Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Michael Simkins reproductions. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexander Pratt

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Michael Simkins reproductions.         Reply with quote

In the book Warriors of Rome by Michael Simkins there are photographs of, what appear to be very fine reproductions of Roman Empire era swords, helmets, axes and armor. I am very interested in finding some of these reproductions. Dose anybody know weather Michael Simkins still produces reproduction weapons and armor and if so weather he sells them to the public?

Thank you

Alexander Pratt

774. Warriors of Rome: An Illustrated Military History of the Roman Legions, by Michael Simkins
Hardcover, 160 pages, Blandford Pr, Published: 1989-02-01, ISBN: 0713720018[/i]
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could you perhaps post some scans? I don't have the book in my collection...
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Oct, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ave!

As of a few years ago at least, Michael Simkins was indeed doing commission work. However, I believe he is not a computer user, so it can be a little inconvenient dealing with him. The old paper and pencil routine! Probably one of the Roman groups in England could get his address for you.

He is EXPENSIVE, even compared to most other custom armorers. There are several places to get reproductions that are just as good (or better) for a lower price. On a few things, Simkins even has been known to "cheat", such as silver-soldering components to make a buckle that should simply be cast. Good-looking stuff, don't get me wrong! And it's quite possible he doesn't do things that way any more, so I don't want to be casting unwarranted aspersions. I'm just saying that he's usually not the first place people go to get good reproductions these days.

My Legio XX site has a page of suppliers that might be helpful, though I tend to focus on sources in the US since that's where we're based:

http://www.larp.com/legioxx/supplrs.html

You can also see Simkins' work in his Osprey book (Roman Army from Caesar to Trajan), and he apparently made many of the reproductions in H. Russell Robinson's classic Armour of Imperial Rome.

Does that help? If you're looking for a particular item, I may be able to give more advice.

Vale,

Matthew

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Michael Simkins reproductions.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic