Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What to do with my Flamberge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean O'Sirin

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject: What to do with my Flamberge         Reply with quote

Picked up this little guy as an investment during lockdown. It looks like an original to me. Patina is right and age on the wood and leather on the handle is about what you'd expect. Blade is quite edgy and even though it stands about 6' 2", the weight is right for a fighting sword at about 9 pounds. A not uncommon hilt style, you can see a famous similar sword located at the Cleveland art museum https://www.clevelandart.org/art/1919.71
I would like to sell this, but the handle has extensive damage. It's loose and moves about hence the guard is loose as well. The leather that is left is falling apart. I'm debating having a new handle constructed. Problem is the pommel would have to be removed and be repeened. Or maybe I should sell as is. I'm trying to get the best price I can so I can escape Portland and relocate to a better place. Be happy for any input and suggestions.

Attachment: 57.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 34.39 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 35.04 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 41.26 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 135.16 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 75.27 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 135.21 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 136.88 KB
[ Download ]
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Mon 01 May, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean, this is an interesting sword - the style is North German, c.1580-1600, intended for parading, ceremonial and possibly guarding the ensign but not for real combat which is why so many 2-handers like this survive. It is also the style frequently copied in the 19th century for people who wanted a 'bit of history' to hang on the wall. Whether yours is an authentic 16th century sword or one of these replicas I cannot tell from a photo. But the poor condition might suggest that it is 400 years old. Don't try to restore it yourself (unless you are a skilled swordsmith) Its value, either repro or not, would drop heavily as soon as you dismantle it - sell it "as is" is my advice. Good luck.
Neil (author 'The Two-handed Sword) .

N Melville
Sean O'Sirin

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your input Niel....much appreciated.
Stacey M

PostPosted: Tue 16 May, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Sword         Reply with quote

Hello hello. I just spent the last few weeks traveling around the Iberian Peninsula looking at a lot of two handers

Something in my gut tells me this isn’t an original. But I want to be wrong. You should reach out to a few sword experts- maybe Peter Johnson to begin with (if he will give you the time) Is a Lovely fellow I’m sure he’s just busy

He could recommend some other experts as well
Listen to them

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What to do with my Flamberge
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic