Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > NG Gotland, second time around. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: NG Gotland, second time around.         Reply with quote

My replacement Gotland arrived today. Thankfully, UPS was more kind to it.

The good:

It's an awesome design with an imposing blade. It is much bigger than one might first suspect! The custom dye on the grip was, as expected, very well done.

The bad:

It arrived with some red rust on the hilt components (the smooth surfaces; this is not the darkening around the decorative features). I was honestly very surprised by this. I wouldn't think that Albion would let such an obvious problem slip past their quality control, so it may have happened in transit. But, then again, these steel hilt components should have had a coat of oil for protection while in transit to prevent rusting...

The rust has been mostly polished out with some MetalGlo, a good towel, and elbow grease. I'm not sure if I can or should take anything tougher to it to remove the light pitting that occured. The existence of it may grate on me to no end.

Conversely, the NG Gaddhjalt I just received last week was devoid of rust. I guess I just don't have much luck with the Gotland... hopefully that won't carry over to the Sempach I just ordered.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: NG Gotland, second time around.         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
The bad:

It arrived with some red rust on the hilt components (the smooth surfaces; this is not the darkening around the decorative features). I was honestly very surprised by this. I wouldn't think that Albion would let such an obvious problem slip past their quality control, so it may have happened in transit. But, then again, these steel hilt components should have had a coat of oil for protection while in transit to prevent rusting...

Tim, I'm very sorry about the rust. It really sucks when you get a new sword and it has rust on it. No excuses...things are a bit humid here and sometimes our best efforts still do not prevent a small amount of rust. If you want, we can refurbish it for you, but in truth, your best bet is to get a gray scotch-brite pad and some Breakfree and scrub it a little. That should remove the rust with little effort. The Breakfree will also help prevent more rust from moisture in the air. Again, I'm very sorry.

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jun, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem, Eric. I have to pick up a gray scotchbrite... I've seen them before, but never actually picked one up. I have the Breakfree CLP and use it to protect. Now I'll use it to refurbish Wink

I'll have to see if the grocery store by my workplace has any Scotchbrite stuff tomorrow. If not, Home Depot perhaps.

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > NG Gotland, second time around.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic