Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ARMA Footwork Article Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Jeffrey Hull

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Balance Principle         Reply with quote

I should like to mostly replicate my post as found at another forum (HEMA Alliance), where I and others critiqued JC's rather faulty and quite-literally illiterate article. Said post is relevant to the discussion here Arrow

...The whole thing of a balanced stance (Waage, wage, wag, et.al.) is the principle of the thing. A principle which again, I remind us comes from Ringen, and for that matter was likely reinforced by Reiten.

(Of course that requires a larger acknowledgement of the spectrum of Ritterlich Kunst, with a true understanding of what founded its kinetics, rather than insisting upon the centrality of somebody's fave weapon to all the martial arts. But I digress...)

Waage is about footwork which maintains your balance while you strike and intercept and bind and wind, your feet/legs acting like scales to keep you upright.

Whether the exact foot/leg-kinetics of it are linear, or like shiko-dachi, or a duckwalk (credit to C.Bradak for that one), or even at times splayed out like a ballerina - that is up to you the given fencer with consideration for what does and feels right in most fencing engagements.

It is not an absolutist thing - although certain absolutists keep saying it is, even as they constantly change their defintion of the "correct" way of doing it.

The correct way of doing it is the way that maintatins you yet best advances to strike your foe. It is that simple. Why would it not be?

JH

Knightly Dueling - the Fighting Arts of German Chivalry
Roger Norling

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I completely agree with the above.

What originally got me thinking about the possible ambiguity of the name Waage is just that it seems to be a good position for dodging back and forth with sometimes very little or no movement of feet, opening up for nachreissen. Quite a few images of Meyer in particular appear to show something along those lines. Thus the "flow".

Another thing that just hit me is the Swedish word "vagga" which means both "cradle", "rock" and "wag" (like a duck), which is the motion I had in mind. I'm not sure what the medieval German word for it was, but in modern German it is "Wiege" which might stem from "Waage".

And here are a few examples of medieval and renaissance cradles: http://www.larsdatter.com/cradles.htm
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Balance Principle         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hull wrote:

Waage is about footwork which maintains your balance while you strike and intercept and bind and wind, your feet/legs acting like scales to keep you upright.

Whether the exact foot/leg-kinetics of it are linear, or like shiko-dachi, or a duckwalk (credit to C.Bradak for that one), or even at times splayed out like a ballerina - that is up to you the given fencer with consideration for what does and feels right in most fencing engagements.

The correct way of doing it is the way that maintatins you yet best advances to strike your foe. It is that simple. Why would it not be?

I really think that is what John C. is saying. The feet can move and point in a variety of directions, many more directions that we (at least in ARMA) have been teaching in the past, in order to best give stability and generate power. Whether known as waage or volta the feet move in such and such ways.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
William Carew

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I find the possible links with the concept of waves and cradles particularly apt, since the key aspect of movement with balance and weight shifting is apparent. Certainly, in many of the German sources, waage appears in the context of balanced movement, not just static stance, and certainly not just in relation to the direction the feet are pointing. So this is great stuff. Although I had not known about the possible 'wave' and 'cradle' links before, these kinds of ideas open up all kinds of possibilities for examining and refining our biomechanics.

Quote:
Christian Henry Tobler wrote:

Equating the Scales with standing flat-footed is a confabulation, and it's unsupported by any treatise on fighting. The idea that you can't be 'balanced' with a heel raised is also insupportable: ballerinas can be 'on point' for great stretches of a performance; no one would accuse them of being off balance.

and

Quote:
Further, and more completely, undermining the idea that Waage='flat footed' is the plate in Codex Wallerstein that mentions this idea. Neither combatant is illustrated as flat-footed.

In support of this, see the enclosed image:

The top plate is the one associated with the description of the 'waage' in Codex Wallerstein. In the middle are fencers in two of Filippo Vadi's poste, and at the bottom two of Paulus Hector Mair's fencers. This is but a small selection: it would be quite possible to put together an impressive montage of such images from the various fightbooks, just as was done with the 'turned out foot' montage in the original article.

Anyway, my sincere thanks to those who have turned a potentially empty thread into an excellent and thought provoking discussion on the waage and it's possible meanings and allegory. This is how it should be, with researchers openly contributing ideas, interacting, questioning and building upon one another's work honestly and without any ex-cathedra attitudes. So well done.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Carew
Jogo do Pau Brisbane
COLLEGIUM IN ARMIS
Tom Leoni
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
But in French " Léger " means light as in light in weight and in another meaning being quick to hit according to my old Larousse dictionary " Avoir la main légère " sort of means less literally being very quick to hit someone or quick tempered I guess !?

Actually there are two expressions:
"Avoir la main légère" is to intervene with moderation, as opposed to "avoir la main lourde" which means a very strong, perhaps too strong action.
"Avoir la main leste" means being very quick to hit or otherwise act. "Leste" in this context means quick or agile.

In my opinion neither are related to the German "leger". The French word "léger" comes from the latin "levis" which means not heavy, "leste" comes from the Italian. I don't know the German etymology but if I had to translate the German "leger" in French I would think of "lieu", which might be related...

Regards,

Spot on.

I think "Leger" is connected to the verb "legen," which means to place, to situate, etc. Hut is instead related to hueten, which means to guard, to protect. This seems to me is analogous to the Italian "posta" and "guardia" - both meaning very similar things (some masters say: meaning the same thing) but linguistically denoting "position" and "guard" respectively.

I don't know the Liechtenauer tradition quite well enough from a practical standpoint, but linguistically this seems to make sense. At least late on a Friday after a few glasses of wine...
Tom
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Carew wrote:
Quote:

Equating the Scales with standing flat-footed is a confabulation, and it's unsupported by any treatise on fighting. The idea that you can't be 'balanced' with a heel raised is also insupportable: ballerinas can be 'on point' for great stretches of a performance; no one would accuse them of being off balance.

and

Quote:
Further, and more completely, undermining the idea that Waage='flat footed' is the plate in Codex Wallerstein that mentions this idea. Neither combatant is illustrated as flat-footed.

In support of this, see the enclosed image:

Good examples. Even more, you'll find it directly in the texts too, not just the images. Meyer even shows in his rapier section a stance where the leg is fully lifted off of the ground. In fact, John uses this very image in his article on pg. 42, though he seems to think its an illustration of the feet on the ground. That's a pretty good example of what I'm talking about when I say it appears he hasn't read these texts, since the text explicitly tells us to lift the foot up... there's even a wonderful English translation of Meyer by Jeffrey Forgeng, so any English speaker can check on this. Another example of why I'm very disappointed with this article.

Meyer lifts the foot up for several techniques, and there's no ambiguity in his very detailed illustrations. See the lower and middle left figures here:
http://www.higginssword.org/guild/study/manua...ier_g2.jpg

I believe there's a line in Leckuchner that gives reference to lifting the heel (I'll have to double check that), and in the Glasgow fechtbuch, in the messerfechten section, there's a technique where the author instructs you to lift the rear heel up so that you can more quickly spring to the side when the opponent attacks.

From the Glasgow Fechtbuch:
Quote:
vnd wan du springen wilt / so heb den anderñ fues ein wenig auff / so magstu im dester passer aus springen /

And my terrible translation (apologies to all of the native speakers!):
Quote:
and when you want to spring [to him], then lift the other foot a little up, so that you can from him even better spring away.

I know there are several other examples throughout the treatises, (such as the Bolognese hanging step), but I'd have to actually search through and find them, which at the moment I don't have time to do, unfortunately. (I'm supposed to be sleeping now, as I have to get up in a couple of hours! Oh, the internet, how you suck up so much of my time...)

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Balance Principle         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
Jeffrey Hull wrote:

I really think that is what John C. is saying. The feet can move and point in a variety of directions, many more directions that we (at least in ARMA) have been teaching in the past, in order to best give stability and generate power. Whether known as waage or volta the feet move in such and such ways.

If that's the case, then I don't think there's really any disagreement from anyone.

The big issue for me with the article, at least in regard to the actual content of the essay, is as I mentioned earlier: that the article has an extreme focus on the feet without considering the rest of the body. The feet are only one minor part... what is more important is shoulder, spinal, hip and knee alignment, and the foot will happen to adjust based on those things. You can point your foot out 135 degrees, but if you have your knee over the instep, then you're going to be unbalanced and do damage to yourself. You can't talk about the foot and ignore everything else because the foot placement is more of a reaction to everything else rather than the cause.

Another big issue for me is one that isn't actually limited to this article or John Clements (and I've expressed this elsewhere). Where is everyone getting this idea that the term "die Waage" is a term for a specific stance? We have references to the three balances in Paulus Hector Mair (which, as Mr. Carew pointed out, isn't even in the article for some reason, despite it being probably the most important piece of evidence he could have used), so in Mair's art I'll accept that its a correct term. Codex Wallerstein has references to it, but in my opinion it isn't really talking about a specifc stance other than a concept. Ott mentions it, but again, I don't see strong evidence that he's using it a specific stance... every use of it seems to be in the context of taking a person off balance, and not a position. So aside from Mair, where is this term coming from, and why is it being used universally for all arts?

(As a complete aside, I happened to bump SPADA II off of my shelf today, and it fell open to Tom Leoni's excellent article of the Partizan in the Bolognese tradition. Tom and Steve Reich are using the 135 degree stance in their photos, the very stance that the article claims will be stolen by others who will then take credit for it, and this was publshed in the early part of this decade. Happy )

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Balance Principle         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
(As a complete aside, I happened to bump SPADA II off of my shelf today, and it fell open to Tom Leoni's excellent article of the Partizan in the Bolognese tradition. Tom and Steve Reich are using the 135 degree stance in their photos, the very stance that the article claims will be stolen by others who will then take credit for it, and this was publshed in the early part of this decade. Happy )

Heh, I had seen this one too, but had not mentioned it because the argument about who was first seemed a bit pointless... It could be argued however that they are closer to 90° than to 135°, especially Tom, but then that's true of plenty of images meant to support the 135° position Wink

Another thing could be added to the considerations about scales, weight transfer, raised heels and constant motion. There are authors that say that your weight should never be on both feet at the same time, so that one of the feet is always ready to step wherever needed. I think the first to express that in this fashion was Agrippa (chapter 24), but it is also in Thibault (table IV, p.5) and as far as I know it is common to many Verdadera destreza authors. There is also something about it in Fabris, I believe.

Perhaps that notion is a good explanation of why many postures are not grounded with both feet flat on the ground...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Andrew Shultz

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Balance Principle         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

Another thing could be added to the considerations about scales, weight transfer, raised heels and constant motion. There are authors that say that your weight should never be on both feet at the same time, so that one of the feet is always ready to step wherever needed. I think the first to express that in this fashion was Agrippa (chapter 24), but it is also in Thibault (table IV, p.5) and as far as I know it is common to many Verdadera destreza authors. There is also something about it in Fabris, I believe.

Perhaps that notion is a good explanation of why many postures are not grounded with both feet flat on the ground...

Regards,

I certainly never like to be flat footed. If I'm waiting I try to be on the balls of both feet ready to move either way, but it usually works better to weight one foot more and prepare to use the other to move. When fighting my ideal is to be moving pretty much the whole time, which precludes setting into anything double weighted, and especially setting into anything where the feet are both down flat. Generally when I do and review how it went I think "that would have been much better had I moved with that next action".

-andy
Jessica Finley
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another thought on the *use* of Waage, if we ponder for a while how scales, waves, and cradles all work...

Right now I am just thinking of wrestling (as Waage is clearer to me in those terms), but if, for instance, a man were to gain a grip on me and pull me forwards, there are a few things I can choose to do. If I add an equal amount of weight rearwards, we will remain exactly where we are - balanced like a scale. If I add an equal amount rearwards and wait for him to release his pressure as he's given up on that technique (like a wave which has crested), I can then add even more weight to my side, and pull him off balance to me (like pushing a cradle, you add the push right *after* it's maximum height to add more energy to the fall).

There are, if you're willing to geek out and think in these ways, tiny little hints about how to move a person from these ideas. Of course, these are all things we *know* intuitively. We all know from years of swinging on swings, and pushing people on swings, that *when* you add energy to the pendulum changes if it ends up a bigger arc, smaller arc, or if you stop it entirely.

These are the kinds of things that run through my mind ...

Jess

Selohaar Fechtschule, Free Scholar
http://www.selohaar.org/fechtschule

Fühlen Designs, Owner/Designer/Seamstress
http://fuhlendesigns.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Greg Coffman

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
William Carew wrote:

Equating the Scales with standing flat-footed is a confabulation, and it's unsupported by any treatise on fighting...

Correction to what Ran said (and what some are reacting against):
In ARMA the location of balance is on the ball of the foot whether the heel is up or down (on the ground). Sometimes we may pivot on the heel, but usually it is the ball. We don't teach that you always have to be flat-footed. Of course "flat-footed" isn't really the best description of when both the heel and the ball of the foot are on the ground even if "flat-footed" is technically correct. We are still balanced and poised to move. I would say that there are more fechtbuk illustrations that depict fighters with the the whole foot on the ground than with just the ball. But that doesn't mean that you have to stand just on the balls, nor just with the heel down.I don't remember reading in John's article that one must be flat footed. If it is there, my mistake. Otherwise, we balance on the ball, and the heel comes up or stays down as needed. Hope that clarifies.

Bill Grandy wrote:

The big issue for me with the article...that the article has an extreme focus on the feet without considering the rest of the body. The feet are only one minor part... what is more important is shoulder, spinal, hip and knee alignment, and the foot will happen to adjust based on those things...You can't talk about the foot and ignore everything else because the foot placement is more of a reaction to everything else rather than the cause.

It is a footwork article. Sure, footwork affects and is affected by everything else. Sure plenty of other things in swordfighting are important, like the sword. And perhaps John could have gone more into how footwork affects things such as posture or how moving in such and such a direction requires or is supported by such and such footwork. But the subject of the article is footwork! It's not ignoring everything else, that's just as far as this article goes. An author doesn't have to comprehensively cover everything about swordfighting in every article when the author only wants to make a specific point in a specific area. But I disagree with you about the emphasis of footwork, at least as I understand from your post here.

Bill Grandy wrote:

Another big issue for me is one that isn't actually limited to this article or John Clements...Where is everyone getting this idea that the term "die Waage" is a term for a specific stance?...every use of it seems to be in the context of taking a person off balance, and not a position.

As far as I know, neither John nor ARMA is teaching that die waage is a specific stance, as ochs is a specific stance or the high position in Mair is a specific stance. Rather, John is saying this is how they moved, how their feet moved when they stood and stepped. It is not as though one goes into and out of die waage. Nor is it a vague principle of "balance," as I balance when I stand in line or as I balance as I jog. Rather, this is how they balanced when fighting-- using this kind of footwork to achieve balance--and just as martial artists, fighters, of other places and times have used similar types of footwork. Fighting, close combat, requires a certain type of body mechanic, footwork being intrinsic to the whole.

Yours,
Greg Coffman
ARMA Abilene

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
Correction to what Ran said (and what some are reacting against): (snip)

Fair enough, thogh chapter XXIII of the article does try to claim that the illustrations of feet being up is usually either an illustration of the person in the middle of an action, or else that people are viewing the images wrong (despite what the texts say). Case in point, p. 88 shows a picture from Meyer's rapier that John claims people misinterpret to being an image of the leg being up; He claims that if you look at it from his point of view you'll see its actually an example of the open position. But if you read the text it specifically tells you to lift your leg up. (and its also depicted in the earlier edition of Meyer, and in Sutor). So maybe this thread is fixating a little too much on Randall said, but a lot of it still directly has to do with the article.

Quote:
It is a footwork article. Sure, footwork affects and is affected by everything else. Sure plenty of other things in swordfighting are important, like the sword. And perhaps John could have gone more into how footwork affects things such as posture or how moving in such and such a direction requires or is supported by such and such footwork. But the subject of the article is footwork!

Is it about footwork? The entire article is discussing why we should stand in certain ways based off of the angle of the feet. Just glancing at the table of contents, you can see the word "stance" mentioned several times rather than "stepping" or "footwork". A stance is not the position of the feet, it is a position of the body. If you mirror the position of the feet exactly as the article discusses, you might be in perfect balance, or you might be falling over yourself, because the feet are only a portion of what's important when discussing stance, no matter how many pages you spend talking in circles about it. Besides which, even footwork is never taught as just the position of the feet: Its the carriage of the body through steps of the hips, legs and feet together. Whether we're talking about tennis, boxing, kung fu or basketball, no one teaches footwork purely by focusing only on the feet and not at least the lower half of the body (if not all of the body).

I want to make clear what I said earlier, though: I think this article makes some good points, and I'm not trying to just trash it just because I don't agree with everything in it. I even said it has given me some things to think about in my studies of medieval martial arts, so clearly it had value to me (though it doesn't really change anything with my studies of Renaissance martial arts, as I was already doing several of these things and teaching this using different terminology). I just feel that this article makes a huge deal about something that is very incomplete, and attempts to sound scholarly without actually following the rules of good scholarship.

Quote:
As far as I know, neither John nor ARMA is teaching that die waage is a specific stance,

That's fine, and as I said, that particcular complaint from me is not limited to John's article. I've seen quite a lot of people outside of ARMA use the term over recent years to describe a specific stance (and it seemed Randall was too), so I wanted to know where that idea comes from. There's Mair's definition, which I'll accept for Mair, but I don't think it applies to all European arts, and I don't see any strong evidence that any other master used the term as anything more specific than a concept.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Greg Coffman

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Case in point, p. 88 shows a picture from Meyer's rapier that John claims people misinterpret to being an image of the leg being up; He claims that if you look at it from his point of view you'll see its actually an example of the open position. But if you read the text it specifically tells you to lift your leg up.

I'm sorry, where is that? I pulled open my Forgeng translation and couldn't find it in the text in the vicinity of the picture (p. 181 in Forgeng). I've never heard that about Meyer saying to pick up the leg or in regards to this image. It does seem to me to be a matter of perspective.

Greg Coffman
ARMA Abilene

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Coffman wrote:
I'm sorry, where is that? I pulled open my Forgeng translation and couldn't find it in the text in the vicinity of the picture (p. 181 in Forgeng). I've never heard that about Meyer saying to pick up the leg or in regards to this image. It does seem to me to be a matter of perspective.

None of Meyer's descriptions are next to any of the images. This is what I'm saying: You can't make arguments about a text if you haven't read the text. I'm certain that if I started making assumptions about John's article when its clear that I haven't actually read it that everyone would tell me that I have no place to make judgements about it, and rightly so.

From Meyer's rapier section 2.66v.1 (Jeffrey Forgeng's translation):

"When you find an opponent in the Low Guard on the right, then position yourself in the Irongate, and act as if you intended to thrust earnestly at his face. For this, raise your right foot and stare hard at his face, and thus with your arm and hand vigorously pressed forward, and with sneering nose and upraised foot, send the point at his face, as if you intended earnestly to thrust..." etc. (bolded emphasis mine)

2.66v.2

"...in the Onset, stare with earnestly open eyes hard at his forward foot; meanwhile raise your weapon and lean your body with upraised foot..."

These techniques are also in the earlier edition of Meyer and in Jacob Sutor.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com

Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
These techniques are also in the earlier edition of Meyer and in Jacob Sutor.

The figure is shown in context in Meyer's manuscript p.77 of this PDF. I agree that it looks like the foot is raised, not just further from the viewer and in perspective (I haven't read the text there).

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Scales/Balances in period         Reply with quote

Thought the following might help make a few points clear for any brave souls still following this thread that may not be up on the style of weight measuring used in period. I assembled the below in a side discussion with someone who was trying to understand some of the aspects we where discussing and they had a vision of a seesaw in their mind as far as a scale was concerned.

Just to be clear the scale we have been referring to can also be called a balance as a noun.

Here is a portion of the discussion with images to help.

Best
Craig

Ahh, ok I see why my earlier comments did not make sense.

Lets start with the actual devise one would be referencing in discussions of this in period. It would most probably not be a fulcrum scale i.e. seesaw like devise but a hanging balance (scale is what we call it today). Exactly the devise we reference as the “scales of justice” today.

These where very ancient tools. Arguably one of the oldest. It will almost certainly be easiest to send you some links to illustrate and I will add a comment or two to add if need be.

St. Eligius

Here is one of the most recognizable images that depict a balance in the period. The small devise in his hand is what I am describing. Though as I will illustrate these would have been one of the most common tools of the merchant and craftsman and something everyone would have knowledge of. St Eligius in His Workshop, 1449,
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York

Ancient Balance

Egyptian balance beam, c 5000 BC. As I said, very old tool. The understanding of the feel and action of weight in motion in such a devise would in many professions been a sixth sense in period. Something we have probably lost to our disadvantage today.

Celtic Balance

8th C. Celtic bronze balance beam (i.e. Scale) and lead weight, Isle of Man.

Roman Balance

Roman Balance and weights 350 AD

Medieval Balance

Augsburg 1489
Here is the classic version depicted quite clearly from the period of the manuals. When one hangs a weight in the cups it has a very fluid motion but one that does not go one for ever. In the context of having one that you hold in your hand gives you an excellent feel of what I was trying to describe earlier via and ebb and flow action.

Da Vinci

Two balances designed by Da Vinci, 1452-1519. Here we see even at the point of the late 15th C. the best minds of the day where exploring and thinking about these details. It is important to remember how the Medieval mind viewed the world. It was not with out curiosity, which some today miss, and a very hands on and experiential understanding.

Merchant

Weighting olives Strasbourg 1497. All levels of society would have known understood and used these devises on a very intimate basis.

A Waagmeister from before 1414, Nuremberg. Hausbuch illustration from the period of the earliest manuals. Here we see an example of a larger version and one would expect the use of such an item to have practical influence on the way shifting of weight would be perceived as compared to just trying to balance on a point, i.e . seesaw style.

Thus you can see clearly that the style of balance would be informative in the discussion of how these aspects where viewed in the period and would inform any discussion of the way body movement, balance and weight shifting would be understood. These ideas would for most students of say, Martial practice, have been a visceral intuitive knowledge that could be communicated with a word in the day but if we try to encompass them in a word today it is ever so difficult due to the fact we have not used and seen balances used on a daily basis our entire lives.

tried to have the images show in the post but the sites must have outside link blockers and such but I think all the click ons will get you to the images and hope again that this is useful to some.

Last edited by Craig Johnson on Sun 21 Mar, 2010 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Balance Principle         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Where is everyone getting this idea that the term "die Waage" is a term for a specific stance? We have references to the three balances in Paulus Hector Mair (which, as Mr. Carew pointed out, isn't even in the article for some reason, despite it being probably the most important piece of evidence he could have used)

The problem I think if the article were to have used images from PHM, is that almost every image used by PHM has the fencers standing with one heel raised (something I noticed a while ago when discussing stepping mechanics).
M. Hayes

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
i looked leger up at http://www.etymonline.com, and it tells me that it is the Old English form of Modern English lair. It also tells me that it comes from the Proto-European root leg-, meaning "to lie". so perhaps leger could mean in this context "a place to lie". food for thought maybe?

An addendum in relation to the German word hut, please observe the first definition on this page-http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hood; namely its meaning as "cover' and relation to the German hut(hat) and the Old Frisian hode(guard,protection). Also, is not the word "cover" used in English sword arts and if so could one more knowledgeable than myself explain how?
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: depth of meaning         Reply with quote

M. Hayes wrote:
Hello,
i looked leger up at http://www.etymonline.com, and it tells me that it is the Old English form of Modern English lair. It also tells me that it comes from the Proto-European root leg-, meaning "to lie". so perhaps leger could mean in this context "a place to lie". food for thought maybe?

An addendum in relation to the German word hut, please observe the first definition on this page-http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=hood; namely its meaning as "cover' and relation to the German hut(hat) and the Old Frisian hode(guard,protection). Also, is not the word "cover" used in English sword arts and if so could one more knowledgeable than myself explain how?

From the same site. The idea of its military/combat association seems to have been from a relatively early date.

beleaguer -
1580s, from Du. belegeren "to besiege," from be- "around" + legeren "to camp," from leger "bed, camp, army, lair," from P.Gmc. *leg-raz-, from PIE *legh-to- "lie" (see lie (v.2)). A word from the Flemish Wars. Spelling influenced by league. Related: Beleaguered.

lair -
O.E. leger "bed, couch, grave, act or place of lying down," from P.Gmc. *legran (cf. O.N. legr, O.Fris. legor, O.H.G. legar, Ger. Lager, Goth. ligrs "place of lying"), from *leg-, the root of lie (q.v.). Meaning "animal's den" is from c.1420.

Craig
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like all the articles/releases by John Clements that I have read, this one would be much better if it weren't for the elitist/omnipotent tone of the author. I'm willing to forgive some writing/editing gaffes - I'm an engineer, after all :P

I guess I just don't see the big deal (as was foretold by the initial advertisement, of course). Maybe I run in the 'wrong' circles, but I haven't seen a 90 degree foot position advocated in any of the groups or styles I have trained with, and this seems to be the main point of the article: that the 90 degree foot position is really only seen in much later works (just as I have not seen a both feet parallel direction). The rest seems to be mostly on the level of what I have seen and been taught by a number of instructors, though with some minor differences. For example, what he terms the 'open position' (front foot pointed forward, rear foot pointed ~135 deg back), my group tends to not use in our Fiore interpretation. This is mostly because the positions which illustrate it can equally be after volta stabile from the 'closed position' to what the article calls the 'reverse position', making the system much more simple and coherent (i.e. we don't end up with foot arangement that is only used a few places). But the 'open position' does show up in the rapier and sidesword material - one of the places that the article claims it is specifically not seen in modern interpretations.

That said, what I'd like to have seen is an analysis of how the representation of feet in paintings from not just before and during, but also much after the late medieval/early renaissance period to see when and how exactly one can begin to unambiguously determine foot angles. Given what is known about perspective in realist paintings and photography, I'd bet that one basically still couldn't tell unless you had numerous angles of the exact same position. And sadly, I don't think there are any sculpture versions of the fighting MSs to give a 3D view.

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ARMA Footwork Article
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: