen the movie and I really enjoyed it, apart from a few things that have already been mentioned. The WW2 landing craft, main characters costume, later helmets and the "Joan of Arc" bit for Marion. Oh and I cringed when he used he sword to pry up a stone.

Other bits were great though, Robin wearing a messer/seax style knife. The Ships with the horses on deck as they were crossing the channel helped conjure up what it must have been like. The general scenes with ships arriving up the Thames, Tower of London castle backgrounds and all of that. There did seem to be a lot of nice little details that got lost in the whole this is wrong that is wrong thing. It's a shame cos I don't think it would have cost more to make it look more right.

wrt to the costumes I didn't so much min most of the fantasy armour although I did wonder why it was worn all the time by some characters. It was just to two main leads (Robin very modern, Marion very 'Elizabeth'), as some of the extras and lower cast members seems pretty ok. I assume that it is to make the main characters more accessible to the modern audience. I think that the reasoning is silly but when it comes down to it, it is a fun adventure story. I guess that seeigng as it was the main characters that were mainly at fault it also makes then stand out and look distinctive. The 'ring mail' that William Marshal is wearing for instance gives him a distinct look.
Joshua R

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam D. Kent-Isaac wrote:
If you went to a dedicated forum for Western gun enthusiasts, you'd probably see the complaining!

I've been watching the CAS community closely for a couple of years, now. I've never heard anyone complain about it, at least not as vociferously as some people on these forums. Some of them even revel in it: It's commonly said in CAS that "John Wayne can do no wrong". And he was the one carrying Colt Model Ps in films set in 1840-something and Winchester 92s in movies set in 1870-something!

Quote:
Anyway, you say that "perhaps if there is an explosion of interest in HEMA or the SCA, we might see more accurate costuming and props done in Hollywood for period movies." Maybe, but don't these Hollywood studios hire historical consultants? Who are the people who they are paying to teach the costume designers about period armour and the prop department about the correct weapons? I am assuming that such people are, in fact, involved in the creation of these movies. If they are, it begs the question - why aren't they doing their jobs?

I'm sure they do. They also hire on and freely ignore military consultants (the most famous of which would probably be the combination of Gunnery Sergeant R. Lee Ermy, USMC (Ret.) and Full Metal Jacket). Of course, folks in the military tend not to take Hollywood playing fast and loose with their world very lightly... many have an abiding hatred for The Hurt Locker, for instance. Of course, they also stand to lose a good deal more from Hollywood's misrepresentations than historians do (historians, afterall, have little to lose from Joe Schmoe being convinced that Sir William Wallace fornicated with the Queen of England while using a Renaissance-period two-handed sword, while if the same Joe Schmoe believes that servicemen are baby-killing cowboys...). On the other hand, there are also instances where military consultants have been used to their fullest, like Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down (which was also directed by Sir Ridley Scott), and Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

That being said, Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg have a real passion for American involvement in the Second World War, so the historical military accuracy of Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and The Pacific, I guess, should not be too surprising. Similarly, the US Army took an active role in guiding Sir Ridley Scott in his making of Black Hawk Down. Even in these films, though, there are inaccuracies done for the sake of dramatic "enhancement" (like having beaches covered in more corpses than there were people who actually fought there, soldiers and Marines on patrol standing right next to each other the whole time, &c.). Or, in the case of Black Hawk Down, to simplify the cast of characters, to mask the heroism of a pedophile, and because, in many cases, some of the small stuff that actually happened is still classified and so the moviemakers simply didn't know what happened here or there or how, exactly, it happened (although, I'm told by people in the know, that their guesswork on those things looked really authentic).

I'm rambling. Point being, I suppose, that successful, realistic movies beget more realistic movies. And then something like The Hurt Locker gets made and wins Academy Awards....

" For Augustus, and after him Tiberius, more interested in establishing and increasing their own power than in promoting the public good, began to disarm the Roman people (in order to make them more passive under their tyranny).... "
-N. Machiavelli, The Art of War
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hated the hurt locker too... but then I was in the military.

J

Walter S

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Rmany wrote:
have an abiding hatred for The Hurt Locker, for instance.

I hate The Hurt Locker, and also K-19: The Widowmaker and Blue Steel. Mrs. Bigelow seems to have a thing for adding drama to realistic stories in ham-fisted way and with desregard not only to realism, but even to common sense.
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't seen it yet but just want to say that all accuracy aside, I really enjoyed Braveheart, Kevin Costners Robin Hood, and even Sean Conneries Robin and Marian, they weren't accurate but they were enjoyable enough. I mean at the end of the day I can't fault someone for not thinking of the stuff I professionally study for a living (or rather will soon).
E Pluribus Unum
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
You guys do realize that "Robin Hood " is a fictional character, dont you?:-) Fiction, doen`t have to be acurate.That`s what makes it fun:-)
Richard Martell

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
To be fair it seems to me that we have to ask who or what kind of person was the real Robin Hood....

In my opinion Herewardt the Wake is the person Robin Hood based on.
He foughts against the normans after the conquest and for a few hundred years
he was the most known english folk hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereward_the_Wake

Ich dien.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Robin Hood
Page 4 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: