The Most Valuable Sword
Ahoy friends!

A co-worker who has discovered my love of swords had an interesting question for me. "What is the most valuable sword out there? The Holy Grail of swords?" he asked.

I didn't have an answer for him, other than "Something in a museum, most likely. A king's sword - something gem-studded and well-preserved."

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Perhaps there is no "one" most-valuable sword, but a number of them...
The sword you have in your hand if someone comes after you with a knife with intent to do you bodily harm. ;)
Brian M
Re: The Most Valuable Sword
Timothy Gulics wrote:
Ahoy friends!

A co-worker who has discovered my love of swords had an interesting question for me. "What is the most valuable sword out there? The Holy Grail of swords?" he asked.

I didn't have an answer for him, other than "Something in a museum, most likely. A king's sword - something gem-studded and well-preserved."

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Perhaps there is no "one" most-valuable sword, but a number of them...

Most of the swords of Kings and other notables in museums are probably considered "priceless." Of the swords that have been for sale...

I know that (one of?) Lord Nelson's sword sold in the last couple of years for around $65,000. But the really pricey ones available for sale these days are generally props from movies... Mel Gibson's Braveheart sword sold for a charity auction at around $120,000. The original Atlantean from Conan was recently appraised at $390,000 and the Father's sword at $220,000. Go figure.

Best,

Howy
I'd go with the sword of Charlemange in Paris, the sword of Henry V in Westminster Abbey, and probably the authenticated Masemune swords in Japan. Maybe the Edward III sword as well.

Though don't hold your breath waiting for any of these to come up for sale. :o)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: