Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > katana design for makers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: katana design for makers         Reply with quote

hi all, i have this katana design for quite some time and im in search of a maker who would take it for a production piece.
i need to make the hamon design again because it is a complex one never to be seen (on this planet i think Razz Laughing Out Loud )

it is a feather themed katana that i wanted to make for myself but i was thinking ''why not make it for a production piece so everyone who wants one could get one?'' so thats why i am searching for a maker...

all i want in exchange is the first copy of my design.

so anyone interested to produce it i'll make a drawing of it this week Big Grin
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne,
I wish you luck in your endeavor. However, I must tell you this is not the best way to go about things. If you want to be taken seriously as a designer, you'd be better served contacting makers directly rather than posting on a public forum.

However you choose to go about it, you also need to be able to convince makers that your design has something to offer, whether it is artistic beauty, historical accuracy, durability, or some combination of those elements (or other things). Simply being able to draw a picture you find attractive may not be enough.

What about your design will be attractive to makers and their customers? What is it about your design that is different from the plethora of items out there on the market already? I'm not looking for you to answer these questions publicly unless you want to. They're just things for you to think about.

Personally, I want a sword designer who has put in serious time studying swords, by reading books, going to museums, handling items, experimenting with forms, etc. Many people here feel the same way, I'd bet. So, you need to figure out what you want your designs to have that we can't already find in the marketplace. What is it that you, Etienne Hamel, bring to sword designs? That kind of question is what every maker and designer needs to have thought about. That is your selling point to your customers.

That is what you need to have thought about in order to convince someone to buy your design. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what i meant in this topic is that i don't know of the makers in this categorie of weapon (the only i know is cheness, paul chen, hanwei...) and i was wondering what are the other makers who make these swords.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne Hamel wrote:
what i meant in this topic is that i don't know of the makers in this categorie of weapon (the only i know is cheness, paul chen, hanwei...) and i was wondering what are the other makers who make these swords.

Etienne,
This is all part of the research that goes into entering the market. You need to do your research to find out what products are out there, who specializes in what, etc. Use the Links page on this site, use Google, etc. Happy hunting!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Etienne,

Much as I hate to re-direct you to another forum, have you looked on SFI (Sword Forum International). They have masses of examples of modern makers of Katanas etc. (there are plenty out there to choose from).

One of the reasons I love myArmoury so much is because Japanese weapons are definately not my thing and SFI seems to be rather swamped with them!

Happy hunting,

Julian
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If in sword design we should arrive at certainty without doubt and form without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of the design in mathematics.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > katana design for makers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic