Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical Musket with Flintlock Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lisa Courtney

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Historical Musket with Flintlock         Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
I am sure at a lost here. I have very old musket to which I can't seem to date. I know that they came out in US around 1700 or so but also know they date back to 1300. Hopefully I could ad some pix. Let me explain about the musket. The overall length is a whopping 69 inches the barrel itself is 54 3/4 in long. I can't find anything that long. Also another thing I have noticed is there was no trigger guard ever on the gun, to which I know all the ones from 1700 on were made with them. I have searched and seen a good amount of 1700-1800 Flintlocks and can't match it up either. There are no ID numbers anywhere on the Flintlock or the musket. The barrel is an octagon shaped. The rod is in the musket but it also looks as if something was broken off like a bayonet or something. As I stated I believe this to be older than 1700 due to the shape of the but of the gun not looking like the others I have seen and all the pictures I have seen. I just can't find anything like it. Maybe you could help me.
On the bottom there is a screw someone put it it to which the only purpose for it is to hold the tab on top to which the long barrel is attached to.
You can see the hole on the side to where the flintlock would light it I guess and it would cause the gun to fire. I was thinking Spanish due to the design on the flintlock but no luck there. I tried Japanese, British and have been reading for days.
Any idea's?
I am going to sale it as soon as I can figure out what it is. I can't advertise and state musket for sale that is all I know about it LOL....
I have many pictures I don't know what I am allowed here. Please email me and I will send you more to give you better detail.
Thanks,
Lisa
I will have to send you pix they are not uploading for me.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lisa your post is very interesting but without photos there is no way anyone can help you. So, keep trying to download them.

A lot of what you have said points to a date of manufacture anywhere from 1600 to 1800. Some of the description is very intriguing like the absence of a trigger guard and a tang screw which enters the stock from below.

Send photos as soon as you can.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Lisa Courtney

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The screw is newer that someone put in it but I can't figure out without the trigger guard cause there is no trace of any being on it ever.
I am trying to upload the pictures.
Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa Courtney

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I cannot seem to upload any pictures. Could someone help me.
Thanks,
Lisa
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like it may be one of those long Afghan Jezail muskets to me, but that's just a thought...
They come in a variety of shapes and many without triggerguards. Here are a few examples:

]http://cannoneerno4.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/jezail.jpg

The Turks also made a lot of funky looking muskets, and it could also well be one of those...

Cheers,
Henrik
Lisa Courtney

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a nice gun. This one looks different both on the wood handle part and the flintlock. Someone is trying to help me with the pictures but the were rejected by their domain. I am trying to get them posted and surely going to look at some more of these type.
Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa Courtney

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention that ID on the barrel is 3/4 inch smooth inside. Octagon outside
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lisa managed to get the photos to me, but I have not been able to download them to the forum, for some reason or other. I was able to ID the musket easily. It is an Arabian musket fitted with a miquelet lock. The top jaw and jaw screw are missing from the lock and the trigger is broken off. There are several chips of wood out of the stock and the rammer and probably a couple of barrel bands are missing. Condition is poor. It is an interesting piece but not very collectible even when in good condition. It may date from the late 19th to early 20th c. but could be older. I will make a nice wall hanger.

I have suggested that she contact Nathan for assistance with downloading the photos to the forum. I believe forum members will be interested in seeing them, even though I have identified the gun.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jeff Larsen

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could send them to me, I'll download them.

Jeff

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." Julius Caesar

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical Musket with Flintlock
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic