Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Showing off my 1415 kit! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Showing off my 1415 kit!         Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Thought I would share with you my progress of my early 15th century harness, dated at 1415 during the time of Agincourt Big Grin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76868227@N08/sets/72157631698439185/

I made most of it myself with the help of others in my group. The bluing was achieved with gun bluing chemicals (Super Blue(, but am working towards a more period solution. Also plan to take some take some fake gold leaf and apply it to the couters (elbows) and poleyn (knees). There is still of lot of tweaking needing to be done with both the harness, but I'm overall very happy with how it turned out Big Grin Cool

Will be using this for both living history as well as HEMA, for harnessfechten Wink

Attachment: 243.94 KB
Me posing with my freinds during our demo :) [ Download ]
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! I love it! So different than most of the other kits from that period!
David Clark

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is so awesome! And the bluing looks incredible! What brand of bluing chemical did you use?
EDIT: Durrr, I just saw that you mentioned the brand of bluing! Razz
Did you encounter any problems during the process? (splotching, etc?)

Last edited by David Clark on Fri 05 Oct, 2012 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed watching this come together on Facebook! Beautiful work!
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Showing off my 1415 kit!         Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone Happy Took me about 2 years to put together. I wanted to choose something that was commonly seen in the art and not often produced Wink The great thing about the early 15th century is that there is a lot of variety of styles. Everything iv done iv documented off of historical art and surviving examples Happy

The next step is to make a scale fauld of my own, get my own, mail shirt and either making a helm or ordering one. The helm shown in the pictures was a loaner and the eye slits weren't lining up to my eyes correctly :/

Also plan to tweak my prosthetic leg too, to make it look more like a peg leg Wink Much more to do!

Here is a short video of the demo we put on at the Kansas City Renaissance Fair. You'll see the harness in action (as well as me getting my butt kicked :P)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-Vz9k-Vgw
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not your period, of course, but still interesting to see a Landsknecht in the field with a prosthesis!

Attachment: 51.28 KB
51WU7HEZOQL.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great, Reese! Although when you were bouting, seeing the greave vs the bare prosthetic I was having an evil Karate Kid moment. "Sweep the Leg". On the serious side, I love that the prosthetic is in no way a barrier to your building kit and going out there to fight with poleaxes - I can't wait to see what you do to tweak it!
Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Greg Happy Yeah, I plan to add a piston within the leg so that it will allow me to have some spring to my step. All my advancing is coming from the right leg, so it puts me at a great disadvantage when fighting :/ Also I need to line the socket with something more comfortable...the socket creates several pressure points on my stump and waist. I'll have to experiment with it more, but when I'm done I should have a more comfortable, more historically accurate leg Happy
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice kit! Just something I recalled with regards to making a prosthetic - I knew a guy who made his prosthetic leg using parts from a motorcycle front fork, so it was already sealed and sprung - I expect that some motorcycle suspension springs may be rather heavy for this use, but perhaps some from a lighter motorcycle would work. I recall him stating it as a big improvement over a rigid peg-leg style prosthetic. Just a thought!
Raman A

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really great looking kit. Do you know of any other people that use that type of scale fauld? What kind of construction method did you use?

However, it looks like the fauld sits too low. There's a big gap over your stomach where the breastplate ends and before the fauld begins.
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Raman.

The scale fauld was actually not mine, nor was it made for me. We had a demo over the weekend and we had to put everything together in a short amount of time. I'll be making my own scale fauld here shortly that will actually tie into my arming doublet, rather then fasten by straps. Im debating whether to add brass edging on the scales or not...it would make it pop really well and I'v documented it Happy

-Reece
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your armor has some of the best floating articulation I've seen. Your harness looks great!
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You sir are awesome! And that is a very nice kit. Are you planning on making the scales leather or steel? Do you plan on leaving the scales flat on the version of the scale skirt you plan on making? You might find slight curve to the top will make them fit much better around you.

Good luck!

RPM
Reece Nelson

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Showing off my 1415 kit!         Reply with quote

I will be making the scales out of spring steel and they'll be based off of this image below (look at the guy on the far left) They will have some curvature to them to give them strength and allow to roll with my body as I rotate my cuirass. What will be nice too, is that the scales will start from underneath the cuirass, so that it wont catch on anything while fighting.

Thanks for so many cool compliments everyone Happy Will keep you updated with the new changes as they come.

-Reece

Attachment: 122.06 KB
[ Download ]
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reece Nelson wrote:
Thanks Greg Happy Yeah, I plan to add a piston within the leg so that it will allow me to have some spring to my step. All my advancing is coming from the right leg, so it puts me at a great disadvantage when fighting :/ Also I need to line the socket with something more comfortable...the socket creates several pressure points on my stump and waist. I'll have to experiment with it more, but when I'm done I should have a more comfortable, more historically accurate leg Happy

Hi Reese, you don't know me but I am remarkably impressed with your progress. I happen to supply materials to prosthetic mfgs. I would be pleased to offer you orthopedic grade horsehide, poron and any other related materials you need to make your prosthetic more comfortable to improve your field experience. PM me, I'd like to assist you.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's really impressive. Impressive in outcome so far. Impressive ingenuity that you're doing it yourself and getting so much of it to work so very well. Impressive in your ability to focus on the goal and keep to it over time. Great work!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reece Nelson wrote:

Very neat! I saw recently some film of an SCA fighter fighting on one of the new "kangaroo" style prosthetics you see athletes use, and it was impressive how well he could move. (Although, I was thinking it was a good thing the lower leg isn't a target in the SCA, because that cannot be a cheap prosthetic.) But, of course, in a demo setting it is obviously a very modern limb. I like that you're taking your injury as a chance to make it one more part of your kit! And the kit itself you should be really proud of!

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Charles B

PostPosted: Sun 07 Oct, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very awesome kit! Love the mix of colors especially. Definitely an inspiration to get off my lazy bum and get to work on my own stuff - thanks for sharing!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Showing off my 1415 kit!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic