Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > windlass bar mace Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Aaron Morris

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well if you look down the mace along one of the corners you can see how it was welded , and at the bottom there even appears to be a spot of slight undercut however there is probably more though as I don't notice things like that as well as others
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's kind of nifty looking. Certainly a less well known piece.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks suspiciously similar to the one shown here:

http://www.wayfarersmoon.com/index.php?page=140

Jim
Witek Chmielewski

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. Who would have used one of these? It has quite a utilitarian look to it.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

something has happened over time to this one. i just got one from windlass and mine is nearly 6 pounds! (2650 g, I can take a pic of the thing sitting on my lab scale iydbm). i have a friend who bought one about a year ago and his is 2180 g, more like the one in the posted review. Mine has a POB of about 5.5 inches from the end of the handle and at that weight it is not wieldable in one hand. not by me anyway. the handle though is big enough to take two hands. its like a 6 pound steel baseball bat in two hands though.. what i am saying is rather than a mace, it is more like a short polearm. there is a reverse profile taper (wider towards the point) from the handle but no taper in the thickness of the flanges. I think that is the fatal flaw in this reproduction - no distal taper at all in the flanges. I also suspect the steel bars on the latest batch are much thicker than before.

the good news is the steel does seem tempered and I don't see signs of the welds... at all. not on mine anyway. other than the weight issue and the funky windlass handle wrap I think this is an interesting weapon for the price but it looks like it is going to have to be modified to be a keeper. when I get the handle off I'll take a photo and post it. another shop project. tr
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
the good news is the steel does seem tempered and I don't see signs of the welds... at all. not on mine anyway. other than the weight issue and the funky windlass handle wrap I think this is an interesting weapon for the price but it looks like it is going to have to be modified to be a keeper. when I get the handle off I'll take a photo and post it. another shop project. tr

Are you going to take a grinder to it and remove some material?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric Fick

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I purchased one of the bar maces and found it to be fun for one night of smashing stuff. we used an old file cabinet at about 20 gauge and it was a blast (GREAT HOLES). After that, its pretty much a show piece for schools and demos as another example of a mace. It worked well both single hand with shield and two handed. All and All i think the proportions are all off but for the price its a fun buy if you wanna smash something or deal with home invaiders.

after a bit of hitting however we found that the handle bent (alot like the pictures actually) but it has now found its place as a wall hanger.,

Cheers,

Eric Fick
Davenriche European Martial Artes Schoole
www.swordfightingschool.com
Thom R.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Eric, given the weight and its distribution thats exactly what I was worried about and why I want to strip the handle and examine the tang/rod. Nathan, its a good news / bad news kind of thing. being tempered is good for an impact weapon, but..... that makes it hard to modify and honestly I think one would spend more money on grinding/cutting wheels than the piece is worth. but cutting it down might be an option........ tr
James Head

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danny Grigg wrote:
Here is a quote from "European Weapons And Armour by Ewart Oakeshott".

"There is in the Odescalci Collection in Rome a most interesting mace of aberrant form, like a rather graceful club forged in steel with a little finial at its head shaped as a truncated cone reversed, and a small spherical button at the end of the narrow, shaped grip, illustrated in figure 13. This is a rare example of such a mace, though several are to be seen in Italian paintings of the fourteenth century-notably a fresco by Giotto in the Cappella della Scrovegni, Padua (c. 1303-1305), and a predella by Giovanni di Bartolomeo Christiani (c. 1367-1393) in the Metropolitan Museum, New York. It seems to have been a type of weapon confined to Italy, used probably only during the fourteenth century, since no representations of it exist later than Christiani's predella."

I wonder what the finial at the top of the original mace was meant for? I also wonder why Windlass didn't include it in their reproduction...
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its windlass. they absolutely have to screw it up SOMEHOW, and other than chopping up fence posts and marketing them, this was the best, most noticeable way to go about doing so Laughing Out Loud .....
"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Eric Fick

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you will notice the Tang is a bit on the small side when you take off the handle wrapp that is where my beast got bendy.

I would have to agree that grinding may not be worth it in the long run, have someone make you a better one A&A maybe

Cheers,

Eric Fick
Davenriche European Martial Artes Schoole
www.swordfightingschool.com
Thom R.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK here it is stripped down for your viewing pleasure

its more good news /bad news. good news is that the four flanges continue all the way.... I had thought after Eric's comment that maybe the tang of this weapon was just the one flat bar like a sword tang. but no, it is four flanged all the way to the pommel. bad news is that you can see how it is constructed - notice how the four bars are not fully welded on the tang end leaving some slots exposed

also you can see the grip is simply all leather. the leather cord wrap is not glued down either and I suspect needs to be removed no matter what as it will definitely come loose with use. actually i suspect the whole grip will come loose with use. the pommel is also fully welded onto the tang.

my guess is the pommel is about 300 grams. stripped of hilt, total weight is 2510 grams. given the length and ignoring the tapers for now, that means that the mace end is about 82 grams per inch. so if I remove 8 inches, I should get the weight down below 2000 grams. that would leave a mace with a total length of 21 inches stem to stern, with 12 inches on the business end and a 9 inch hilt. Thats still in the range of most maces. So now that I have seen all of the bar, I think that makes the most sense here. I am considering cutting off the pommel end too and grinding it for a peened pommel assembly with a different pommel. I think given the geometry of the four flanges, a faceted rather than round grip is in order too.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Thom, for the photos. It's probably better to call that thing a "butt cap" rather than a pommel. Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thanks, Thom, for the photos. It's probably better to call that thing a "butt cap" rather than a pommel. Happy

If four quarter-round hard wood pieces where used as a base for the handle and epoxied in place and then wrapped with nylon cord all saturated in epoxy it might structurally reinforce the " tang " sufficiently that the handle would not be bent out of shape by heavy blows ?

Using a sword like leather wrap over the whole thing to hide the modern materials ?

I certainly would have more confidence in a custom version made by A&A, OlliN or Michael Pikula ??? Certainly more expensive but a forged version should be sturdier.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > windlass bar mace
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: