Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Can a Knight touch his toes?" -The pros and cons of armor- Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Sun 11 Oct, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Maxwell wrote:
That seems reasonable. OTOH, how many people are going to have the money, opportunity or skill to test a warhammer from horseback against armour (maybe Julia Thut might have??)

Oh i completely agree, I was just pointing this out for general reference.

Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can touch my toes in my harness, and my points don't rip out! Razz

Attachment: 145.17 KB
[ Download ]

jamesarlen.com
G. Bezanson

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben P. wrote:
Keep in mind that the wearer would also have a plackart, good mail (preferably doubled I would think) and several thick layers of padding and leather under the armour and I would think over as well and the cuirass would also having reinforcements and would on a 5-10-6+ 180 pound man who has a shield and is moving and fighting back

From what I have read, after the real sets of full plate were made, the mail became reduced to gaussets, pieces too protect the places that either couldn't be, or are difficult to, protect with plate. As armour progressed, shields seam to have fallen into disuse by the priveledged few who possesed and wore good plate armour. You do, however, make a very valid point about the fact that the person is fighting back.

I also think that the toe touching is more of a way to illustrate flexibility, than any necessary need to physically touch one's toes. I don't think you'll have to worry much about the flexibility of reasonably articulated plate armour that fits you.

Probably the biggest factor as for what armour you pick is the place and time period. Lorica Segmentata, for example, would be a little out place in 16th century France. If you're just looking for something for display, though, just get what you like.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Maxwell wrote:
Alex Spreier wrote:
As to the one-hand warhammer vs poleaxe - IMHO the poleaxe would deal more damage because of increased mass and leverage. However remember that the majority of one-hand hammers/axes were used on horseback - meaning it's not just the mass of the weapon + your arm's acceleration but also the horse's acceleration and mass = hitting like a ton of bricks!

That seems reasonable. OTOH, how many people are going to have the money, opportunity or skill to test a warhammer from horseback against armour (maybe Julia Thut might have??)

I REALLY wanna do this. Along with swords, axes and spears. I got a chance to try a lance from horseback and it was a blast...even if my horsemanship wasn't quite good enough for me to target very well on horseback. I think I hit the target 1 out of 10 times and that was just from luck :P . I actually live next to a horse ranch, maybe I could get an owner to barrow a horse for some experiments...although I wouldn't hold my breath for the likelyhood of them saying yes hehe.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it's well made and fitted, it won't restrict your movement very much of course. Having said that, my plate harness won't allow me to do it. My voiders restrict my arms a little too much (I need to work on that), and the GDFB legs are ridiculously tall, and impede bending beyond a certain point at the hip. Picking something up off the ground involves me doing a wide-stance squat. Happy
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Deshler Davies

PostPosted: Mon 12 Oct, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

kk now that you all have ironed that out....
i was more referring to the pros and cons of all armor types for general knowledge.
The first and second post refer to this but i think some of you may have skimmed the better lol
Thats fine but the first question now answered i hope that i may receive some input on my second ^_^
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well hereīs the thing...plate keeps you alive. No advantage really beat that and no con really negates that.

That said, the main limiting factor of what armor you can wear really depends on heat and humidity. That is the only real thing thatīs gonna keep somebody from using the best armor they can get their hands on...beyond some isolated cases Iīm sure that other in this forum can come up with Happy .
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can touch my toes easily in my Patrick Thaden harness. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of me actually doing so.

I do, however, have a video of me engaging in some light gymnastics and doing push-ups in harness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm11yAXeegg

In addition, I have photos of a guy wearing my suit's "evil twin," a suit very similar to mine (also made by Patrick Thaden), touching his toes:

Non Concedo
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice armor there Josh. And a very good example of moving in armor Happy .
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Warren wrote:

In addition, I have photos of a guy wearing my suit's "evil twin," a suit very similar to mine (also made by Patrick Thaden), touching his toes:

*kidding mode on* Ha Haaaa, got you Laughing Out Loud ! The "evil twin" is not wearing period hose with points, in reality he couldnīt do that *kidding mode off*

Both harnessess look really nice.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To those who are dismissing my comment about points:
My comment was such:

if you were wearing period correct harness for plate armour you would break the points holding your hose up before you were stopped by the armour

I fight and ride in period correct hose and pourpoints. I routinely break clothing points while doing gymnastic type things, such as rolling, jumping on horses and being thrown about in WMA demonstrations. this experience coupled with the fact that in the kings ordinances points were provided to his men as a monthly allowance leads me to believe that points should break at the extremes of movement and that if they don't then something is probably wrong. Having said that, if Chris and Felix are wearing correct hose for their period armour then they will be a different cut to mine which are a good 55 years different in period.

To the original poster:
The pros and cons of armour types are difficult to list, as its a very in depth subject. It all depends on what you want your harness for and so on. to say one item is heavier/more restricting than another is again misleading as even within sub categories there are huge differences in weight and maneuverability.

As I said before, generally the further through time you get the better the armour is. I would say the pinnacle of armour technology would be the 16th century garnatures of Milan and Greenwich. These Contain many pieces which can be switched out and exchanged, or even enhanced by other pieces of the garnature, allowing the wearer to customize their harness for different battlefield or tournament roles. These Garnatures routinely contained anima cuirasses as the mainstay torso protection, suggesting that they were considered effective and useful for most uses. However, most of these also contained additional Placarts for reinforcing the cuirass, which may hint that the anima isn't as strong as a solid or two piece breastplate.

I'll try and put up some pictures from the greenwich blueprint watercolours tomorrow, in the hope its helpful for understanding my recent ramblings.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never broken any point wearing period hosen attached to my doublet (15thc) Neither have the 3 guys that have full suits in my group.
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Tue 13 Oct, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just leave the rearmost points on my hosen undone when I know I'm going to be doing something athletic, and I've never had any trouble.
Non Concedo
Deshler Davies

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

okay well we have narrowed the selection
negating heat
i am now stuck on anima or full plate
i cannot give a reason to pick one over the other
any reasons?
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whicvh ever one you like the look of and can afford is my suggestion Happy /.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've not seen a good anima reproduction before if that fact helps your choice at all...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "Can a Knight touch his toes?" -The pros and cons of armor-
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: