Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Erik Stevenson Basket Hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: New Erik Stevenson Basket Hilt         Reply with quote

Just got these pics the other day and thought I'd share them.... coming my way is this Scottish S-hilt basket hilt broadsword:

Attachment: 39.32 KB
[ Download ]

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is based on this sword (long one of my favorites):
http://www.scottishsword.com/AntiqueSword41.htm

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another view:

Attachment: 58.5 KB
DW3.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,

Another awesome sword from Erik. Congrats, It looks great! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to want to see more pictures when it arrives. Cool

Stephen

Attachment: 64.46 KB
original & Erik's version.jpg

M. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,

That is absolutely gorgeous! Erik is quite the craftsman. Congrats to you, sir. Did Erik make the blade as well?

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
M Enwia

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 19 May, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks pretty, but can it fight?
Too many proverbs may result in too many words and not enough wisdom.

M Enwia's own proverb.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
Hi David,

That is absolutely gorgeous! Erik is quite the craftsman. Congrats to you, sir. Did Erik make the blade as well?

Nope, the blade is an Angus Trim. Erik did carve most of the fullers, though!

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Nice one ..... Erik did a nice job reproducing that design !

A hearty congrats to you on another fine piece !

I look forward to hearing more about it !

Alba Gu Brath , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is simply outstanding, David. I really like that design of basket, too, a design I don't recall seeing myself before.
Angus McLarty

PostPosted: Fri 21 May, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It certainly is a beautiful piece. The more I look at it, the more I like it.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: It's here!!!!         Reply with quote

Wow, it's great! It handles as beautifully as it looks. I will have to write up a more in-depth description of it. But for now, more pics: Big Grin

Attachment: 64.34 KB
DW5.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here's an "inside shot". The grip is black leather with bright silver wire, ending in turksheads:

Attachment: 51.26 KB
DW6.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Be sure and let us know them baskets stats, Dave ! A pic in hand would be great , too *g* ;-) Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

stunning! I like it better than the original!
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Review Time!         Reply with quote

Erik Stevenson is a true master of his craft. His attention to detail and his knowledge of historical arms shows in every piece he produces. Gazing at his website can produce jaw-dropping reactions from even the most jaded types. Handling his wares is even more impressive.

Therefore, I just had to get him to make me something. But what? That can be a difficult question to answer, since he is capable of interpreting several historical and cultural designs with equal skill. For example, I was able to handle and evaluate a Roman gladius hispaniensis by Mr. Stevenson -- the woodwork detailing was exquisite, but not only that, it handled amazingly well. I was so impressed, I bought it. A beautiful Main gauche also blew me away with it's detailing -- thankfully it belonged to someone else and he wasn't selling....

But I had to get something new and unique. What would it be... eeny, meeny, minee, mo -- Okay, a Scottish basket hilt. Erik's pictures are nice, it looked like he could do a fine job. But what pattern?

I've long appreciated this sword, in the collection of Patrick Tougher of Scottish Sword and Shield (www.scottishsword.com). There's something about it that I just like. Well, it is an "S" hilt, and I do like those "S" hilts....
This sword is an uncommon Regimental piece, and according to Pat, saw action at the battle of Waterloo. There aren't many like it.
And it's for sale. Got $5,700 US? I don't.

The next step was contacting Erik, and asking him if it was feasible. Erik said it was, and for much less than $5,700 he would take it on.

Erik is a great person to work with, too. He's great with communications. He is open to suggestions and really strives to get all the details he can.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a whole lot of details, since all I had were the pictures (I've never actually handled the original). So I told Erik to do what he could, I wasn't real picky anyway.

Some numbers for you all...
OA Length: 37.25 inches
Blade Length: 31 inches
Blade width: 1 5/8 inch (approx)
Ricasso Length: 2.25 inches
Hilt length: 6.25 inches
Grip length: 4 inches
Basket measurements:
3.5 inches, reargaurd to reargaurd
4.5 inch depth (front gaurd to reargaurds)

CoP: 20.5 inches
PoB/CoG: 2.25 inches (end of ricasso!)
Weight: 2 lbs, 12 oz

The blade is by Angus Trim, with the two side and ricasso fullers ground in by Erik. It is typically Angus Trim -- well-tempered, light and flexible. And finished to a satin sheen by Erik, complete with a sharp working edge.
The grip is wood, covered with black leather. Erik can do various materials, including rayskin. But I didn't want fishskin, I wanted something different. We settled on plain old black leather wrapped with a bright silver wire, for contrast. The wire ends in turksheads knots -- turksheads are notoriously difficult, but Erik can do 'em!
The whole thing is peened together.

The basket is beautful. The browned finish is flawless. There are no big weld spots visible anywhere. The basket is not too small, nor too large (okay, some people will never be happy with a basket hilt of any size, as they will inevitably say it's still too confining. basketophobes, I pity you...)

Even the scabbard deserves some ooohs and awws. The stitch lines are hardly visible, the steel furniture is browned to match the basket, and it fits the blade excellently.

The end result is beautiful to look at, and to handle. Erik not only produces attractive swords, but swords that handle like antique originals, with that elusive "lively" feel. This sword feels like a basket hilt broadsword should. Everything is spot on. It feels like it wants to cut -- and it does cut, real well.

Needless to say, my expectations were well met, and in fact exceeded by the artistry and brilliance of Erik Stevenson. In fact, I would rate him as a top notch hammerman, certainly deserving to be ranked with the best of the current basket-hilt makers -- and dare I say it, with the Allen family themselves...? High praise perhaps, but certainly well deserved.

Erik Stevenson/Phoenix Metal Creations: http://www.phoenixmetalcreations.com/

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing with us, & for providing the detailed stats. It's funny, I always get excited when seeing these awesome pieces, pull out the measuring tape and attempt "visualize" the piece in my hand while looking at the pictures. (helps me get a perspective of the size) Then I say wow. Cool

Stephen
Scott H.

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: baskethilt         Reply with quote

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!

David, you and Mac have opened my eyes to a new world! These baskethilts are gorgeous. And, since I don't have quite the funds to do it myself, keep 'em coming!! I can enjoy them through your eyes! .... for now.

Thanks for sharing!
Scott
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jun, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Whoa...         Reply with quote

David Wilson wrote:
And here's an "inside shot". The grip is black leather with bright silver wire, ending in turksheads:

Now THAT is a stunning grip!

Congratulations David, you're a lucky man! Cool

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
James Sharpe

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2004 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, you really are very fortunate indeed! That is a very stunning recreation. Maybe someday Erik's will open up his waiting list again, as I would love to be be able to own one of his pieces someday.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Erik Stevenson Basket Hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic