Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with hauberk Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ivan Cac

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Help with hauberk         Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what those things are called how they are constructed.

Thank you.

Ivan
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Generally speaking, a hauberk is a shirt-like garment of maille (you know, the small circles of wire riveted together) with a bit of a split skirt to it to protect the upper legs and pelvic region. Here's an article on Norse brynja, which is a similar type of armor: http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manu...g_mail.htm

Or at least, I think that's what a hauberk is. I've also heard it in reference to more complex suits of maille, so I could be off-base...
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks something like this:

There are several methods of construction. Usually, there are two main methods: Fully riveted and rivet and punch.

A fully riveted hauberk consists of iron wire drawn into an O shape, with a slight overlap. This overlap (or the whole ring in some cases) is flattened. The overlap (now flat) is pierced with a hole for the rivet. In the other method, only every other row of rings will have a rivet, and the rest will be flat and washer-like. These have been punched from a sheet of iron.

Once a large number is amassed (I think maille manufacturers in period bought them pre made in most occasions), construction begins. The first step is taking a single, open ring and placing four closed (riveted or punched) rings. It would look like this:

This process is repeated throughout most of the garment. Special ring arrangements enable the sleeves to be constructed (others will know better than I for those details). Most modern shirts of maille are t-shirt like tubes, but many period examples (not all) are tailored, so that they loosen in the center of the upper back and tighten around the waist.

Once the process is competed, I've heard many shirts are given a slight harden by throwing them into a fire, then pulling them out and letting it cool.

If you email Eric through his website:
http://www.erikds.com/

You can ask him for a free copy of the first Journal of his society. It contains many interesting secrets into maille making.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kyle Kurth

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Go to www.theringlord.com/forum for information on how to make them. Also, you can go to http://www.mailleartisans.org/ which has guides and also pictures. One more site you can go to is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/fa...r/mail.htm which is more in depth about it and how it was made historically.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with hauberk
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic