Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Swordsman's Companion by Guy Windsor. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: The Swordsman's Companion by Guy Windsor.         Reply with quote

After retiring for the evening from the living hell that is house painting, I spent some time going over my new copy of The Swordsmans Companion.

This is an excellent book, and another outstanding edition by Chivalry Bookshelf.

While the book is grounded in historic technique it does, in fact, illustrate a modern system of swordsmanship as developed by Mr. Windsor. The real value of this book is that it is set up as an aid for the begining student who trains alone. Mr. Windsor clearly explains, with the aid of good clear photography, several solo drills which can provide a good ground work on which to build. In the past we've seen posts by people wanting to know how they can train alone. If you're in this predicament (as I am) this book is invaluable. It won't take you all the way, but it is quite a few steps in the right direction.

If you liked John Clements Medieval Swordsmanship you'll love this book.

I'll be getting quite a bit of use out of it myself.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got that one recently as well (waited a year on pre order, and it was well worth the wait). While I still remain ever faithful to the great Master Liechtanaur and his German brethren, and Guy Windsor's book is definately based on the Italian systems, I still wholeheartedly agree that it's a FANTASTIC book,showing a clear and concise methodology of learning lognsword, particularly for those who are unable to find a teacher (what I wouldn't have given for this book years ago!).

I also very much like his philosophies on training, especially when he talks about free play. I like that he points out that free play is only one aspect of learning, not the end-all-be-all, which is something that's very hard for some people to understand. Many people want to learn the techniques to get better at bouting, rather than understanding that bouting is merely a partial method of learning the art. I highly recommend this book to all who are interested in longsword (even moreso if you're interested in Italian longsword, but even if you aren't).
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"what I wouldn't have given for this book years ago!"

Amen to that!

It's interesting to compare the techniques shown in Mr. Windsor's book to the techniques of the German school, as shown in Christian Toblers book.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jul, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommend. I may look this one up.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Jones

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my copy last Friday, but a back injury that evening had me flat on the floor for the entire weekend. The good thing about that is that I had plenty of time to go through the whole book!
I'm a rank beginner, and I'm very glad to see something that actually speaks in detail about the basics, especially on the footwork invovled! As soon as I'm able, I'll be practicing some of those 'dance' steps!

Cheers!

Patrick

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Swordsman's Companion by Guy Windsor.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic