Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What role will you play? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: What role will you play?         Reply with quote

I am writing a book that concerns a medieval town set in modern/near future times. Circumstances will come up concerning armoures making repairs to knights armour, making new armour, blacksmithing, making swords, farming, making clothes and all that pertains to the ways and redumentry ways of the old days. I was wondering if any one here on these forums would like to have a character after themselves in the book? The help is needed when different circumstances come up and I could P.M. for your personal advice. Therefore, your character's role will be along the lines of what you know about best. This advice would thus be related from your character to other characters in the book and even may be used to further the detail of the book towards authenticity of what would really happen.

I ask the people here because of the strict dedication everyone here has for the accuracy of knowledge of the medieval ways of life.

Also for anyone who chooses to participate in this book as a character will recieve a free copy when the book is finished. The book will be a fully illustraded novel. I have confirmed and have an artist ready to start collaborations on this project.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting project. Unfortunately I am pretty much useless compared to most people here, so unless you need a village idiot.... Big Grin

Have you written any other books? I tried Googling your name and searching Amazon, but got nothing.
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Umm well I can swing a mean pollaxe, does that count?

In all seriousness, that sounds like an awesome idea. Keep us posted!

Compagno, Northwest Fencing Academy

http://bunkaijuju.blogspot.com/
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a clever idea and there is plenty of experience here that I'm sure people will be will to lend.
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm actually writing something along similar sounding lines at the moment, but it's just a novel (not graphic) and only a hobby of mine, so don't expect any competition!

Also, I'm a teacher of Religious Studies, Philosophy and Ethics. If you need a character to ponder the mysteries of the universe and offer moral advice feel free to PM me. Happy
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds good...

I'm an ex-catholic seminarist (with five years of teology) and now I'm interested in popular weapons for a medium-low soldier. If you need help with either of mine interest, fell free to ask.
Adam S.

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not an "expert," but I am a bit of a Jack-of-all-Trades. I'd be happy to help!

Depending on your time period I'd be either useful, or a waste of space, lol. I have a general understanding of pre-15th century food, clothing, weaponry, and armor. I know some of the basics of maintaining a medieval household, and tend to be a bit of a smarty-pants.

If you're going for historical accuracy you may want to get in contact with Elizabeth Chadwick. She's known for use of actual history in her books, weaves a fun yarn, and I've read that she's helped other writers before (though I can't remember where I read that...).

I like this type of fiction, so whether you use me or not I look forward to reading you work.

Good luck!
~A

PostPosted: Mon 25 May, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few great replies so far. Concerning the question about me writing before. I have wrote, however my work of a book of poetry and an unfinished fantasy book remains unblished. I have the ability to self publish, however I have not felt passinate to self publish/and promote my work.

In concerns to a few questions from both here and PM's; The setting is exactly what These actions resemble. An online community comming together during a crisis taking over the world. These people live with the historical knowledge they posses. As everyone contributes the town grows and learns to adapt. The knights protect the people and the people live to support the knights.

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

we have 5 people right now that have gave a definite yes to the project. Their traits include; armoursmith, artisan, blacksmith, bowyering/black powder, sword assembly, and leather work. I am trying to get atleast 10 people, so 5 more if possible. You do get to choose your charcters name if you like (can use your own name) Also you can choose your own attitude for your character (To resemble your self or a persona)

To give an idea of how the town comes together is almost exactly what I am trying to do now. The story will advance something like this:

(Main Character) Vincent Goes in search of the closest associates he has known from the online community he is affiliated with. With the need of his armour being repaired he heads for the armoursimth. And then he plans to head for James, whom knows how to cunstruct a small towns defensive walls.

The search for the knowledgable ones to establish a town are the first to be sought out. This can include people who don't know too much, though are hard workers and contribute the twon being built. So really anyone interested can join the project.

F. Carl Holz

Location: someplace out on the water (and probably not able to access my PM)
Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

definitely more qualified people for the medieval stuff, but if you need something about being out to sea... Not as experienced as some (or most ;P) but there's some stuff i know pretty well: bad food, long hours, how the water feels before a storm... Plus i've a lot of friends who have seen better and worse than me. Been reading through "medieval naval combat, 1000-1500" by Susan Rose too.

Anyways, not sure if any of that would help or not.

I should mention though that I'm not a top-sider, I work down in the pit (mechanic/engineer). so somebody who works up top (boatswain be best) would probably be able to give better stuff for old sailing ships.

interesting story concept by the by
J. Scott Moore

PostPosted: Fri 29 May, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd be happy to help. my skills as a carpenter are limited at best, but my tools are all definitely old world style. (I can't afford anything else) the only thing I really couldn't help with is the glue mixture. but pretty much anything else, I can do. I am in the planning stages for a few items of furniture, and I've made countless wooden wasters. all by hand. no power tools ever really touch my work.

anyway, I'd be happy to help, if you need it.

"Whoever desires peace, let him prepare for war."
-Vegetius

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What role will you play?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic