Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Calling all sword geometry experts... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jul, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Calling all sword geometry experts...         Reply with quote

This isn't exactly a matter of importance, so if you have anything better to do with your time, you needn't look over this-- this post is primarily a curiosity question.

I have created a character for an online Yahoo-club-based RPG. He's quite Germanic, with sort of a 15th Century flavor (though he wears trousers... not chausses, tights, or other girly clothes Wink ), and, of course, has recieved extensive training with the longsword. My question is on the sword design I brainstormed.

The overall blade length is 40" (my character is 6'3"), and, basically, a lengthened version of Albion's Viceroy, with different hilt fittings (6-faceted scent-stopper pommel and a Type 10 cross with a spine at the center). The ricasso, however, will be only about 5" long, and will still be hollow-ground on both sides of the fuller. This will, of course, feed into a hexagonal cross-section... but a unique one. It is, essentially, hollow-ground-- visualize a hollow-ground half-spine on either side of a marginally-wider, tapering fuller and you'll get the idea. Then, about 26" down the blade, the fuller ends and the half-spines blend together into a single, slim, hollow-ground spine, which eventually sees the remainder of the blade through to an awl-shaped point. The "convergence point" might also be the approximate location of the CoP. The PoB, on the other hand, would be located at the end of the ricasso, about 5" from the cross. I hope that the completed sword could hover under 4 lbs.

My questions are:

1) Would such a blade be humanly-possible to make (including both mechanical and harmonic balance points)? It might be too complicated and/or specific with regards to balance and harmonics...

2) Would such a blade pattern be effective?

Again, this is just a curiosity question. And, no, I'm not totally obsessed with hollow-grinding-- I just think it adds a touch of class and sophistication. Cool

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Calling all sword geometry experts...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic