Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New on DVD......... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: New on DVD.........         Reply with quote

Last weekend I picked up a couple of new DVD releases.

First, Robin Hood. This version, staring Patrick Bergen, was intended to be released as a film feature. However, upon discovering that it would have to compete with that bucket full of Costner vomit, the producers released it onto television. This is a shame as I feel that it is by far the superior of the two treatments. This one would have really benifitted from a big production budget. Since Kevin Costner possesses all of the charisma of a dirty toilet bowl there are two characters he should never play, Robin Hood and James Bond. This is a pretty good show and a welcome addition to my collection.

Second, The 300 Spartans. This one is long overdue for a DVD release. The armor is fairly accurate for the period, especially for this era of Hollywood. All of the main characters possess the appropriate level of Spartan machismo. An additional bonus is that all of the Persians have English accents, so they're easily understood Wink I'm especially glad to find this one since it's hardly ever shown on television anymore.

At $9.99 a piece they're a much better deal together than the current King Arthur movie.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jeremy Scott Steimel

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick,

If you enjoy the tale of Thermopylae, I'd highly suggest reading "Gates Of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. On my father's side of the family, they used to regularly pass around all the books they had read to others to read, and I snagged this one as soon as I saw the subject matter. Wink Good read. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.

-JS

Dum spiro, spero
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy Scott Steimel wrote:
Patrick,

If you enjoy the tale of Thermopylae, I'd highly suggest reading "Gates Of Fire" by Steven Pressfield. On my father's side of the family, they used to regularly pass around all the books they had read to others to read, and I snagged this one as soon as I saw the subject matter. Wink Good read. Just thought I'd throw that one out there.

-JS

Thanks Jeremy,

In fact, I have read it more than once. It is an excellent book. It would make a pretty good movie too.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jul, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that version of Robin hood several years ago and liked it very much. Much more "gritty" than your average swashbuckling treatment of the tale. I'd completely forgotten that Uma Thurman was Maid Marian in this movie!
Another period piece I'd love to get on DVD is the early-80's TV-miniseries version of Ivanhoe with Sam Neill as Brian de Bois-Gilbert and a beautiful Olivia Hussey (of Romeo and Juliet fame) as Rebecca. Possibly the best Ivanhoe made, certainly better than the Elizabeth Taylor version, and at least as good as the late 90's version.

Regards,
Brian M
Steve Ouellette

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Kostner's Robin Hood         Reply with quote

A good tip Pat and I'll try that movie. The Kostner movie was so bad I was unable to watch it when it came out on VHS even when my neighbor and I had drinken a great deal of beer. Robert Graves has some interesting comments on the Robin Hood legend in 'The White Goddess'.
I'm glad I lived to see a time when the 300 are honored and not the joke they became amoungst many in the 70's 80's etc.
See Ya

In times of peace, the wise gentleman sharpens his sword.
Sun Tzu
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, the Bergin version is superior to the Costner attempt. As for the 1982 "Ivanhoe", it is a nice version, but for a fuller, grittier treatment, check BBC's mini-series from 1997 starring Christopher Lee as the grand master of the Templars.
My sword site
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
Yup, the Bergin version is superior to the Costner attempt. As for the 1982 "Ivanhoe", it is a nice version, but for a fuller, grittier treatment, check BBC's mini-series from 1997 starring Christopher Lee as the grand master of the Templars.

I Agree. It also starred Stephen Waddington (Duncan from Last of the Mohicans) as Wilfred Ivanhoe.
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:

I love the BBC's Ivanhoe and own it on DVD. In my opinion, it's one of the finest medieval themed films made yet. It's six hours long so things aren't rushed through like many book adaptations. I also think they did the costumes and weaponry very well. The best quote I've read about the movie..."You can almost see the lice on the Saxons!"

Constant and true.
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There have been plans to make Gates of Fire for quite a while, though for different reasons it has been stalled. Originally the Director was slated to be Michael Mann with George Clooney producing and Bruce Willis wanted a hand in things as well, but at the moment the film seems to be development hell because the script, outside of the battle itself, didn't seem to be all that strong. Perhaps if the two versions of Alexander coming out are successful then plans for this movie will move ahead.
Blaz Berlec

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:

Yep, in my oppinion best medieval movie ever made. As far as costumes and other historical details go.

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just bought "THE LAST VALLEY" with Michael Caine from a story by James Clavell (Shogen).

Set during the Thirty Years War: I saw this on late night T.V. years ago, I remember it being very good.
This, as portrayed, was a very nasty war with bands of mercenaries killing and destroying just because they could!

Unfortunatly, looking at recent history, we have DEVOLVED BACK, to this level of barbarity.
In part, the laws of War of the 18th and 19th centuries were a reaction to the indiscriminate violence of the Wars of religion.

Our regular armies still observe (For the most part) the niceties of the rules of war and at least try to avoid innocent casualties. ( Yes I do mean the U.S. armed forces.)(Yes they do make honest mistakes and sometimes "Stupid mistakes" but the intent & objectives are worth it!) (Abandonning the field to the "Barbarians" is to guaranty carnage & slavery!)

On the other hand no horror is beyond the opposing irregular forces: If feeding newborn babies to wolves helped their cause(s) they wouldn't think twice about doing it.

In fighting them it is essential to NOT sink to their level as this would turn victory into defeat.

Trangely guess who receives the most comdemnation.
(Sorry, if I got a bit off topic.)

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jul, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OOOOps typo alerte: Trangely should have been STRANGELY, (sorry, typing to fast!)
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New on DVD.........
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic