Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A Custom Walking Cane aka "The Gentlemans Cane" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject: A&A Custom Walking Cane aka "The Gentlemans Cane&qu         Reply with quote

Hi Folks !

Finally i find the time to show what Craig and the folks at A&A did for me in the first half of this year.

Its a custom project based on their regular warhammer. It was a present for my dads retirement party and while he is not into historical arms but has trouble with his back i figured a more unique walking aid was in order.

So without further adoo some specs.

Weight: 1600 gramms
Height: 101 cm

Despite the weight its actually quite comfortable to use - according to my father. He is resting his hand on the side spike and gripping with his fingers around the wire wrap. When standing and waiting his hand is usually resting on the top knob.

The original leather cord from craig was a bit short so we added one with a bit more oomppfh to it. Just to make sure the cane does not get lost in a store or similar. And on the rounded metal tip got covered with a ruber piece from a regular every day walking cane so its not exessively loud.

I am trying to attach the pics - i hope it works.

Working with Craig was a real pleasure. You can see the quality of any manufracturer when unforseen problems arrise - and without over doing it - A&A really excelled in handling them. I will make sure to be a repeated customer.

Best regards

Klaus

P.S: Oh... from a handling point of view ( I tried it in the garden) as a self defense weapon - hopefully it will never be needed. Its very comfortable in 2 hand use. With the left hand in the area of the first wire wrap above the rubber duck foot and the right about in the middle of the shaft the power generated in a determined blow would be fearsome. What really strieks out in this piece is the incredible ease of use. The weapon has more then enough heft for an encounter and is well controlabe even in the hands of an untrained person .

Attachment: 209.67 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 182.72 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 203.89 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 192.66 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 171.31 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 92.19 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 169.27 KB
[ Download ]

Memento Mori
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool walking stick. I really like the top knob. Another success from Craig and the guys at A&A! I hope your Dad enjoys this unique gift.
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks great! I've actually been thinking about something similar recently, this gave me some good ideas.
Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Sun 16 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well i hope he is :O)

Cool Alex - please post it when its done .

Best regards

Klaus

Memento Mori
Linda Lewis

PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i also think soo.. Big Grin
walking canes
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to mess with a man who had a cane like that one. Eek!
J Anstey

PostPosted: Mon 17 Aug, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool!

How will he go with the laws carrying such a weapon/cane? I am sure I wouldn't be allowed in Australia?

I like it very much

Cheers

Jason
Klaus Gimm

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there

Regarding the law in Australia of course i cant give a comment.

In Germany i am paraphrasing to the best of my understanding "every item used to lower the defensive ability of a human beeing is concidered a weapon". So first of all yes that is a weapon.

How ever its a legal weapon. Now German law does not provide "leagl weapons" directly, it just states what illegal weapons are. "knives with blades longer then 12.5 cm , a double edged blade, guns, objects pretending to be other items (swordcane), etc". The walking stick is not in that list of forbidden objects as far as i know. Further more its not a "hidden" weapon. As it has exactly that features that you can actually see. A wooden shaft, a meatal head and a rubber duck foot.

Then there is a difference on how you carry things. For example a normal kitchen knife is longer then 12.5 cm and as such an illegal weapon. But its legal to have it in your house or even carry it home from the store you just bought it. Thats called "transport" . The other variant is "carrying" means you have that same knife in your belt ready to yank it out and poke it into someones eye. Having the cane over your shoulder ready to swing it would most likely be "carrying" while using it as what it is intendet to be - a cane - it would be transport.

Using it in a self defense situation would most likely be a grey area in any case as it can be used as a weapon, but i guess most people will rather live and have a lawsuit then be dead and found innocent.

In summary : Its best to never -get - into a situation where this might be an issue at all. So the maxim holds true :

to evade is better then to run - to run is better then to deescalade - to deescalade is better then to fight - to fight is better then to die. (not my words- they are from a book but i cant remember the title)

But you raise a very valid point - before buying anything like this or in gernal objects that can be used as weapons one is well adviced to actually read up on the current laws for your country.

Regards

Klaus

Note: this is not meant as legal advice in any way

Memento Mori
J Anstey

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with all of your well spoken comments,

Many thanks, and it's a great present for your Dad!

Cheers

Jason

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A&A Custom Walking Cane aka "The Gentlemans Cane"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic