Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advice on Cleaning Conan Atlantean (detailed) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dennis Chang

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Advice on Cleaning Conan Atlantean (detailed)         Reply with quote

Hi,

I've read a couple of on-line sword cleaning guides including the one on this forum as well as on Albion and a few others but wanted a few more details.

I know I am probably way over-thinking what should be a very straightforward process but this is the first time I have ever bought a real sword so to speak and I have NEVER cleaned one before.

1. What should I use to wipe the sword clean? Is an old 100% cotton white undershirt acceptable?

2. How do I apply the Ballistol oil? Should I take a q-tip and dribble it on the sword every few inches? Should I shake droplets on the blade? Or should I put it on another clean undershirt and then wipe?

3. The Conan Atlantean also has a pretty big ricasso as well as bronze pommel and guard. Do I need to oil the pommel and guard and ricasso as well? If not, is there anything special I should do to preserve the bronze?

4. I handle the sword with powder free latex gloves, is this acceptable?

5. What are the thoughts here on Renaissance Wax? I don't plan on handling the Atlantean constantly but I am planning on showing to friends and family, etc. If I apply Renaissance wax, how long does it last? And how will I know if the sword needs another coat? Anyone here have any experience with Renaissance wax?

6. Finally, I live in Southern California in a pretty dry and arid environment. Palm Springs is only an hour away. I plan on oiling the sword twice a month. Is that enough or overkill?

Thanks for any and all input. Again I am a complete rookie at this and I just want to take care of the sword properly so it doesn't rust. I am not a sword collector by any stretch of the imagination and once I secure an Albion Father's Sword will likely never buy another "real" sword again. I plan on just concentrating on commissioning custom, movie accurate scabbards for these two swords in the future.

Dennis
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You're way over-thinking it. Happy If you throw some oil on it once a year with a clean cloth of any kind, you're fine. As much as we love our swords, as they are works of art in their own right, they are just hunks of metal. It ain't no big deal.

If your sword needs any cleaning up, you can read some tips in our article, Care and Maintenance of the Modern Replica. (which it sounds like you already have)

I suggest, and I say this with respect, that you simply chill out and enjoy your toy. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It makes me smile to see a sword-o-phile speak with such ease regarding the subject of maintenance. Cool
My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Dennis Chang

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan for the reply.

I have read the guide on myArmoury.com in great detail . . . several times in fact.

I appreciate the advice and will follow it.

You must understand that from a newbie's point of view, this is a mind-whirling amount of information. There are endless information on the web about what type of cloth, what type of oil, various sword-cleaning kits, Renaissance wax, ways to clean katannas vs European swords, special rice paper, etc, etc, etc.

My Atlantean came without any knicks or scratches or problems at all to my eye thankfully so for me it is just about maintenance.

I guess I'll wipe it down and apply a little bit of oil and start working on getting a display case for it.

Thanks all,

Dennis
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you live in an arid climate you would be good oiling once maybe twice a year. i keep my swords in the basement of my house, and oiling them every month or two keeps them rust free. Keep the oil from you hands off the sword. Simply wiping them off with an oily rag is fine. The brass parts of the sword should be pretty good even without applying much oil.
C.M. Lewis

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The best things ever invented for cleaning and protecting sword blades are the silicone impregnated cloths designed for firearms. They instantly wipe off fingerprints after handling and leave a light film that stops corrosion without messing with messy oil bottles and rags. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=768350

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advice on Cleaning Conan Atlantean (detailed)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic