Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on sword useage... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Question on sword useage...         Reply with quote

I think Joachim might be able to answer this one, but for those who have any idea, how were XIIIa's used? They have this annoying tendency to pre-date all the widely-studied fight manuals...

They're really cool swords, their cutting ability is great, from what I've heard... but how do you use one? What if you encountered someone else with one? What if you encountered someone with a spear and shield?

Just wondering, because it's a question that's been bugging me for some time...

Thanks in advance!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Shawn Mulock

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on sword useage...         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
I think Joachim might be able to answer this one, but for those who have any idea, how were XIIIa's used? They have this annoying tendency to pre-date all the widely-studied fight manuals...

They're really cool swords, their cutting ability is great, from what I've heard... but how do you use one? What if you encountered someone else with one? What if you encountered someone with a spear and shield?

Thanks in advance!

I never knew that the Type XIIIs predated all available fechtbuchs... Confused

I would have to postulate that the indepth, fast and deadly methods used for fighting with a longsword were not developed in a vacuum. If anything one could look to the longsword stuff for inspiration regarding the greatswords. Think the earlier & simpler stuff and you will be on the right track, I think.

"It is not what you have, but what you have done".
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a good question and I think there are several arguments, however I tend to see the logic of Oakeshott. He explained it as a weapon that delivered a great slashing blow. Type XIIIa's had really long handles (6-8") capable of being used with one or two hands. They may seem large and bulky but the are quite manageable, this partly due to their blade length which could range anywhere from 32-40". Type XIII swords dont have good points and their edges tend to run parallel, great for slashing. I have attached photos of two type XIII swords, one is a XIIIa and the other is a XIIIb. Notice the size difference of the handles. Both functions are simlar but the XIIIa is much easier to handle.

That however is just one viewpoint, there are probably several that are credible. As you say, not much in the way of script is available.

Hope this helps. Don

Attachment: 42.41 KB
103_0326.jpg

Attachment: 67.1 KB
103_0330.jpg

Attachment: 72.17 KB
103_0331.jpg

Attachment: 57.5 KB
103_0328.jpg

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the short answer is that no one really knows. Oakeshott's observations are very valid and make sense, but even he is speculating.

Personally, I've always gone with the approach that Shawn said, which is that the techniques of later longsword masters didn't just spontaneously appear in a vacuum. I think it's reasonable to say that longsword usage from the 13th century wouldn't be drastically different from the manuals of the 14th, 15th and 16th century. In fact, even if the techniques did evolve independantly without any influence, the weapon isn't really very different from other longswords. You'd simply have more cutting than thrusting, but that doesn't change the basic principles. After all, when comparing Japanese long sword techniques to European longsword, you'll find more similarities than differences, and that's clearly a different weapon, and clearly two completely isolated styles.
Matt Shields

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The late 14th century manual "Goliath" depicts Greatsword usage, (though the swords seem much larger than Oakeshotts description of XIIIa's) and it seems a bit differen't from Longsword. But I remember reading somewhere that it was a Lichentauer commentary, but I'm not sure.

Here it is on the ARMA website.
http://www.thearma.org/Manuals/Goliath/Goliath.htm
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on sword useage...         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Actually the answer is really simple. I take it from the quote in your signature, that you study Lichtenauer? If so, begin there.

The way they we classify weapons in the 21st century is not the way they were classified back then; imagine if you will being in a situation similar to that depicted in Timeline. If you were to ask someone how you would use an Oakeshott Type XIIIa, Type XVI, etc, they would probably look at you and say, "What's an Oakeshott?". Back then, a sword was a sword.
Another point to consider is that although the earliest manuals/treatises/fechtbuchs that we have date to around the late 14th century, the techniques and knowledge therein didn't exist in a vaccuum. That may have been the first time they were written down, or the first time they were written down in that format, but they were well in place and practiced before then.
One ting that has really helped me in my studies if focusing not so much on the how, when and where of a technique, but the why; in other words, by focusing more on why a paticular technique works, and why you would use it in that situation. By taking a conceptual approach, it is easier to adapt techniques to yourself; your fighting style, weapon, strengths and weaknesses. If you look at the history of masters like Fiore and Lichtenauer, you find that even they took the same approach. They spent many years travelling and learning form different masters and teachers, and when the time came for them to finally put into writing what they learned and wished to teach, they put down those techniques, principles and concepts that worked for them over the years.
Another way to look at it is to look at the similarities in the use of the longsword and the katana; two apparently different weapons from two different cultures that were essentially isolated from one another, and yet there are these similarities that are not easy to ignore. Why is that? I think it is because when you look at them from a conceptual perspective, you see that there are these basic, fundamental and underlying priniciples that exist not only within those particluar schools, but also within any martial art, and once you learn and understand them it becomes relatively simple to adapt the techniques to your unique circumstances.
Take for example this passage from Mushashi:
Quote:
When you are even with an opponent, it is essential to keep thinking of stabbing him in the face with the tip of your sword in the intervals between the opponent's sword blows and your own sword blows. When you have the intention of stabbing your opponent in the face, he will try to get both his face and his body out of the way. When you can get your opponent to shrink away, there are various advantages of which you can avail yourself to win. You should work this out thoroughly.
In the midst of battle, as soon as an opponent tries to get out of the way, you have already won. Therefore, it is imperative not to forget about the tactic of "stabbing the face." This should be cultivated in the course of practicing martial arts

Sounds a lot like the concept of initiative in Lichtenauer, right? Make your opponent react to you, rather than the other way around? You see the same principle in rapier fencing, when dealing with stezzo tempo defenses; the parry and counterattack that occurs simultaneously. When executed properly, the adavantages of your opponents attack are taken away and now they have a choice: either to take the hit or to defend against it. In other words, now they must react to you Big Grin
I truly hope this helps Big Grin

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Question on sword useage...         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:

Actually the answer is really simple. I take it from the quote in your signature, that you study Lichtenauer? If so, begin there.

The way they we classify weapons in the 21st century is not the way they were classified back then; imagine if you will being in a situation similar to that depicted in Timeline. If you were to ask someone how you would use an Oakeshott Type XIIIa, Type XVI, etc, they would probably look at you and say, "What's an Oakeshott?". Back then, a sword was a sword.

True enough, however, I made the distinction because swords of the XIII type are nearly the exact opposite of the type of swords optimized for the Liechtenauer tradition- XVII's, XV's, and XVIIIb's-- all of which are largely thrust-oriented.

Quote:

One thing that has really helped me in my studies if focusing not so much on the how, when and where of a technique, but the why; in other words, by focusing more on why a paticular technique works, and why you would use it in that situation. By taking a conceptual approach, it is easier to adapt techniques to yourself; your fighting style, weapon, strengths and weaknesses. If you look at the history of masters like Fiore and Lichtenauer, you find that even they took the same approach. They spent many years travelling and learning form different masters and teachers, and when the time came for them to finally put into writing what they learned and wished to teach, they put down those techniques, principles and concepts that worked for them over the years.

You make an excellent point here. I'll be sure to try that perception.

Quote:

Another way to look at it is to look at the similarities in the use of the longsword and the katana; two apparently different weapons from two different cultures that were essentially isolated from one another, and yet there are these similarities that are not easy to ignore. Why is that? I think it is because when you look at them from a conceptual perspective, you see that there are these basic, fundamental and underlying priniciples that exist not only within those particluar schools, but also within any martial art, and once you learn and understand them it becomes relatively simple to adapt the techniques to your unique circumstances.

Also an excellent point.

Quote:

Sounds a lot like the concept of initiative in Liechtenauer, right? Make your opponent react to you, rather than the other way around? You see the same principle in rapier fencing, when dealing with stezzo tempo defenses; the parry and counterattack that occurs simultaneously. When executed properly, the adavantages of your opponents attack are taken away and now they have a choice: either to take the hit or to defend against it. In other words, now they must react to you Big Grin
I truly hope this helps Big Grin

Helps quite a bit, actually. Very interesting similarity you point out.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Allen W

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah, going by Christian Tobler's translation of Leichtenauer in Secrets of medieval Swordsmanship I don't think a pointy long sword is implied any more than a broad tipped one. The 14th century date for his work suggests to me that they were more likely inspired by broader tipped war swords but were applied easily to the pointier long swords and as these became dominant in the 15th cent. and so became the main medium in which his tradition was practiced.
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jun, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Wagner has been doing quite a bit of work with the Harlien manuscript, and he has come to the conclusion (AFAIK)that the manual is on the broad bladed two handed sword, ie the big XX, XIIa and XIIIa swords. Happy
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When it comes to the development of the Greatsword, I lean towards the theory that they where originaly sadle swords, intended for calvalry use. (You want a long, heavy sword to wack peasants over the head with. ) This was then adopted for dueling.

As you mention, we dont have any manuals to help us out, so all we can do is guess, or get hold of a couple of them and try.
We had some really horrible 2,5kg longswords in our club back in the days, I guess they would handle something like a greatsword.
When it comes to their use in a one on one fight, (I figure) They would probably move their blades more, as the "reaction time" of the weapon is longer.
Also, they would be aiming for impact hits, unlike the Katana, wich aims for a slicing draw cut, and thus employs a different fighting style (it also has a different grip, and is much, much lighter...)
Along the same lines, I figure that they would grapple less than later longsword skooolz, as the weapons are less nimble in a clinch.

To sum it up, i am imagining a fighting style that focuses on series of sweeping cuts from a relatively long range, with emphasis on evasive footwork and deflections.

Liberi retains some of this fluidity, at least. I have not been instructed in any of the other longsword schools Sad

According to my experience with longswords vs others:
If you encountered a guy with a shield and sword, he would most likely kill you, unless you are armoured, in wich case you might have a chance. If he is armoured as well, you are in for a loooong fight, as you will have problems hiting him, and he will have a hard time hurting you...
If you face a (lone) guy with a shield and spear, you will most likely kill him. (He will most likely know this, and by cunning feats of magick transform himself into a guy with a sword and shield....)

Yours
Elling
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My practical study of the use of the sword is limited, but having handeled originals of various types, it is possible to draw some conclusions from what is implied in their design.

As have been said previously in this thread, I think our best chance to understand the use of these swords is to go backwards from later manuals.
Most or all of the cutting techniques presented would be possible with a type XIIa or XIIIa sword of war.
The biggest difference would be the use of half sword techniques.

It is my strong impression that you would *not* use a thin and broad cutting blade in half sword techniques. In drawings in the manuals it is very rare indeed to find broad blades used in half-sword fencing.
The anatomy of the blade and the human hand makes gripping a wide sharp blade (in a powrerful grip) very uncomfortable. If the blade is narrow and pretty thick (some 22mm by 5 mm a third in from the point), this changes completely the possible use of the sword. It is still sharp, but not wide enough to really pose a danger of cutting your hand.
This difference is not so evident when you train with blunt steel swords. Realistic sharp swords will make quite another impression.

XIIa and XIIa swords, I think, could be used in most other techniques seen in the manuals as long as they make sense on a battlefield. Here is another difference between the manuals and how we must imagine the use of the war swords: the longsword was (partly) a duelling weapon, the war sword was, as the name implies, made for war.
In a duel you will focus on one sinlge opponent. In a battle time and opportunity is even more crucial, I imagine. The fact that many are invloved in fighting simultanously will change the perspective of the use of the sword. This ought to be our guide in trying to understand how these swords were used.
Economy in movement and an emphasis on timing and cutting technique.
If you bungle your attack, youŽd not only have one irritated opponent to worry about but also all his angry friends standing by his side...Not a pretty picture.

A note: the heft and handling of these swords can be surprisingly agile. Even if they are large, they are still relatively quick and agile weapons. (Sometimes more agile than contemporary single hand swords). Size and heft is designed so that a single blow will make a difference for the outcome of the fight if placed with precision and force.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very interesting thought about half-swording and big cutting swords. It does fit in with the recommended tactics of half-swording, where the emphasis is on thrusts rather than cuts - and hence better suited to a much pointier sword.

The battlefield usage is very important, I agree. Di Grassi recommends that when fighting multiple opponents, that you rely upon cutting, and favor thrusts only when facing a single enemy. This makes some sense, as a cut threatens (or can hurt!) more than one target in its path; also a cut can be reversed and still present a threat. A thrust only threatens one target, and must be recovered from to attack again. So, armour permitting, cutting might predominate in a battlefield.
Robert Zamoida

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jun, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
It is my strong impression that you would *not* use a thin and broad cutting blade in half sword techniques. In drawings in the manuals it is very rare indeed to find broad blades used in half-sword fencing.
The anatomy of the blade and the human hand makes gripping a wide sharp blade (in a powrerful grip) very uncomfortable. If the blade is narrow and pretty thick (some 22mm by 5 mm a third in from the point), this changes completely the possible use of the sword. It is still sharp, but not wide enough to really pose a danger of cutting your hand.
This difference is not so evident when you train with blunt steel swords. Realistic sharp swords will make quite another impression.

Good point. I can definitely see this in a single combat situation, especially if the combatants are not wearing gloves; although, if you had to do it, I guess a cut hand is better than the alternative. In a battle though, I wonder if the wearing of gloves or gauntlets would provide some protection for the hands.

Peter Johnsson wrote:
XIIa and XIIa swords, I think, could be used in most other techniques seen in the manuals as long as they make sense on a battlefield. Here is another difference between the manuals and how we must imagine the use of the war swords: the longsword was (partly) a duelling weapon, the war sword was, as the name implies, made for war.
In a duel you will focus on one sinlge opponent. In a battle time and opportunity is even more crucial, I imagine. The fact that many are invloved in fighting simultanously will change the perspective of the use of the sword. This ought to be our guide in trying to understand how these swords were used.
Economy in movement and an emphasis on timing and cutting technique.
If you bungle your attack, youŽd not only have one irritated opponent to worry about but also all his angry friends standing by his side...Not a pretty picture.

Another good point, and I completely agree. Unlike later periods, when the swords depicted in manuals would be used primarily in duels against sinlge opponents, the swords from the medieval period would be used not only against single opponents but also on the battlefield. This is even borne out in the texts; the target audience for works like Fiore and Lichtenauer were the knights and soldiers of the various armies, written by the men who trained them. The subject matter covered not only singe combat situations in normal everyday life but also both unarmed and armed combat for the battlefield. Although we only have the texts to work with, I think that the training methods would have had a more conceptual approach, to ease the transition between those techniques appropriate to single combat and those appropriate to the battlefield.

Elling Polden wrote:
Also, they would be aiming for impact hits, unlike the Katana, wich aims for a slicing draw cut, and thus employs a different fighting style (it also has a different grip, and is much, much lighter...)

You'd be surprised at the similarities in the styles Happy . I have to disagree with about the wieght difference, though; when comparing the longswords that I've handled, mostly from Angus Trim but a couple from Arms and Armour to the katanas that I own I get the impression that a katana actually weighs a little more than a longsword, although if you compare the actual measurements they're probably pretty equal Happy

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Based on my reenactment fighting experience, a longswordman on a battlefield is in trouble. Since he has neither the protection of a shield or the range of a polearm, he will be rushed and killed by shield-carrying foes (this happens a lot, and would probably be the same in real life...), and killed by attacks of oportunity from polearms.

He is, however, less in the shit than a guy with a singlehanded sword and no shield. (but more so than a sword/buckler, but this advantage is probably mostly gamey, as parrying a polearm blow with Sword&Buckler will not be plesant at all.)

The longsword (or warsword) is better than the single handed sword at both offence and defence, but it can not do both at once. That is, a longswordman under pressure can only defend himself, or, on the offence, only attack.
A shield carrier can protect himself while attacking, and will thus overrun the poor sod.

But a longsword/warsword would be a preferable backup to your primary weapon. (In this period (14th/15th century) probably a polearm or spear.)

I belive there are a number of depictions of fighting scenes from the 13th and 14th century where kinghts in single combat have slung their shields on their backs, and are grasping their swords with both hands, probably to have chance of actually hurt eachother...

Elling Polden wrote:

You'd be surprised at the similarities in the styles Happy . I have to disagree with about the wieght difference, though; when comparing the longswords that I've handled, mostly from Angus Trim but a couple from Arms and Armour to the katanas that I own I get the impression that a katana actually weighs a little more than a longsword, although if you compare the actual measurements they're probably pretty equal Happy[/quote]

My Lutel longsword weighs about 1,6 kg, wich is a bit heavy, but not very. But the lutels are 15th century longswords. The swords we are talking about are the early, broad bladed type XIII's.
The katana and longsword are held differently, the hits they aim for are different, and longsword had been out of use for 200 years by the time europeans and japanese had anything to do with each other.
But, there are only so many ways to hit someone with a sharp metal stick. Wink

Yours
Elling
Gary Venable

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
The katana and longsword are held differently, the hits they aim for are different, and longsword had been out of use for 200 years by the time europeans and japanese had anything to do with each other.

The first european traders arrived in Japan in 1542. I think it would be hard to argue that the Longsword had been out of use since 1342. In fact the longsword was used for quite some time after the the mid 16th century.

Gary
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
Based on my reenactment fighting experience, a longswordman on a battlefield is in trouble. Since he has neither the protection of a shield or the range of a polearm, he will be rushed and killed by shield-carrying foes (this happens a lot, and would probably be the same in real life...), and killed by attacks of oportunity from polearms.

But, there are only so many ways to hit someone with a sharp metal stick. ;)

How much does reenactment practice resemble a rugby scrum? When a couple of swordsmen gang up on another, do they commonly push him to the ground? I have always wondered about the limitations imposed on medieval foot tactics by the lack of proper footwear. I find it hard to believe that men could fight reliably wearing the sort of shoes depicted in medieval art. I also recall multiple references to poor ground conditions as seriously affecting some major battles during the plate armor era. Do modern reenactors "cheat" by wearing proper foot gear, or do they use "period" footwear and suffer through the same bad footing that must have plagued combatants 500 years ago? It would seem to be nearly impossible to do anything useful with a sword of any size or shape while trying to stand up after being forced to the ground, surrounded by enemies.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:

He is, however, less in the shit than a guy with a singlehanded sword and no shield. (but more so than a sword/buckler, but this advantage is probably mostly gamey, as parrying a polearm blow with Sword&Buckler will not be plesant at all.)

The longsword (or warsword) is better than the single handed sword at both offence and defence, but it can not do both at once. That is, a longswordman under pressure can only defend himself, or, on the offence, only attack.
A shield carrier can protect himself while attacking, and will thus overrun the poor sod.

But a longsword/warsword would be a preferable backup to your primary weapon. (In this period (14th/15th century) probably a polearm or spear.)

I belive there are a number of depictions of fighting scenes from the 13th and 14th century where kinghts in single combat have slung their shields on their backs, and are grasping their swords with both hands, probably to have chance of actually hurt eachother...

My Lutel longsword weighs about 1,6 kg, wich is a bit heavy, but not very. But the lutels are 15th century longswords. The swords we are talking about are the early, broad bladed type XIII's.
But, there are only so many ways to hit someone with a sharp metal stick. Wink

Yours
Elling

Hi Elling,

I am not certain that one can easily rank the sword and shield combinations in winning and loosing categories. The experience, attitude and opportunity could very often be more important factors, in my opinion, than simply the type of weapon one carries. All else being equal, I still have hard time believing that a long swordman is destined (10 times out of 10) to a defeat by an opponent with a single-handed sword and a shield.

I have to say that I have no melee reenactment experience, so my opinions are just that.

Another point I disagree with is your statement that one only attacks or only defends with the long sword. The whole point of Liechtenauer is not to do that. Robert Zamoida elaborated on the philosophy in a previous post. The master strikes are so called mostly because they give you the advantage to defend while attacking and attack while defending. Someone who only defends, regardless of the type of weapon used, is sooner or later going to lose.

In other words making things black and white and describing weapons as "this is clearly better than that" could be dangerous and misinformative.

I do not mean to imply that you statements are wrong, just that, in my opinion, they cannot possibly apply to every individual and situation.

Yours,
Alexi
Matt Shields

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
To sum it up, i am imagining a fighting style [for greatswords] that focuses on series of sweeping cuts from a relatively long range, with emphasis on evasive footwork and deflections.

I've always envisioned that as well, and it seems that is what is depicted in Goliath.

Alexi Goranov wrote:
The whole point of Liechtenauer is not to do that. Robert Zamoida elaborated on the philosophy in a previous post. The master strikes are so called mostly because they give you the advantage to defend while attacking and attack while defending.

Yes, but it's too bad that the mastercuts don't work against shields. Maybe a couple of them could be adapted for combating Sword and Buckler, but not well.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe there is a problem when extrapolating from re-enactment or other modern simulations to historical battle conditions. This shows up when evaluating a longsword vs. sword+shield, or longsword vs. spear.

The issue is armor. The longsword is a weapon of the high and late Middle Ages, and most longsword users were of the upper classes - who habitually wore armor on the battlefield. The effectiveness of this armor (full mail, transitional, or plate) is not reflected in most simulations. Several threads on a couple of forums have discussed the worth of armor, and it seems pretty clear that these types of armor were not easily pierced by a single-hand sword or a simple spear. Maces, big swords, and axes were better, and heavy polearms like the halberd were best at attacking such armor.

As far as I can tell, most simulations assume that a good, clean blow with a single-hand sword or thrust from a spear is disabling - when they probably weren't effective against well-armored foes. That is one of the factors that allows the use of a longsword - you don't rely on the shield so much because most blows that hit you are not effective. (Indeed, if you look at the relationship between the amount of armor and the shield size from about 1100 to 1400, there is a direct, inverse relationship - as armor improves, shields shrink.) Most simulations assume a shield will block any blow, and that armor does not. Against really powerful weapons like the halberd, probably neither worked that well. Certainly, a wooden shield wouldn't be that much better than a curved steel plate.

This assumption automaticaly puts the armor-wearing types at a disadvantage that is not historically correct.

-------------------
addendum: Sword and buckler is worth thinking about, because it seems to have been primarily a civilian defense. This combination shows up a lot in civilian discussion; and it shows up as a secondary weapon system (I refer to the combination of sword and buckler, not just the sword alone) in men whose primary weapon requires two hands - i.e. archers. It is not terribly well suited to fighting in armored conditions, I suspect. For example, one of the basic assumptions of I.33 seems to be - if your foe doesn't guard his arm with his buckler, cut if off. This is fine, but an arm in a good steel vambrace is not going to be cut off by a quick slash from a single-hand sword.
Robert Zamoida

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
But, there are only so many ways to hit someone with a sharp metal stick.

LOL, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this, although I will agree with you on the last point. Happy

Rob Zamoida

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question on sword useage...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: