Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The 90th Anniversary Sword of Zorro Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: The 90th Anniversary Sword of Zorro         Reply with quote

Something a little different.

We have been doing a lot of experiments, working our way up to more complex hilts and blade types, so this is one we came up with to mark the 90th Anniversary of the legendary Zorro...

More info here:

http://filmswords.com/zorro/90th-anniversary-sword-of-zorro.htm

best,

Howy

[/img]

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howie,
If this is your first entry into the really complex stuff, I can't wait to see the rest. This is a very impressive piece and makes me really look forward to Albion rapiers or other complex-hilted swords. Really nice stuff.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work as one expects from Albion. How did you darken the guard and grip?
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to more Albion rapiers too Happy

That said I'm bothered by the junction between the two parts of the blade on this particular piece. I guess it's the sort of notches that can be seen right where the fuller becomes a ridge that disturb me. Somehow I picture colichemarde blades with a smoother transition, everything smooth except the profile of course.

Not too sure a colichemarde blade is well suited to cutting with the tip as encouraged by the swell, either...

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW Howy this one really turned out great, I've been waiting for this one every since I first saw the sketches. I hope this means that Albion start to make some more complex hilts.
Éirinn go Brách
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
That said I'm bothered by the junction between the two parts of the blade on this particular piece.

I like that part.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I admire the skill, imagination, and craftsmanship shown in this sword, I don't really care for it. The thing that bugs me the most is the crest on the shell.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
While I admire the skill, imagination, and craftsmanship shown in this sword, I don't really care for it. The thing that bugs me the most is the crest on the shell.

Thats actually the part I like the most.

Éirinn go Brách
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the direction Albion is going with this later era sword and think it bodes well for future releases. However, as a life-long Zorro fan I don't care for the style of blade they chose and I especially don't like the flared tip. It's beautifully executed but not to my tastes.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it would be great if we could be excited for Albion bringing a new very detailed product to market that hints at future neat things rather than nit-picking what we don't individually like. I think one reason Albion doesn't post here as much as they used to is that some product announcement threads have gone far beyond their original purpose as announcements and the positive press they tried to generate goes the other way.
Happy

ChadA

Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will certainly be interesting to see how things go and what comes next.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I think it would be great if we could be excited for Albion bringing a new very detailed product to market that hints at future neat things rather than nit-picking what we don't individually like. I think one reason Albion doesn't post here as much as they used to is that some product announcement threads have gone far beyond their original purpose as announcements and the positive press they tried to generate goes the other way.

That would be unfortunate if that were the case Chad. Personally I see this as an opportunity to test the waters and if they don't receive positive feedback then a decision would need to be made as to how valid said feedback is. I am excited for this kind of stuff. I've been waiting a long time to see Albion try a rapier/smallsword direction.

However, I've got to be honest about this one. As excited as I am and as much as I appreciate the quality Albion strives for and has produced as a production line, I do have some reservations.

I normally do not like saying anything negative what so ever, especially where I haven't handled this piece, but I feel I am part of the target audience here for this. I collect high end reproductions AND I am a huge Zorro fan (black and white movies, new movies, and even the tv show). I was so intrigued by this endeavor I even contacted Albion about a year ago asking about the progress on this reproduction.

This is no mere smallsword as it is alluded to in Albion's description, but at 3 pounds with a 36 inch blade certainly a rapier or transitional rapier. The CoG at 1 inch from the guard is a nice little touch that I can surmise as being for simulation of the quick slashes to make a "Z". Clearly even from pictures one can tell there is great complexity in the blade and some details in the guard.

However, I feel the price point might end up being too high for a piece like this. I see there is complexity and I am sure photos will not do it justice and that some of the price (or maybe a large portion of it) comes from it being licensed. When you hit the three thousand mark though you're comparing it with some very detailed one of a kind custom work, and of course the Atlantean all of which raises the bar for what is expected.

I'd really be interested in seeing a hands on review from someone not only familiar with rapiers but also pieces at that price point.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryan,
Howie did not request feedback. And in a capitalist society, people vote with their wallets. End of story.

Let's let these announcement threads be announcements, not debates. If a maker asks for feedback, feel free to go for it. That hasn't happened here.

I'm trying to make sure we don't scare off makers here. My goal is to help the marketplace, not hurt it. Let it go.

Happy

ChadA

Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great to see a new sword from Albion! I've never actually watched any of the Zorro movies, but I really do like that sword. It looks quite unique (to me). Good job, and looking forward to seeing more complex hilted swords from Albion!
www.addisondelisle.com
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like several other posters, I have to chime in and say how excited I am to see complex hilts coming out from Albion. This is something have been looking forward to for some time.

Michael

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The 90th Anniversary Sword of Zorro
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic