Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to Mount a Horse in Armor and Other Chivalric Problems Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: How to Mount a Horse in Armor and Other Chivalric Problems         Reply with quote

Tried to post this earlier but it got lost in the shuffle, and I removed it, but as questions have arisen regarding the Toby Capwell harness I thought I would try to get this back in the spotlight as I can't imagine people here wouldn't appreciate this lecture.

It's a 45 minute lecture from Dirk H. Breiding, Assitant Curator, Department of Arms and Armor, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Goes in to dispelling a lot of silly misconceptions that plague the modern public's view of armor.

Also has some amazing footage of the famous and quite beautiful Tobias Capwell harness in full action at time 34:45 in to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqC_squo6X4

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen this. Thought it was pretty cool. Other interesting bits occur when he pokes fun at Deadliest Warrior, an episode of Mail Call featuring "armour" and some "experts", and some nifty videos of armour articulation (he states that for some parts of a harness the armour can move in ways that exceed a human's flexability and shows a video to prove it).
"Tears are for the craven, prayers are for the clown.
Halters for the silly neck that cannot keep a crown.
As my loss is grievous, so my hope is small.
For Iron, Cold Iron, must be master of men all..."
-Cold Iron, Rudyard Kipling
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Colt Reeves wrote:
... and some nifty videos of armour articulation (he states that for some parts of a harness the armour can move in ways that exceed a human's flexability and shows a video to prove it).

Some of those clips in particular are really amazing. The fluidity of the articulation of the sabatons that he shows are so smooth that they almost give the illusion of not being made from metal. It's really amazing the level of technology that went into the armorer's craft. It's especially sad that most people today think of armor as so clumsy and cumbersome.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The old black and white video of them handling Henry VIII's original armor so roughly and without gloves made me cringe, but it's also the first time I've really seen an original piece in action. I knew armor isn't nearly as cumbersome as many people think, and can demonstrate that point when I wear my own kit, but I was still very surprised by the amazing craftsmanship of the period pieces.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to Mount a Horse in Armor and Other Chivalric Problems
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic