Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > myArmoury goes wikipedia a proposal Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ben P.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: myArmoury goes wikipedia a proposal         Reply with quote

I saw a lot medieval, renn, and gunpowder military articles on wiki today and then I thought about RAT's wikipedia task force.

In case you don't know they fix, improve and maintain roman related articles.

My proposal is that we form our own task force join wiki's military history task forces and then go to editing, unlike RAT however we'd be more focused on armour and weapons and like RAT we would post updates on our latest wiki updates and contribs here.

How does this sound?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd very much like to see a group of informed people take on such wikipedia entries updating, correcting, and maintaining them. A group of like-minded people with the same focus would allow you guys to do peer review and quality control as well. I'm all for it.

Over the years I've taken time to edit many entries to remove some of the really bad information that was present. I also attempted to remove a lot of myArmoury.com copyrighted materials from the site and have created original art for such entries as the schematic diagram of a sword's parts in the "sword" entry.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea!

I'm all for it!

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Ben P.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'd very much like to see a group of informed people take on such wikipedia entries updating, correcting, and maintaining them. A group of like-minded people with the same focus would allow you guys to do peer review and quality control as well. I'm all for it.

Over the years I've taken time to edit many entries to remove some of the really bad information that was present. I also attempted to remove a lot of myArmoury.com copyrighted materials from the site and have created original art for such entries as the schematic diagram of a sword's parts in the "sword" entry.

Well since we got the bossman's permission it's a go Big Grin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben P. wrote:

Why would you need my permission to do something on somebody else's site? I have nothing to do with it.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ben P.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Ben P. wrote:

Why would you need my permission to do something on somebody else's site? I have nothing to do with it.

Well, you could still delete the thread, give warnings, etc.

Besides it's better to have permission and not need it than to need it and not have it. It's easier to ask permission than forgiveness Wink

In hindsight though I probably should have used blessing. . . Or just kept my shut Wink
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 29 Mar, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Call it courtesy and respect in asking Nathan's opinion about it before doing it, rather than needing a formal permission. Wink Big Grin Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Nathan's point is that myArmoury staff/administrators don't have time to organize or administer this effort, but people are welcome to undertake this as they see fit. It won't officially be a "myArmoury" effort in principle or in name, though.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ben P.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I think Nathan's point is that myArmoury staff/administrators don't have time to organize or administer this effort, but people are welcome to undertake this as they see fit. It won't officially be a "myArmoury" effort in principle or in name, though.

That's understandable and just fine and what you just described is what I had in mind
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's a good idea. Wikipedia is pretty user-friendly, and its easy to focus on a couple of areas in which one has particular expertise.

There's a dangerous discrepancy between the level of knowledge going into some of these sites and the amount they are used. Its scary how many university students are getting their knowledge from this source. We are even catching graduate students doing this. On the other hand, Professional academics seem disdainful or maybe just unaware how easy it is to do. I think that contributions are especially useful when one can provide references for the material provided, as in academic papers. It leaves a knowledge trail and nullifies the tendency to quibble over opinions.

I've expanded and monitored several sites related to my professional life (not historical arms). Someone might come along and mess around with it, but unless the new information is outright false I figure one has to go with the flow.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to point out that folks are also welcome to update and expand SwordWiki as well, which I had offered to host after a discussion on SFI. It still needs a lot of work, but the basic framework is in place.
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > myArmoury goes wikipedia a proposal
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic