Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Indian Urumi (flexible sword) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh, there you go. Well, I guess that actually suports my point better than I realised. I thought I was just being silly. Any Scots or Scottish Dancers, please don't take too much offense, I used that example since I have a fair bit of Scotish ancestry and I feel it is good to make fun of one's own culture to an equel or greater degree than you are nocking anyone else's. The arms by your side bit does look a bit naff though.
Anyway, thanks for the info, I genuinely did not know it had the slightest bit of martial history to it. On an interesting asside, here in Victoria, Australia, due to rather restrictive rules around owning "sword like weapons" in order to own a sword one must have a special exemption, the only pre existing catagories for the "Ligitimate persuit" are 1)Established collector
2) Member of historical re-enactment group afiliated with the Australian Living History federation 3) Sikh, for use with religious ceromonies 4) Freemason or 5) Member of Highland Dance organisations.
so under English (which Australian is really an outshoot of) law it was outlawed, and now shifted to protected.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's very interesting about the Highlamd Dancing. Is there any remaining proof as to the actual original form? It might be something I'd be very keen to learn... Provided I don't have to wear a kilt, as I have heavily tattooed legs.

Nat, Your point was that an Urumi must somehow be a weapon more of cultural significance than actual combat-effectiveness.

The truth is though, that to even qualify to learn use of the Urumi/Chuttaval, you must first master pole, spear, sword, two swords, sword and shield, short poleaxe and club. As well as the unarmed techniques. You have to be a good fighter to even be considered.

There are very few people in the world who know how to use a Chuttaval (at least use one properly). Teaching of it is very exclusive, which would seem to defeat the entire purpose... if this weapon was in fact intended merely as some display of culture. It is definitely meant to be used as a weapon... concealed. Like a Thug or Assassin might use perhaps. There exists the potential for use against a great number of enemies at once with this weapon...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:

The truth is though, that to even qualify to learn use of the Urumi/Chuttaval, you must first master pole, spear, sword, two swords, sword and shield, short poleaxe and club. As well as the unarmed techniques. You have to be a good fighter to even be considered.

I have no doubt that to even qualify to train with this weapon one would need the skill and control of someone already very skilled in other fighting arts and that a master of this weapon would be very scary/awesome but the very dangerous to oneself nature of this weapon to the beginner sort of precludes it being something one could make a general issue weapon: In other words it's so difficult to learn only a dedicated martial artist could hope to become even marginally competent with it.

Not like a spear and shield that with a few weeks of basic training one could maybe form a semi effective phalanx or shield wall if one was arming a part time army or self-defence militia.

Not that one can become a master with the spear for individual fighting in such a short time, but at least the basics can be learned quickly as far as group tactics are concerned. ( Conjecture )

Maybe the point is I don't think that this is an easy weapon to master or that the weapon is just showy and ineffective but I'm still am not sure how it is used offensively and especially defensively. It may be one of those weapon/martial arts where there is very little information about it's proper use because the " elite " that knows won't tell. Wink Big Grin ( Secrets not shared with outsiders to the upper echelon of the art ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you think of the weapon in its context, there are a few common sense techniques that could be used with it:

Intimidation. I'd not get near it.
Distraction, the weapon is difficult to figure out if you have never seen it before.
Disarms by whipping the blades around the opponent's weapon or limb.
Numerous slashing attacks from a variety of angles, even around weapons or shields.
Ability to attack different targets in rapid succession or simultaneously.
Throws by whipping the blades around your opponent's legs.

Looking at the weapon, I can definately see why it was developed. I believe it was an effective weapon, not wholly developed for show. Sure, it is shown off now out of context as an art form, but it had its place as an offensive/defensive weapon in antiquity.

I practice WMA myself, and to be honest I had rather fight against polearm with a gladius than combat a skilled warrior with one of these.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Ben Potter
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not much of a martial artist but I am more or less comfortable with steel and sharp objects (maybe some what foolish as well). So when I read this post the other day I watched the videos, did some research and went to the scrap pile for an old band saw blade and cut a section the right length. It doesn't seem as hard as I thought it would be to be able to do some of the basic things. Once you figure out the way it moves when you swing it (like a bull whip that only goes two directions ) you can start working out how you would attack with it and how not to get hit with it (I'm NOT using a sharp one but it does still have the teeth on it). Given some time I think it would be possible to obtain some level of proficiency with it. I believe it would be a very effective weapon in the right context. As with the Japanese kusarigama (the sickle with a chain and weight) it is a personal weapon not one that works very well in a military context. Most "odd" weapons are not for every one but once mastered they can give the user a significant advantage over the average assailant.

If I had to guess I would say the reason more people do not use the urumi is the how intimidating it is to learn, like nunchucks, the three section staff, or the kusarigama. If you started with a blunt one or better yet a leather one, it wouldn't be that bad.

That said, a weapon with this level of ability to cause damage and be concealed, it seems that masters might not want to teach it to just anyone until they felt that they could trust the student's character (that they were not going to use their training in the wrong way).

Just my opinion, and again I don't have much real MA training.

Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
For any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haha! Ben... You made one? Cool!

I've seen your site, and I like your stuff. If you were to make a sharp 4-bladed Urumi with one of your nice handles on it, I'd buy one. I have some ridiculously insignificant experience with one, but I think (hope) my humble chain-whip skills might help me to become quite good quite quickly. Plus, I have the advantage of having seen a couple of Chuttaval (the same exact weapon as the Urumi, but named in another Indian dialect) drills being practiced in a Punjabi Kalari. I'd like to give it a go, but lack any real weapon making skills...

I had forgotten the kusarigama... and also found limited similarities to the Chinese rope-and-dart and "twin meteors" as well.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Indian Urumi (flexible sword)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: