Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dustin Reagan, Carlo Arellano sparring video Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Carlo Arellano

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Dustin Reagan, Carlo Arellano sparring video         Reply with quote

I've been training four months now with an excellent partner and i wanted to post a bouting and controlled freeplay vid for your comments and criticisms. My biggest problem right now is footwork, due to a knee injury so i'm not controlling the zufechten at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKHmBlR8-Ro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59nlzk24mlY
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, Carlo is the big guy (red in the first video, grey in the second).
Steven H

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for sharing. Posting your sparring videos to get others to check is a good tool and important for the community and requires some bravery. (And reminds me that I need a camera).

First of all: it looks pretty good for four months!

Good: Your control is good. You also fence conservatively that is you fight not to get hit; which is good technique. Good parries i.e. not wide, point off line parries.

Bad (needs improvement): The footwork is pretty linear. I assume that your practicing Lichtenauer, it looks like it, so your footwork should include more stepping off line. Vom Tag with the hands forward instead of in tight or over the head; this is a sure way to get your hands hit and reduces your power.

Ugly: The "Scared Peasant" stance, pflug but with the hands forward. This position offers you almost nothing and is not shown in any manual.

All the problems are fairly easy to solve and normal for new students. Definitely quite good for four months Big Grin

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Carlo Arellano

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for sharing. Posting your sparring videos to get others to check is a good tool and important for the community and requires some bravery. (And reminds me that I need a camera).

First of all: it looks pretty good for four months!

Good: Your control is good. You also fence conservatively that is you fight not to get hit; which is good technique. Good parries i.e. not wide, point off line parries.

Bad (needs improvement): The footwork is pretty linear. I assume that your practicing Lichtenauer, it looks like it, so your footwork should include more stepping off line. Vom Tag with the hands forward instead of in tight or over the head; this is a sure way to get your hands hit and reduces your power.

Ugly: The "Scared Peasant" stance, pflug but with the hands forward. This position offers you almost nothing and is not shown in any manual.

All the problems are fairly easy to solve and normal for new students. Definitely quite good for four months Big Grin

Cheers,
Steven

Awesome! This has been incredibly useful. I know exactly what to do to work on and fix this.
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

I agree with probably all of your criticism. I'm just curious what you meant by this point:

Steven H wrote:

Just so we are on the same page, can you pinpoint a time in one of the videos where Carlo or I am exhibiting this 'stance'?

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Dustin
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,

It's been a busy weekend.

Dustin, you did it at 1:06 and 2:20 in the first video. You also let your hands briefly, drift forwards from a proper pflug on a few other occasions.

Carlos, since you were at a different angle to the camera I'm not sure. There were a few times where I suspected it but the camera angle left it unclear.

It was fewer times than I remembered. I suspect that because it is a pet peeve of mine it sticks in my head :-9

Again, very good for a first time.

I had a few thoughts about making videos for this kind of purpose:
Keep the camera in mind when resetting after an exchange, so that the fight will usually be clearly visible (instead of just seeing a persons back).
Tap the spot where you were hit, so that the camera can see it. I think this is good practice for any freeplay.

Cheers,
Steven

Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Hello,

Dustin, you did it at 1:06 and 2:20 in the first video. You also let your hands briefly, drift forwards from a proper pflug on a few other occasions.

Hi Steven,

Thanks for clarifying. Actually this guard is illustrated in at least one manual that I can think of...it is one of Meyer's guards, Eisenport.

It is commonly used to provoke your opponent or initiate a bind (as I did at 2:20).

From Meyer:

"Stand with your right foot forward, hold your sword with the grip in front of the knee, with straightly hanging arms, that your point stands upward out at your opponent's face."

Scroll down on this page for the full quote and some commentary:

http://freifechter.com/longsword.html

I appreciate your other points as well, regarding filming technique. We'll definitely keep those in mind!

Thanks,
Dustin
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmm,

I'd forgotten that it was in Meyer. I'm still not a huge fan of it. Mostly because of the need to break new students of the habit.

But if you can make it for you than good.

Cheers,
Steven

Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jun, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Hmmm,

I'd forgotten that it was in Meyer. I'm still not a huge fan of it. Mostly because of the need to break new students of the habit.

But if you can make it for you than good.

Cheers,
Steven

Yes, I'm sure we use it inappropriately several times, so thank you for pointing it out. It seems that Meyer himself may not have been a huge fan of it, either, as he has this to say about it:

"...this guard is also easily deflected and sent to the ground."

I've found this fact useful, though, as you can use the guard to provoke your opponent to attempt to deflect or knock your blade aside. If you can anticipate this, you can disengage his blade and counter (nachreissen).

Dustin

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Dustin Reagan, Carlo Arellano sparring video
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic