Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valentine Armouries mail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andrew Zander

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Valentine Armouries mail         Reply with quote

I was reading a thread where someone had questions on purchasing "chainmail" on a budget. No one seemed to offer too much info regarding the mail sold through Valentine Armouries. So, I asked them about it. Here is what they said:

Hello there Happy

The riveted chainmail we get is made in India from the same factories
that Museum Replicas and all others are made (if made in India).
I've seen some sites that people from USA or Canada make this
themselves,
but they of course have a very HIGH cost Sad The rivets are round
style...
and wedge style is not available from India (at this time anyway).

Hope that helps.
Sincerely,
- Mich Shire

I commend Valentine Armouries with their great and fast customer service.

Now, my question is, does anyone have any experience with this armor. I realize you get what you pay for with this hobby, but is this mail worth the money?

Thanks for your time,
Andrew
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know the answer to your question but I hope somebody does because I've been wondering the same thing.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 28 Jun, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Valentine Armouries mail         Reply with quote

Andrew Zander wrote:

Now, my question is, does anyone have any experience with this armor. I realize you get what you pay for with this hobby, but is this mail worth the money?

Thanks for your time,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

this is not a simple question to answer. The mail is not historically accurate in design and dimension, but it is rivetted and is 8mm. It is also relatively cheep, and they offer to modify it for your needs (no returns after that though). I have not handled the particular product but have heard much discussion.

whether it is worth it or not will depend on the individual. I think the price is reasonable. But for few hundred more (~$750 ) you can get a haubergon (or a hauberk but not sure of the price) form "GetDressedforBattle.com". I have a sample form them and I believe it is closer to historical mail than the indian stuff, but it is still not exactly "period accurate". Most of the problems stem form the end-overlap of the individual links. Read this thread for more info http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1558 Pay attention to the Erik Schmid's posts.

Also Bill Grandy was selling a 8mm mail from the Indian manufacturers for a reasonable price. He may offer some hands-on comments.

Ultimately , whether it is worth it or not will depend on your needs and how much of a "period nazi" you are:)

Hope that helps,

Alexi
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jun, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just picked up one of the mail coifs, and I have a hauberk on order for delivery later this year. The prices are very reasonable compared to the much praised flat ring riveted mail. Valentine sells the 10mm coif for only $100 new, and I picked mine up on Ebay for only $66. Compared to butted mail, the product is noticeably lighter and feels stronger. It's still made of material that's a little too bright and shiny for my tastes. I would prefer a more browned or aged look than it has out of the box. But that's my job now, to get it to look more 'used'. Since I am only going to use this mail as an underlayer for plate armor, it is not essential to me that it look perfectly historical. So I would call it a good value for somebody who is not ready to invest nearly a thousand dollars in a coif/hauberk pair.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jun, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Valentine Armouries mail         Reply with quote

Andrew Zander wrote:

Thanks for your time,
Andrew

We have been using the same mail for about three years with no failures. (Purchased from RELICS, in London, Ontario) AEMMA uses rebated steel weapons in our armoured play, with thrusts and grappling. The mail holds up well. I've replaced exactly one link in my haubergeon.

That said, the mail doesn't look "right" to an armour historian or puritanical re-enactor. It isn't reproduction grade kit. It is safe, reliable equipment for a reasonable price and readily available. If you need a higher level of appearance and durability, you might look at the better quality Indian mail that Forth Armoury imports. It is made of smaller, flat links with a wedge rivet. It isn't galvanized, either! However, it is almost twice the price of the other stuff and Steve sells it faster than he can import it. I can't speak about its durability, as I've only seen it worn by a particular poseur of my acquaintance. One of our instructors has finally ordered a coif and haubergeon after several months of "SOLD OUT" whenever he tried to buy. We'll have a field test shortly.

If you want really accurate reproduction western medieval mail, then you need to commission Eric Schmidt to make it. You might have it in a few years, but from what others have commented, it will be worth the wait.

Good Hunting

Kel Rekuta
AEMMA Scholler
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 22 Sep, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have recently obtained both a Valentine Armoury helm with riveted mail aventail, and a hauberk/coif combo of the new flat riveted mail from India. They appear to be made of rings of about 10mm inside diameter, and are quite heavily constructed and well made. Though they're too new and shiny looking for my personal taste, I'm sure they will become properly antique looking as they age.

The flat mail can now be obtained on short notice at very good prices from a dealer in Texas: http://finditarmory.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Valentine Armouries mail
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic