Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scotia Metalworks,question. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Scotia Metalworks,question.         Reply with quote

Hello
Does anyone own a baskethilt from Scotia Metalworks,if so, could you give me a mini review?I`ve seen alot of thier smaller knives in the classifieds,but no swords.
Thanks
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl, a friend of mine in the Highland Games circuit (and fellow MacGregor) has a couple of his dirks. He tells me they're nothing special (he also owns two Vinc Evans dirks, so you can probably see what his standard is). I have never heard anything about or handled one of his baskethilts, but for the money he wants for the one on his web site, it'd better be spectacular (and I bet if the reports on his dirks are any incidation, they're not up to the aksing price). Hope this helps.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Karl Knisley

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello
The blade sure is pretty though:-)

Thanks
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl... there is a story about this sword. Two years ago a guy walks up to Mike McRae at the Blade Show in Atlanta and admires a basket hilt on his table and says something like "Gee, that's one beautiful sword. Could you make one up for me with a Damascus blade so I can buy it next year at the show?" Mike says "Sure." So - and you already see where this is going - the guy shows up at Mike's table with total amnesia about his order. So Mike has a nice sword with an expensive blade that is a little over budget for most people.

I have one of Mike's basket hilts and I think he would be the first to admit he is in the learning stages. Since his table is just across the aisle from Vince Evans, Vince being the great guy he is has been giving Mike some tips. Some of the pluses are that Mike has a good idea of accurate balance and weight; however the drawback is that his construction techniques are a bit rough around the edges, for example, spot welding and grinding to join metal rather than forge welding, etc. Mike also seems to have a tendency to aim his craft at the Highland Games crowd and not at collectors. I have several of his dirks and, let me tell you, when he puts his mind to it, he can do some really nice work. Look on his website under past projects. I have the one with the scalloped brass insets in my collecyion and it is a beaut. Bet Mike had to make this blade 6 times before he got it right. One of the other "basket heads" on this forum has one of the earlier prototypes in his collection as well. His other dirks are, well, nice for carrying around but not necessarily for collecting.

Finally, Mike is a great great guy. Regardless of what you may buy or order, you can be sure Mike McRae will stand solidly behind anything with his mark on it!

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Scotia Metalworks,question.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic