Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > kris cutlery viking sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom King

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: kris cutlery viking sword         Reply with quote

How good is this sword? temper, accuracy, cutting ability? I like the 2 piece guard and pommel are good but I'll probably throw out the scabbard (well after I made a new one Wink )

Attachment: 74.7 KB
[ Download ]
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From looking at the stats it appears to be a bit overweight at 3.3lbs, its POB looks to be a far out at 6.5 inches and it has a pretty thick blade too. That would seem to make the sword rather blade heavy. The sword looks ok although the cross section at the point should be lenticular not diamond shaped. Although the pommel is a 2 piece construction, its screwed onto the tang, so effectively when it comes to historical accuracy they give with one hand and take away with the other! The grip is also a little long at 4.25 inches, Viking swords of this type generally had grips below 4 inches in length.

Having said that its received generally good reports from the reviews I've seen on forums like SBG. It seems to be solidly made. Although SBG often approachs the evaluation of a sword with regard to its durability and suitability as a backyard 'cutter' rather than as a historical reproduction. So I guess it's all down to what qualities you are looking for. Indestructable backyard cutter? Historically accurate recreation? Or a combination of the two?

Personally I would go with the Hanwei/Tinker Viking sword. http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...+%2D+Sharp
Its not only cheaper than the Kris Cutlery offering at the moment on KoA, its also received some very favourable reviews. It has a peened hilt construction (although the pommel is 1 piece), The blade has a correct lenticular cross section and its weight and balance would seem closer to original Viking swords. Overal I'd say it was a better bet, plus it comes with a decent scabbard. Happy

Another option would be the Albion Squire Line Viking Sword. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...viking.htm
Its more expensive than the Hanwei/Tinker and the Kris Cutlery (although only around $150 more than the Kris Cutlery). The Squire Line are made blunt, but Albion provide an excellent sharpening service giving a nice blended edge.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Tom King

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well crap, now I want the Albion >.<. It actually is extactly what I want, no lobes, no bad casting. I've been knocking around the Idea of the tinker for a while, but I don't like how the blunt model has the weird inwardly tapering width to keep the weight the same. I might also go for the origional Hanwie viking since it looks good and the $70 price tag will let me go for a spear or mail shirt and helmet Big Grin
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't add anything about the Kris cutlery Viking sword but I want to add my endorsement of the Hanwei Tinker Viking sword or the Norman sword or the replacement blade. Not the best or most authentic hilt in the world but a really good blade with a much better sheathe than the Kris cutlery sword has. Its a lot easier to rehilt a good blade than to try to make a poor blade better.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently purchased a used KC Viking from a fellow forum member (thanks Ben!!!) and have nothing but praise for it. Then again, it seems to be slightly older, although it is of the current configuration, it is much lighter than the current listed stats (mine is right at 2 lbs, 10 oz -- a little bit over 2.5 lbs) and the CoG is (I don't have it right at hand now) probably around 5 inches or so. It is (relatively) light and fast, for such a wide blade.
Bad things? Well, I think the hilt feels "thick" to me. Not terribly so, but just a bit. Anyway this is a subjective measure, and I needed to find something negative about it. Wink Oh yes, and the scabbard is cheezy.
But overall it's a beautiful sword and it handles very well.

How this relates to the current production models, which do seem to be heavier, I don't know (one more thing, mine has been slightly modded by the previous owner, with a cord-wrapped grip instead of the thick leather one sewn up the side -- it doesn't look comfortable to me, but I haven't handled it so what do I know). I had been looking at the KC viking sword for some time, as I have had positive experiences with other KC products, but admittedly I shyed away from it due to the weight issue. This one came up and I lucked into it.

Re the historical accuracy issue... yeah, KC could just as well have peened the hilt. But all the various lower-price makers have their historical issues as well.... so, I guess it's a trade-off (still, KC could just as easily have peened it... wouldn't have raised the cost much, if any... just sayin' is all...)....

Anyway, the Hanwei/Tinker Viking is an excellent sword (the sharp is, anyway).

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > kris cutlery viking sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic