Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Keeping " myArmoury " solvent ! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Keeping "myArmoury" solvent         Reply with quote

Daniel Sullivan wrote:
Wish to thank Jean for beating the drum and calling us to muster. Our local Public Television people could certainly use someone like him..

As mentioned in another post, it is like buying a raffle ticket. On the other hand, If Jean is annoying you, ante up with a few bucks and he will go away....well......at least until the next time!

Regards,
Dan

Hey! I " resemble that " ( spelling error deliberate. Razz )

I take a night " OFF " and don't " BUMP " and see what happens ....... Eek! Razz Laughing Out Loud Cool ( Emoticon overdose ! ).

And up to $1910: Not far from $2000 which is sort of a " resistance point " as they say in the " Stockmarket " Wink .

Glad other people are posting " funny " and meaningful and appreciative comments about how good this place is and how it's a good thing to help it continue.

As well, if my little " encouragement " with the spear head is making this more fun and motivating infrequent posters but frequent lurkers to donate or enhance their memberships then I'm very pleased it seems to be working.

Obviously I want to raise funds but I will be happy and curious to read who ends up winning the spear head. Big Grin Cool

I've said it before but Michael's spear head based on the one I have are the best, most robust, high quality materials and workmanship spears I have ever seen: The kind a " warrior " would have been proud to own and relied on in a fight or battle.

By the way the only " myArmoury " donator who can't win this spear is me. Wink Laughing Out Loud ( That would be counterproductive if I ended up being the lucky winner, but then that's why I bought one for myself and I couldn't be happier with it. Big Grin ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Notice the subtle glow around around my profile...could that be...yes, I'm now in the process of becoming an upgraded member!

For the web would loose half of its appeal without this website...well worth it!

Best,

J
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Notice the subtle glow around around my profile...could that be...yes, I'm now in the process of becoming an upgraded member!

For the web would loose half of its appeal without this website...well worth it!

Best,

J

Yes, I think I can see a halo around you like in old period " illuminations " of the Saints ..... Wink Big Grin Cool

I also like your sense of humour, and the upgrade in membership is very much appreciated. Cool

Julien M

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cheers Jean, Pleasure is all mine Happy

Julien 2.0
Christian P.

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello All!

This is my first post even if I have been lurking around for many years. Did not upgraded my account because of Paypal. Have been assimilated for a custom Pugio purchase (roman dagger). Time for payback. I learn a lot on these pages. it is like a small University. Please continue the good work. Big Grin
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New and improved " BUMP ". Wink We are getting there but it still needs the efforts of more people to do just their " little bit ": Lots of little bits add up. Big Grin . Thanks to all those who have already donated or upgraded their memberships. Cool

Attachment: 63.47 KB
Donation09gas01 copy.jpg
Keep filling the " myarmoury " gas tank.

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 23 Aug, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey I sent $20 hope it got through.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 24 Aug, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drip drip drip drip $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10: A little drop at a time the " myArmoury " gas tank ( money for the hosting costs ) is slowly adding up ...... getting closer to $2000 but remember time is getting shorter before the end of the Fund drive and the target amount is close to being the minimum needed to pay the out of pocket costs of running the site.

The participation so far has been not too bad but the number of daily donators is about 2 to 4 per day with some days being zero. I'm fairly sure that many people have donated more than $10 and a few quite a bit more which has helped with the total raised being very good so far but again a small $10 by many more people would make attaining the objective a lot easier than counting on a few generous donors.

If this site is important to you in that you get weekly or even daily pleasure from what you can learn here, and you can afford a donation at this time it's something you would be doing for yourself as you would miss the place.

Another useful thing to consider is that this is also a good place to find or sell your collectables ( swords, armour, kit etc ... ) on the Marketplace Forum: I know that if I want to buy something or sell something on the secondary market I feel a lot more confident when doing so with people I know as opposed to total strangers ...... So, this site is also valuable to the longtime collector as being part of a community makes it a lot easier to find a buyer or a seller.

The members of the Makers and Industry Professionals Forum are also people with a real interest in keeping this place
" Solvent ". Sure one can contribute because one is a nice guy or girl and for all the good and generous reasons, but there are many " good " self-interested reasons to also contribute.

Attachment: 66.46 KB
Donation09gas02 copy.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, a special thanks to those who have contributed " BIG "amounts like $100, very much appreciated. Big Grin Cool ( You know who you are. Wink Cool ).
Maurizio D'Angelo

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Drip drip drip drip $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10: A little drop at a time the " myArmoury " gas tank ( money for the hosting costs ) is slowly adding up.

Jean, your imagination has no limits. My compliments. Happy
I know from reliable sources that the price of oil will tend to increase within a short time.
I advise everyone to rush to fill the "myArmoury" gas tank, now ... before it's too late.

Jean, a small mistake, the shoes are not historical ... Cool Laughing Out Loud Razz

One other thing, Jean, move the pump inside the tank. We have already lost $ 40. Laughing Out Loud
but, fortunately I'm here with my cup. Laughing Out Loud
ciao
Maurizio

Attachment: 150.15 KB
Donation09gas02 copy copia.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 25 Aug, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All that wasted gas was starting to be a problem Maurizio and nice " catch " with the cup. Razz Cool

Transfered the drops to the tank. Wink And fixed the problem. Laughing Out Loud

Up over the $2000 mark. Cool

Attachment: 66.25 KB
Donation09gas03 copy.jpg

Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Wed 26 Aug, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please note the accuracy of Jean, added a new tank just over $ 2,000 Wink
Maurizio
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good news / bad news:

A) Good news we are getting closer to the objective of $2700 and are at $2100 at this writing.
B) Bad news or at least less good news, we seem to have a blockage in donations ..... notice that big bulge in the gas " tube " or whatever one calls it. Confused Question Razz

This could be because the donations are stuck behind an obstruction ..... a whole bunch of donations getting in each other's way or somebody has made a " BIG " donation that hasn't gotten to the nozzle yet. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud

So what is it: A blockage or a whole bunch of donations ? I don't know really but " YOU " can make it good news if a bunch
of you guys decide to donate !

Well, doing my best to tease you guys into donating. Razz Big Grin

Attachment: 59.09 KB
Donation09gas04 copy.jpg

Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If Jean, does not consider this an intrusion, into his excellent work, here, I urge, to restore the normal flow of donations.
If they explode all at once, I don't have several small cups for harvest. Laughing Out Loud
Give and you shall receive ...
If you do not donate, you will receive the same.
But if you donate, you'll be happier to take the information from here. Happy
Maurizio
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
If Jean, does not consider this an intrusion, into his excellent work, here, I urge, to restore the normal flow of donations.
If they explode all at once, I don't have several small cups for harvest. Laughing Out Loud
Give and you shall receive ...
If you do not donate, you will receive the same.
But if you donate, you'll be happier to take the information from here. Happy
Maurizio

No intrusion at all as your comments are welcome and appreciated. Big Grin Cool

So the " Bulge " turned into a large contribution. Big Grin Cool . Now will all the other little " Bulges " ( Sort of cute aren't they Wink Razz )
turn into a rush of small contributions. Question Wink Big Grin

Attachment: 63.71 KB
Donation09gas05 copy.jpg

Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to make a formal complaint and request for compensation. Eek!
Spending several hours a day, between this forum and research of information and books. Cool
I'm neglecting a lot of my work. Surprised
Obviously I'm kidding. Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Razz
This site among other things, is like a decoy, one can not do without.
Let us ensure that it remains so, together, this is possible.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maurizio D'Angelo wrote:
I want to make a formal complaint and request for compensation. Eek!
Spending several hours a day, between this forum and research of information and books. Cool
I'm neglecting a lot of my work. Surprised
Obviously I'm kidding. Big Grin Laughing Out Loud Razz
This site among other things, is like a decoy, one can not do without.
Let us ensure that it remains so, together, this is possible.

Well Maurizio maybe in English a " decoy " is not the word you where looking for but I'm guessing you mean something like a " lure " which is like something " shiny " that attracts the eye and pulls one in to something worth looking into. Wink Big Grin Cool

" DECOY " in English is more like a wooden duck to attract other ducks close to the hunter's shotgun: I don't think we want to blow away " myArmoury " readers except in the good way of giving them interesting and valuable content.

Just doing my guessing at your thinking in Italian, your writing in English with probably the help of a translation program, and my passing it through French as French expressions literally translated into English would also have some similarities in ambiguous meaning i.e. expressions that make sense in one language being odd if literally translated into another language.

I think your intent is to say that " myArmoury " is so pleasurable and useful to you that it's very hard to resist the temptation to visit and pass a lot of time here. Wink Big Grin

Oh, and Maurizio, thanks for the help in " bumping " up this Topic. Cool

To get back to the Topic folks: Remember that we are getting closer but there is still a way to go to get to the objective and no more than two weeks to do it in. There is a nice prize to win ( Go to this Topic thread for details about the prize if you haven't seen it also: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=17330 ) .

The " Economy sucks " so raising funds is expectedly harder to do this year and harder for people to be able to afford to give, so I'm not too surprised that donations are harder to get.

We have received a few larger than average contributions ( Some $50 and $100 donations ) that have kept things going forward but a lot of small $10 contributions would spread the costs over more people and not be too painful to the pocket book unless one is scraping by for every dollar for essentials.

Understandable also is that we all get so many worthy causes all asking for money that we can't contribute to all of them or risk going broke ourselves, but if you spend a lot of time here and wish to support it's operation because it fills an important place in your life then please contribute what you can afford.

Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

" DECOY " in English is more like a wooden duck to attract other ducks close to the hunter's shotgun: I don't think we want to blow away " myArmoury " readers except in the good way of giving them interesting and valuable content.

Just doing my guessing at your thinking in Italian, your writing in English with probably the help of a translation program, and my passing it through French as French expressions literally translated into English would also have some similarities in ambiguous meaning i.e. expressions that make sense in one language being odd if literally translated into another language.

I think your intent is to say that " myArmoury " is so pleasurable and useful to you that it's very hard to resist the temptation to visit and pass a lot of time here. Wink Big Grin

Oh, and Maurizio, thanks for the help in " bumping " up this Topic. Cool

Well said, Jean.
You are my mentor, here.Wink
Is exactly the meaning that you gave.
When I realized what I wrote, my laugh was great. Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quick and cheap " BUMP " and if " Decoys " might work I'll work on them .......

DECOY ......$10 DECOY ..... $10 DECOY ........ $10 DECOY ........ $10 DECOY ........ $10 DECOY ......... $10 DECOY ....... DECOY ........ $10 DECOY ....... $10 D O N A T I O N S ...... $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10$10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 $10 .................. Wink Wink Laughing Out Loud

Lets get a few real donations to land on the " myArmoury pond ". Wink

Only $25 to get to $2200 and to be $500 away from the objective.

Maurizio D'Angelo

PostPosted: Mon 31 Aug, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Quick and cheap " BUMP " and if " Decoys " might work I'll work on them .......
DECOY ......$10 DECOY ..... $10 DECOY Wink Wink Laughing Out Loud
Lets get a few real donations to land on the " myArmoury pond ". Wink

This is a clear example of how languages evolve.
In English, now, "Decoy", also means "Attraction". Attraction=myArmoury Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud
Ciao
Maurizio

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Keeping " myArmoury " solvent !
Page 4 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: