Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Cuirassier Armour!!!---question on sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Keith H.

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: New Cuirassier Armour!!!---question on sword         Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
Just thought I'd drop a note and get opinions on my new armour.
I had Valentine start on a new Cuirassier armour for me a few months back, and it's almost done except for the gauntlets.
The helmet is finished, so I thought I would post a photo of it here.
I regret to say I have no photos of the rest of it at this time.
I'm hoping to have it arrive at the door soon.
Needless to say, the helmet gives an idea of what the rest looks like.
This was a special "custom" project, and Rob and I spent much effort in the study of it's historical details, with our correspondence consisting of only email from Vegas(where Rob is now located) to Texas.
From what I gather, it will be displayed on the Valentine website.
This particular harness is quite special for me, since the idea began at least 4 yrs ago, long before even ordering it.
It is a 3/4 harness- in late 16th-early 17th century style.
In the middle is the original helmet which was copied.
At the top and bottom is the new one of mine, made by Rob, but with some custom enhancements I wanted.

Any ideas on a new sword for this outfit? I had thought of the Munich town guard sword (I personally think those are actually Cuirassier swords-despite their being named what they are), but are there any which would be better?
Funny as it may seem, and although out of place--the Windlass Tudor's sword would look awesome with this--but oh well, so is historical accuracy................

Anyway, enjoy the eye candy........as it were.

Last edited by Keith H. on Mon 01 Jun, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
G K Pfingsten

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hate to make this suggestion just because it doesn't belong in the same time period, but I'd like to put the Albion Chevalier out there. When I saw your beautiful creation, the decor made me think of it's pommel. Congrats BTW, it's a gorgeous piece.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd go with the A&A Dresden or possibly the Cavalier.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Jason, A&A Dresden or Cavalier, the Musketeer would be also fine with your armour,

bu
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Town Guard sword would be highly appropriate for a Cuirassier as this kind of sword was quite common among the cuirassiers of the period. Indeed the typ was the sword of choice when the Danish military museum (Tojhusmuseet) made thei exhibition of the Renaissance art of war and wanted to illustrate the equipment of a cuirassier.

IMHo the A&A Musketeer is to light a blade to serviceable as a sword for a cuirassier. Cuirassier swords needed be able to withstand the rigors of comabt with heavily armored foes. Blades would get a lot fo stress due to the commmon habit of bracing the sword agianst your own tigh armour when charging the foe. More than a few of the sturdy "Town Guard" swords show evidence of the tip being broken and the sword having a new tip made.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Keith, congrats on the new piece, looks awesome. Can't wait to see pics of the cuirass.
Éirinn go Brách
Keith H.

PostPosted: Tue 19 May, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've decided to go with the Town Guard sword.
First, I'll try out the one from Windlass, just to get in some practice with it and see how they handle, and later, I may order the A@A version for a step up in quality.
I would have gone with the Cavalier, but I like the hilt of the Town Guard better. It's not as pretty a hilt, but it looks like it will handle better. I just hope it works well with gauntlets.
Thank's everyone.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 20 May, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have to agree with Daniel, i have seen many similar sword of northern european manifacture for cuirassier cavalry, the town guard is what you need, i have taken a second look to the A&A musketeer and i have seen that the blade is too light for a cavalry sword as Daniel has correctly said. yuor new armour look amazing i'm very curious to see the complete set.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Cuirassier Armour!!!---question on sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic