Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bronze Blade - What type? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Bronze Blade - What type?         Reply with quote

I bought this blade from Albion's dust bin but do not have any information about it. Can anyone help identify this blade? Also I am going to put a hilt on it but am unsure how to go about it as I do not want to drill holes in the tang. Any help I can get would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Harry

Attachment: 204.56 KB
Bronze Blade 005.jpg

Attachment: 205.97 KB
Bronze Blade 009.jpg

Attachment: 206.95 KB
Bronze Blade 010.jpg

To Study The Edge of History
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harry,
Check out Neil Burridge's web page called Bronze Age Craft, and Matthew Amt's Greek Hoplite page which has a link to his Bronze Age page. Both those places have information that may help you figure out how to hilt that sword.

www.bronze-age-craft.com

I would say it is a replica of a Mycenean short sword/dagger. Looks very thick and heavy. You may want to hit it with some serious grinding to bring it closser to originals acceptable weight. Also I am pretty sure you will have to drill holes to hilt that sword, and do some rivetting. Hope this helped.
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Luke Zechman         Reply with quote

Luke, thanks for your information Yes, it looks like a Mycennae sword dagger. Actually, the photo makes the blade look thick and clumsy but it really looks better that than that. I hope this picture does it better service. The blade weighs less than a pound and is semi sharp. the point tip was broken so I had to fix that with a file.

I guess your are right in that I am going to have to drill a hole in the tang, preferably at the end of it. the other holes will might be done on the thick part of the upper part of the sword body.

Attachment: 206.95 KB
Bronze Blade 010.jpg

To Study The Edge of History
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Khaire!

I *think* that's supposed to be an interpretation of the Mycenaean "Lion Hunt" dagger. The original, along with a number of similar pieces, had an inset panel of specially blackened bronze inlaid with gold and silver. These daggers typically don't have a tang at all, the hilt being riveted to the shoulders of the blade. So all you have to do is lop off the tang and drill a few holes. Ah, found a photo, attached below.

The Albion Moat bronzes are certainly a cheap way to get into bronze weaponry, but they generally involve more work for less satisfaction. Once you get a GOOD bronze weapon from Neil or one of the other good casters out there, you'll never go back to the Indian-made things. You can see a few conversions that I've done:

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/BAweapons.html

Good luck! And yell if you need more advice.

Matthew

Attachment: 167.38 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bronze Blade - What type?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic