Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you attach legs to a belt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: How do you attach legs to a belt         Reply with quote

Hello there

Recently I purchased a pair of 15th century legs from M Tailor, and I was wondering what does one recomend to atach them to a belt or other means. I have some old lace I use to hold them up by they seem to eventually slide around. I just need to know other methods of wearing them or attacheing them
Thanks
Christopher

Proudly it stands until the worlds end. The victorious banner of love.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well the proper way would be to use arming doublet - legs would be pointed to the garment. Various ways of attaching them to the belt are anachronistic invention, regarding 15th century armour.

Last edited by Artis Aboltins on Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The are many videos and guides on the web. A good example can be found here.

The proper weight distribution and range of movement you will discover by arming yourself correctly will make you think you're in heaven!

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A belt is possible... However you will soon realize that all the weight will begin to pull on thelower portion of your back. This pain becomes very irritating and is a highly un-natural feel.

A proper arming vest will be tightend around your entir waist. And the weight of the legging armor is properly distributed on your hips and your shoulders... and as mention'd feels heavenly compared to a belt suspention.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you must go with a belt, make it a good wide one, such as a kidney belt or c-belt. As stated above, a belt plays hell on your lower back. A pourpoint / arming gambeson will work if properly fitted (if not, it will kill your back/shoulders) - but make sure that you buy it from someone with a reputation for durability, and not something that will fall apart after a couple wears.

Good luck in your search!

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can anyone give me links to a good dealer for a decent but not to spendy pour point or what have you?
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use the revival arming shirt and swear by it. it works! just make sure you don't buy too large of a size. let the port-a-piece do its job.

http://www.revivalclothing.com/index.asp?Page...ProdID=221
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jan, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
I use the revival arming shirt and swear by it. it works! just make sure you don't buy too large of a size. let the port-a-piece do its job.

http://www.revivalclothing.com/index.asp?Page...ProdID=221

I am glad you had good luck with the Revival product yourself, but we have not had such luck with their products. My SSG instructor blew his out in three days and another friend of mine ripped his points out after a week. The Revival ones that I have seen looked to be made of some sort of fairly thin linen and the points were unenforced. The design was good, but the fabric was just not very durable to withstand combat.

If the OP went with the Revival, I'd say write them about how the points hold up now to see if there has been a design change since August of 2009. I'd also ask them if it were possible for them to send you a swatch of the fabric to evaluate it before making a purchase. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Thom R.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jan, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I talked to Jonathan via a PM and his complaints seem valid. I have not experienced that degree of a problem with mine so I don't know what to say. different batch, different linen? I dunno. sounds like a QC issue so ....................caveat emptor i guess. tr

Last edited by Thom R. on Mon 25 Jan, 2010 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Finneman

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is any patterns readily available online to make my own arming coat/ pourpoint?
My mother is a rathe good seamstress and Iam dirt poor to afford a reviaval coat.
So anyone knows?
Thanks

Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the guide that I originally followe and tried to make an arming jacket from. This says a gambeson, though accuratly it is arming attire. I made one according to the direct instructions from this manuel... and the piece turned out rather ugly looking. I re-made it with quite a few modifications and the look came out far more refined with a crisp look and fit...

http://www.aemma.org/misc/gambeson_instructions.pdf

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I use a pourpoint (or how it is called? A sleeveless vest, like shown in here http://www.revivalclothing.com/index.asp?Page...&ID=15). Made it myself, it is pretty easy. I used a pattern for pourpoint of Charles de Blois, but without all these sleeve pieces http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/blois.gif. Works very well. Just make sure that it is tight on the waist and loose on the chest. I used a belt before, and it sucked.
Gert-Jan Beukers

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I attached my leg pieces in this way.(take a look at the crappy image I made with paint) I made 2 leather belts to another leather belt that goes around my waist, the 2 other belts are hanging on my shoulders. This is cheaper and it's easy to make. I don't know if it's histoically accurate but it works for me.

Attachment: 9.07 KB
leg attachment.JPG

Correct me if I'm wrong.... I'm dutch
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It might work. But most likely it will either transfer the weight to your shoulders, which is not very good, or, just like ordinary belt, chafe your hips, which is painful. Try wearing your full kit for at least an hour and see how it works.
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher,

What gauge of metal and type of metal are your legs? If they are 16 gauge mild steel, I would caution that you may have difficulty in using a "historical" suspension method. Most re-enactor armor (especially SCA used armor) is over built to withstand the constant punishment of the way we use it. Therefore it is considerably heavier than period armour, and that makes it much more difficult to use a historical approach. Not impossible, but much more difficult for the average person who has not had all his kit expertly fitted.

Personally, I use a military style load bearing belt and shoulder harness under my arming cotte, and run leather straps up and over the belt in two places (for each leg). It is totally invisible, comfortable for long periods, and is cheap. You can get a brand new set in black for about $25. Others in the SCA have also had good experiences with some of the C-belts available over on the Armor Archive (Pitbull reportedly sells a nice one, but I have no personal experience).

Just my personal word of caution on the issue. The historical solution is nice, but if its not fitted properly, it can be miserable to wear and obviously can be quite expensive to acquire the arming garment.

If you have access to a good seamster or seamstress, Reconstructing History or Period Patterns makes some excellent patterns for constructing 15th Century arming garments.

I personally made mine out of two layers of 8 oz Linen that I bought online (no padding) and used the following PP 101 pattern. With some minor adjustments (and I'm a very basic sewer) Mine came out very similar to the Revival one.

Period Patterns #101: Military Garments

You also might consider the new pattern from RH. It would be where I would start, if I was doing a new one.

RH006 - 15th century Burgundian Arming Coat

Just my personal experiences, other may have very different views.
Thom R.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a c-belt from Andy Leider at Pitbull Armoury. Great guy , great belt. but again, if you want to get the weight onto your hips you need to make sure the belt is the exact right size for you.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How do you attach legs to a belt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic