Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baskethilts from the Wars of three Kingdoms to Killiecrankie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a tip, here guys. I have a new basket hilt from ELJay that is a repro of Lochiel's sword. The original was made of silver but, of course, mine is highly polished steel.

With regard to the peened vs screwed tang, here is a trick I use.

1. Cut the tang threads about 1/4" too short to come up level with the pommel cap nut.

2. Get a slotted machine screw 11/4x12x28 and grind off the slot (round it as you grind.)

3. Clamp up the screw in a vise and heat the head with a butane torch until it is a dull red.

4. Use the ball-end of a ball peen hammer to made the screw head look like a peened over tang.

5. Screw the peened over screw into the pommel nut and use the ball peen to finish the look. You don't have to heat the screw up again at this point.

The advange of this process is two fold. (1) it looks like a peened over tang but without the chance of the sword getting loose and (2) the pommel nut can still unscrew from the threaded tang to disassemble the basket for maintenance and cleaning. In essence, the false peened over "tang" is just an extension of the pommel nut.

I know I'm not the first to think of this, but it's a nice trick and adds some additional authenticity to the appearence of the sword.

Hope this helps someone.

Glenn

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Mr Osborne, that is a good trick, I might go with that but I really like simple peening job and don't mind some additional hammer repeening now and then.
About that ELJay Lochiel sword... Pictures please!!! Wink
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm reading a lot of topics about baskethilts these days and I got an impression that early ribbon hilts with counter curved quillons from the first half of the 17th century are more English than Scottish hilts, as opposed to later beak nosed ribbons, although Scots sure did use them. If that is correct, what is the generic baskethilt style in the first half of the 17th century Highlands?
GG Osborne

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There really isn't a "generic" Scottish type, Luka. The Scots did not invent the baskhilt, they simple adapted it artistically to their culture and needs. It really became an issue of form following function. The very earlist basket hilts that have somewhat of the appearence we are used to seeing did come from England. the famous "Mary Rose" hilt is a good example. One interesting thing you do see on many early ribbon hilts are the quillons and their remnants. For example the so-called 'Sinclair' cutlass that accompanied the Scots to Sweden seemed to have had fully developed quillons but they were probably manufactured in Germany or the Lowlands. The 'beak nose' ribbon ribbon hilt is just showing the vestigle remnants of the now missing quillons.

So, in my humble opinion, just find a style extant from the period that suites your fancy and go for it!

"Those who live by the sword...will usually die with a huge, unpaid credit card balance!"
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm definitely going with the ribbon hilt with quillons. I like it very much and it fits my period so there are no doubts whether to go with it or not. I just wondered if the Scots had a style that they originated. Thanks for clearing this Mr.Osborne. Btw, I have the blade of the Windlass sword of Granson, it's quite stiff, it seems very well tempered, so after some little modifications the process of the basket making is going to begin.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Baskethilts from the Wars of three Kingdoms to Killiecrankie
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: