Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > side sword for Bolognese WMA study Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Paul Abrams

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jun, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: side sword for Bolognese WMA study         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm studying the Bolognese system and want to pick up a side sword for WMA solo training and sparring. I'm also tall (6'2") so I could go with a longer blade, but I like cutting. Any recommendations?

Here are a few swords that have caught my eye.

Arms & Armor side sword trainer
http://armor.com/rapier219.html

Arms & Armor Serenissima rapier
http://armor.com/rapier212.html

Darkwood side sword
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_dw_ss.html

Lastly, this is the waster I use:
http://www.newstirlingarms.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=15

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Paul Abrams on Sun 28 Jun, 2009 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Maxwell

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

Honestly, your best bet is to talk to Steven from the Order of the Seven Hearts- www.salvatorfabris.com

He is very, very knowledgeable about the bolognese system.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You won't go wrong with any of those choices. I've been using an A&A Writhen rapier hilt mounted with a training blade, and I've recently just gotten the Saxon Military Rapier with a training blade. The guys at A&A really understand just what to do to capture the dynamic properties of period swords with tough, hard working blades. I think you'd be happy with any of their swords mounted as a blunt trainer.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Paul. I'll second the recommendation for A & A. I really love my Serenissima sword! Big Grin
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: side sword for Bolognese WMA study         Reply with quote

Paul A. wrote:
I'm studying the Bolognese system and want to pick up a side sword for WMA solo training and sparring. I'm also tall (6'2") so I could go with a longer blade, but I like cutting. Any recommendations?

I like all of the swords you posted; however, given that you want a somewhat longer blade, I'd probably go with either the Serenissima Rapier or the Darkwood Side Sword. I prefer the former as I like the feel of the handles on the A&A and with the #6008 Side Sword blade you have a durable training weapon that will hold up very well to the rigors of the system (which tends to be hard on blades).

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 29 Jun, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: side sword for Bolognese WMA study         Reply with quote

Steven Reich wrote:
I prefer the former as I like the feel of the handles on the A&A and with the #6008 Side Sword blade you have a durable training weapon

As an aside, when I ordered the two swords from A&A that I have, I talked to Craig Johnson and simply said I wanted practice blades for Bolonese swordsmanship, and A&A did the rest. I've been using the Writhen rapier with absolutely no problems, and the handling is quite excellent.

The Serenissima, by the way, is a wonderful sword, so if you go with it I think you'll love it.

Steve, as you may have noticed above, I just received my Saxon Military Rapier with the training blade very recently, and I absolutely love it. I've been drilling with it, and the handling is fantastic. I think you'll like it, as it seems to combine the best of the standard blade with the #6008 blade. Its even quite flexible near the point without sacrificing the rigidness of the blade for that "bite" when the blades meet. I feel like I could fence with it as a point weapon without any issues. I can't wait to start putting it through its paces in practice.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Paul Abrams

PostPosted: Tue 30 Jun, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, this is great information. Based on you recommendations I think I'm leaning towards the Serenissima.

Cheers,
Paul

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > side sword for Bolognese WMA study
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic