Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Belt hooks on weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Belt hooks on weapons         Reply with quote

Was looking through a "new" book, and saw something interesting and new: maces (2 of them, German, c. 1500, pg 196) with belt hooks on the heads. See picture below for my drawing.

I hadn't seen this before, but trying to find more examples on www turned up this, an axe with similar hook (on the Wikipedia battle axe page.

Belt hooks are common in Japanese weapons/tools, being usual on tobiguchi (fireman's axes) and jutte (opinions as to the main purpose of the hook on jutte vary, but they were used as belt hooks).

Can anybody recommend an English-language source which discusses (or mentions) belt hooks on European weapons?

Attachment: 1.08 KB
maces.png
Mace with belt hook
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only weapons I recall seeing belt hooks on are boarding axes and pistols, and those are 17th/18th century, probably later that what you're looking for.

I'm not saying those are the only weapons with belt hooks, they're just the only ones I remember seeing.

As far as books go... I have no idea, sorry.

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Eric Hejdström

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All horseman's picks I've seen at the museum here have a belt hook or have had one. But can't recall any written sources on them...
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both of these original axes that we own have belt hooks http://www.merctailor.com/originals.php?original_pk=98 http://www.merctailor.com/originals.php?original_pk=104
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Belt hooks are very common on cavalry weapons, they have been a feature of just about every horsemans warhammer or axe. They are also found on more than a few 16th century pistols and explain why images often show pistols carried at the belt.
"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The easiest to find examples are naval axes and naval pistols. Pistol pictures often don't show it, since they're from the lock side.

Not too late-period for my curiosity - I saw pictures and wondered why I didn't see more of these. The naval examples suggest it's good for use on foot, climbing rigging etc., and not just for carry while riding. A good authentic alternative to the steel ring on the belt for ren fair goers.

I haven't found any belt hooks on weapons from outside Europe (colonial example seem likely, especially naval, although I haven't seen any identified as such) or Japan yet. There are belt hooks on scabbards and blowgun dart quivers from SE Asia and China, but I haven't seen any on weapons. Haven't seen any on various Turkish, Indopersian, or Indian cavalry axes or hammers.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
The easiest to find examples are naval axes and naval pistols. Pistol pictures often don't show it, since they're from the lock side.

Not too late-period for my curiosity - I saw pictures and wondered why I didn't see more of these. The naval examples suggest it's good for use on foot, climbing rigging etc., and not just for carry while riding. A good authentic alternative to the steel ring on the belt for ren fair goers.

I haven't found any belt hooks on weapons from outside Europe (colonial example seem likely, especially naval, although I haven't seen any identified as such) or Japan yet. There are belt hooks on scabbards and blowgun dart quivers from SE Asia and China, but I haven't seen any on weapons. Haven't seen any on various Turkish, Indopersian, or Indian cavalry axes or hammers.
Here is a picture of a Japanese kusari gama with a belt hook.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Belt hooks on weapons
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic