Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A beautiful messer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jun, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
This is the basic design for the scabbard.

I'd move the by-knife an prickler down toward the tip of scabbard more. In the drawing you did you'll notice that they're on the "guard" side of the messer and therefore you won't have room to draw them out unless you partially withdraw the messer first. A little point, but a functional one nonetheless. ;-)
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jun, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a really elegeant set Nathan. I love how well the four knives, grosse and klein, compliment each other.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jun, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
This is the basic design for the scabbard.

I'd move the by-knife an prickler down toward the tip of scabbard more. In the drawing you did you'll notice that they're on the "guard" side of the messer and therefore you won't have room to draw them out unless you partially withdraw the messer first. A little point, but a functional one nonetheless. ;-)

That's the point. They "lock" into the scabbard when the sword is in place. If you study historical artwork, you'll see them pushed way up towards the mouth of the scabbard -- even more than my sketch. Modern designs that have the by-knives more towards the tip are more ahistorical than anything.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jun, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,
I really admire the approach you have taken with assembling these individual items into one cohesive grouping. Your scabbard design is incredible, and I am sure it will be doubly impressive when it comes to fruition. Every once and a while members post items that make me reconsider jumping into the realm of quality historical re-creations--this is one such instance!

Jonathan
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jul, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey everybody-

I received the scabbard for my Albion Soldat grossemesser a couple months ago from Christian Fletcher. I haven't had time to do photographs and post it until now.

Here are some quick shots for you to see how it turned out. Note that the by-knife/pricker and hauswehr (with its own scabbard) were all made by Tod's Stuff.

Click images for full-sized photographs

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jul, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GORGEOUS! I loved this set without the scabbard. Now it's just too nice.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jul, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sighs in jealousy...an excellent en suite Nathan!
Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That has all worked out really well Nathan, Christians scabbard looks fantastic and all together a really nice cohesive set to have put together, so well done for thinking of it and credit to Christian for a very slick job.

Nathan Robinson wrote
Quote:
I like the look of "black", too, and would wonder what period-appropriate wood would give that effect

Other than bog oak which is not great to work and does not have many good characteristics for weapon handles I would be stumped to know what European wood is black - none I think. However high tannin woods like Oak and Chestnut react strongly to the presence of iron salts by turning black. Try leaving a nail on a slab of oak and draping a damp cloth on it for a day or two. So if you wanted to turn wood black authentically, sweep your shop floor, pour it over your oak and add a bit of water. Also works for veg tan leather.

I have it in my mind somewhere that there were late medieval ordinances that prohibited the dyeing of wood in England to prevent one wood being passed off as another.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Other than bog oak which is not great to work and does not have many good characteristics for weapon handles I would be stumped to know what European wood is black

I really like the look of bog oak. It's unfortunate that its characteristics aren't appropriate for weapon grips. I almost suggested it for one of the upcoming projects I have with you, in fact. Aren't you glad one of us knows what he's talking about? Happy

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Leo Todeschini wrote:
Other than bog oak which is not great to work and does not have many good characteristics for weapon handles I would be stumped to know what European wood is black

I really like the look of bog oak. It's unfortunate that its characteristics aren't appropriate for weapon grips. I almost suggested it for one of the upcoming projects I have with you, in fact. Aren't you glad one of us knows what he's talking about?

Bog oak was used on Scottish Dirk handles I think as well as many other woods and Scotland and Ireland are two big sources for bog oak in the UK. It may be that the pieces I have are not great quality but, it is hard to use because many of it properties that you would associate with its original base material have changed. It has voids and splits galore inside, so what looks great outside may be a sieve once you have spent a hour selecting and working a piece. it splits and chips horribly easily and has broad colour changes throughout.

Basically it takes a while to find a piece that you may get the handle out of and three quarters of the time it turns out to be unsuitable once you have started. Quite how they carved dirk handles from the stuff I don't know - better quality pieces than I have had access to I guess.

Saying all that though if you want Bog Oak I will put out the feelers for a high grade piece and see if I can turn up a solid piece with promise.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,
The new scabbard looks fantastic. As a set, the messer/by-knives and hauswehr are quite enviable! As always, you leave me wondering what you have up your sleeve for your next project. Happy

Jonathan
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
Other than bog oak which is not great to work and does not have many good characteristics for weapon handles I would be stumped to know what European wood is black - none I think.

Ebony is found in Africa and was used since Egyptian times. I don't imagine that it was used a lot here in medieval times, but it's possible.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FWIW: Here's a DIY page (yellow sidebar at left) on ebonizing.

http://www.paintpro.net/Articles/PP701/PP701_ebonizing.cfm

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt found this
Quote:
FWIW: Here's a DIY page (yellow sidebar at left) on ebonizing.

This is producing iron salts in a solution (iron sulfate I think) which reacts with the tannin in the wood, so will work far less well for pine than oak as an example. You tag this with a FWIW implying that perhaps it is a modern discovery; but this is a simple leather stain for veg tan and is an effect that it just would not be possible for our forebears to have missed, so you can bet that the staining of wood and especially leather in this way would have been known about and presumably practised.

I have a lot of iron based dust in my workshop and when I have wet leather in there, it is nearly impossible for it to come out without some iron staining.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The bauernwehr really ties the four together as a transition between the soldat and the smaller knives, having the nagel of the soldat and the handle of the smaller two. Pretty neat set.
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jul, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That really is a gorgeous set as a whole.
though it seems to have a bit of a fault in the photograph. maybe your camera's broken, but the images are all green to me... Big Grin
no, joke aside, utterly gorgeous.

Leo Todeschini wrote:
So if you wanted to turn wood black authentically, sweep your shop floor, pour it over your oak and add a bit of water. Also works for veg tan leather.

Tod

and conventiently, I've not swept up the small mountain of fresh filings from yesterday lying on my workshop floor yet. was going to do it "tomorrow"*.

I think I might have to actually get round to it, and try that out on some wood and leather for fun Happy

(you know. Tomorrow. that tenebrous target point somewhere in the near future that good intentions is approaching while distractions are receeding away from at unequal rates of knots...)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A beautiful messer
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: