Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Film 1066 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: The Film 1066         Reply with quote

I am finishing up this 2 part, 2 and a half hour film called "1066". Has anyone else here seen it, and what do you think?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Film 1066         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
I am finishing up this 2 part, 2 and a half hour film called "1066". Has anyone else here seen it, and what do you think?

M.

Never heard of it ere now. Where can one see it?
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can get it on DVD; if you're in the UK, check here: http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/8263622/1066-T...oduct.html

It's narrated by Ian Holms, who did a good job on it.

M.

EDIT: Apparently that Browser game posted up here a few days ago is the game related to this movie.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

out already? i knew they were making it and saw some stuff but man how time fly's.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the 1066 he is talking about is just a documentary. The feature film people were talking about last year has not came out yet:

The 2010 feature film called 1066 is here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1018103/

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I think the 1066 he is talking about is just a documentary. The feature film people were talking about last year has not came out yet:

I was looking at the extensive cast list for this film - no one is listed as playing Duke William! There is a character called the Saracen woman. I wonder what she is doing that far north? This is before the 1st Crusade, so they can't use that as a plot device. (I guess a Norman from Southern Italy could have brought her back with him)

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Fri 26 Jun, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at the cast list for the movie, I wonder if the feature film will be about the "other" 1066 - the battle in the north against Hardrada's landing?
Still hammering away
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Fri 26 Jun, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the one I'm talking about, "The Battle for Middle Earth", actually has 3 battles; Fulford against Hadrada, Stamford Bridge against Hadrada, and Hastings against William.

You do not see much of Hadrada, Harold, or William, however.

M.

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:

None of the cast or crew names looked familiar to me, but it still looks pretty cool! Looks like they've casted every role except Duke William, who I would guess be the lead role. Any chance of this film making it to the States? If not, no big deal. I'll just add it to my ever-growing list of things I need to see/do in England!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Lester is the only one I recognized. The poster looks good. Hopefully it will make it across the water.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Johan Örn

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The unfamiliar cast makes this movie even more exciting imo. Especially in "historical" films I personally prefer to see new actors I haven't seen in any previous film, since it adds to the whole realism of the story.

This is my first post on myArmoury by the way. Looking forward to more of this forum.
James Holczer

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Lyon wrote:
Looking at the cast list for the movie, I wonder if the feature film will be about the "other" 1066 - the battle in the north against Hardrada's landing?

I'm assuming the 1066 film will cover the invasion in the north and the events surrounding it, how detailed that coverage will be remains to be seen. One of the screen writers for this film is Helen Hollick and the movie is loosely based on her historical novel "Harold the King" which covers the life and times of Harold Godwinsson. Hopefully the film will remain true to the book because it should prove to be quite an epic.

I highly recommend Hollick's novel and I think it's a must read for anyone interested in the history of 11th century England. It not only covers the events preceding the Norman invasion in rich detail but it gives an all too human perspective to the socio-political make-up of the England that once was. Norman sympathizers may find it a bit bias but one has to remember that the central character is Saxon and the story is written predominately from a Saxon point of view.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Örn wrote:
The unfamiliar cast makes this movie even more exciting imo. Especially in "historical" films I personally prefer to see new actors I haven't seen in any previous film, since it adds to the whole realism of the story.

This is my first post on myArmoury by the way. Looking forward to more of this forum.

Well welcome to the Forums. Big Grin

Maybe with unknown actors there might be more care in staying close to the real history than with a " BIG " actor with a " Big EGO " changing the story for better close-ups.

I don't expect a movie to be 100% accurate I'm just hoping that at least the broad lines of the story have some relationship to real history.

If, not then I could still live with a good story, well acted, with good costume and set design and I would try to just enjoy it as a " fantasy tale " only very loosely based on history.

( Oh, we have had these discussions Topics recently about historical authenticity in movies, but lets remember that they don't make movies for history buffs: They make them to make money. Wink ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
JE Sarge wrote:

I was looking at the extensive cast list for this film - no one is listed as playing Duke William! There is a character called the Saracen woman. I wonder what she is doing that far north? This is before the 1st Crusade, so they can't use that as a plot device. (I guess a Norman from Southern Italy could have brought her back with him)

Spain was mostly moorish back at that era, and much closer to England.

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aside from the Saracen woman, who strikes me as being out of place, I am eager to see this movie. Living in North America, I'm not sure how that's going to happen, but I'd like to see it just the same. It's not very often when I'm impressed by the costuming and the arms and armour in a movie, but this one caught my attention.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sa'ar Nudel wrote:

The Muslims of Sicily were referred to as Saracens, but i don't believe the same was said of the Muslims of Spain (I certainly could be wrong about this) Of course, an 11th century Englishman wouldn't be so fine in his definitions of foreigners and neither probably would be the people who made this movie
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So about the 1066: Battle for Middle Earth I was talking about (As different from the 1066 you guys are talking about); who has seen it, and what did you think?

M>

Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Sa'ar Nudel wrote:

The Muslims of Sicily were referred to as Saracens, but i don't believe the same was said of the Muslims of Spain (I certainly could be wrong about this) Of course, an 11th century Englishman wouldn't be so fine in his definitions of foreigners and neither probably would be the people who made this movie

This is most correct. Though the general attitude of the Christian public in each earopean land (during high middle ages) towards the muslims could have been different from each country to another, they usualy have regarded the muslims as one homogeneous crowd, and this is far from true.

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
So about the 1066: Battle for Middle Earth I was talking about (As different from the 1066 you guys are talking about); who has seen it, and what did you think?

M>

Although it's not my period of expertise, on the whole I thought it was an excellent film.

I liked the fact they'd used accurate period costume (men in hose, NOT trousers knee-high boots) and, when they introduced a race, they spoke for the first couple on minutes in their native tongue (for example, the hand-fasting at the beginning was spoke in Old English; the Vikingr spoke Norwegian (although I couldn't tell if it was old Norwegian!)

I know Regia Anglorum were heavily involved as background extras. Apparently, the actors, and even the stunt men, were told to stay away from them during the fight scenes, for fear of getting hurt!

The reference to Middle Earth sounded extremely dubious to start with but the film goes on to demonstrate how Tolkien was heavily influenced in his ideas by the language, poetry and story-telling of the Anglo-Saxons, and how many of Tolkien's 'creations' (for example, Elves and Orcs) come from Anglo-Saxon mythology

On the whole it demonstrates that a film can be historically accurate AND still be a compelling story. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Hollywood will be picking up on this concept anytime soon (new Robin Hood, anyone?)

Off to swear a mead oath now... (M will know what I mean!)
Garrett Hazen

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do think I will enjoy the new Robin Hood indeed - a classic story. I hope they treat it like one.
Learn to obey before you command--Solon of Athens

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Film 1066
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: