Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sword identification Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

Hello to all!
I was wondering if someone could identify the swords in my "collection". Worried

First is a longsword that I bought at an antique store. It has a logo featuring a hand coming out of water holding a sword.
On the opposite side it says "Made in Spain". The hilt is brass with a brass wire wrapped grip. The overall length is 44". The blade length is 36". And the blade width is 1". I know it's not worth much but would still like to get any info you might share:

Next, are a couple of 'eastern' style swords passed down from my grandfather. They're decorative pieces. Definately NOT for cutting! But I have a couple of questions... What would this type of sword be called? (I haven't been able to find anything like it on the web). Also, it seems there's some sort of inlaid brass or gold Worried on the back of the blades... What's that all about?

I don't know if I'm going over my allotted upload limit, so I'll wait to ask about the other stuff Happy

Thanks for your help!

Attachment: 35.95 KB
longsword.JPG

Attachment: 58.11 KB
longsword-hilt.jpg

Attachment: 85.79 KB
easternswords.jpg

Attachment: 91.71 KB
easternswords2.jpg

Attachment: 63.37 KB
easternswords3.jpg

Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

oooops WTF?!

here is the inlay pic...

Thanks again,
Scott

Attachment: 21.79 KB
inlay.jpg

David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "Eastern" type swords are Dhas. The Dha is a South East Asian sword common in Burma and Thailand.

The Spanish one I don't recognize, it doesn't seem to be one of the usual patterns that most of the Spanish wallhanger makers churn out....

edit: There seems to be a marking on the ricasso of the Spanish sword. Can you provide a pic of it?

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

Thanks David!! Happy

Here is a rather poor picture of the logo...

Any idea what these might be worth?

have a great day,
Scott

Attachment: 53.14 KB
lgswdlogo.jpg

Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: the euro         Reply with quote

Hello. i believe the longsword is a modern reproduction from Toledo, as i vaguely remember matching this maker to mark about six years ago. i used to own two blades with the same mark (one of them a single-hand longsword the other a very plain and very long bladed basket hilt broadsword). i would advise you that the two weapons i had were blessed with rat tail tangs, poorly fitted hilts, and very thin threaded pommels; the basket hilt in particular could never keep its grip together tightly. also, my old longsword (an older model from the maker i believe as it was considerably lighter, better balanced, and didn't feel completely like an anchor) when left to its own devices patinated quite handsomely and the rough cross and pommel actually took the look of blackened, pitted iron which made the sword a very nice looking wall decoration.

in any case, enjoy!

[edited for spelling]
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: sword identification         Reply with quote

Scott H. wrote:
Thanks David!! Happy

Here is a rather poor picture of the logo...

Any idea what these might be worth?

have a great day,
Scott

I'm no expert on these, but I would guess that resale value is probably going to be pretty low (considering these are decorative pieces). Unless I missed something....?

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

And now for some more ids if it's not too much trouble Big Grin

Next are a pair of Abercrombie & Fitch (it says so on the blade) epees made in France. I don't know exactly how old these are.

After those is a dagger I bought at the Rennaissance Faire in Bristol, WI a number of years ago. I seem to remember it being called a german dagger? If anyone knows the maker and the real name/style, I'd be much obliged.

Again thank you all! This site is so amazing! Since I've found my way here I can't seem to do much else Eek!

Yours truly,
malnourished and sleep deprived,
Scott

Attachment: 59.17 KB
epees.jpg

Attachment: 102.87 KB
epeehilts.jpg

Attachment: 42.45 KB
dagger.jpg

Attachment: 67.3 KB
daggerhilt.jpg

Attachment: 62.42 KB
daggerunsheathed.jpg

E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Scott,
The dagger appears to be a repro of one of the German Landesknecht styles, minus the normal sidering. The originals date from the first half of the 1500s.

The two Dha are from Assam, which is a region in SE Asia on the Laos/Cambodia border (I think that's where it is, anyway...). The Assamese use that pointy end on their scabbards, unlike the similar Dha in Burma, Cambodia, and Thailand, which usually have squared-off scabbard ends.

--ElJay
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: the dagger         Reply with quote

Scott,

i know this is probably a long shot, but do you remember who you bought the dagger from at Bristol? my friends and i have spent a lot of time there over the last few years and at least one among us has discovered "who sells what" at each of the vendor booths. we could probably get it with the name of the shop.

have a great day!
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The fencing weapons you have are foils. One is a fench grip and the other has an Italian grip, neither are used much in competition today. They are considered older style grips, today they use mostly pistol style grips. Old or not, I love them for they have real charm.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

Thank you everyone!! Big Grin

It's amazing to me how the more I learn about swords, the more I realize there is to know. But this site has opened my eyes in a number of ways.

Jonathon- I don't remember the name of the 'store' but it was all the way back on the right hand side (near the tournament grounds) But that was also a number of years ago...

Don- I too love the fencing foils I grew up with them in my grandfather's attic and my brother and I would fence almost every time we went to visit. I was just curious if there was anything of interest that I missed.

Again, thank you all!

Scott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is that dagger from A&A? (Arms & Armor)
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

Wow! Nathan Eek! The big man himself! Hi!
That's what I'm trying to figure out Worried I have a suspicion that it is A&A. But I just don't remember.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this site. It's amazing! And thank you for the contests and discounts too!

Have a great day,
Scott
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the dagger looks like an old model #057 German Dagger from Arms & Armor. It is pretty much identical , but here's the kicker: I've seen other makers selling knock-offs of the same piece that were clearly made by making a mould from A&A's version. Having said this, however, the scabbard looks like a pretty typical one from A&A, including the strap and rivet.

So my official guess (grin) is that it's the A&A #057. I'm curious what Craig from A&A will say.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Allen W

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The fittings look like some of A&A's but the blade, particularly the broad point, doen't look like any A&As I have seen.
Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

Nathan-

I believe you're right. That title and number seems to ring a bell.

And I have to make a public apology about the condition of the blade.... It was a newbie's (mine) first attempt at sharpening... Blush

I promise to learn more before I make such a mistake again.

Sincerely,
Scott
David Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: sword identification         Reply with quote

Scott H. wrote:

Next are a pair of Abercrombie & Fitch (it says so on the blade) epees made in France. I don't know exactly how old these are.

Those are probably pretty old. Abercrombie and Fitch used to sell real sporting goods way back when (when folks like Theodore Roosevelt and Ernest Hemingway were customers, that should give you some ideas as to when) -- including swords, knives, and firearms of all types, from handguns to elephant rifles....

I'm guessing -- and again, I'm not expert here -- those foils date to about the turn of the century (er, 19th to 20th Century). Whether or not they have any extra value, I wouldn't know...

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: German Dagger         Reply with quote

Yep

Thats a German Dagger from us. It was back when we had three general sizes of daggers. Ths one being a medium length parallel sided blade, as apposed to a tapering blade. This is what makes the tip look bigger Allen.

Best
Craig
Andrew Winston

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott,

Don is absolutely correct that the two eastern swords you have are often referred to as "dha". However, I can probably add some helpful information.

Your examples are actually from Thailand, and are referred to in Thai as "darb" which, like the Burmese "dha" is simply one of several words for "sword" in that language. These are contemporary villiage-quality pieces, likely produced for sale to tourists. However, this is not to suggest that these are not the real deal, just that they were probably specifically manufactured for export, rather than local use. Swords of this form began appearing with GI's returning from service in SEA during the Vietnam war. The quality varies wildly, but some of these are very serviceable weapons.

Take great care should you decide to use these, as the blades have small spike tangs affixed with organic resin which tends to dry out and loosen with age.

Andrew

"I gave 'em a sword. And they stuck it in, and they twisted it with relish.
And I guess if I had been in their position, I'd have done the same thing."
-Richard Milhous Nixon
Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jun, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: sword identification         Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks guys! I've got a long way to go in my knowledge base.... I even feel a little sheepish for bothering you all with this instead of doing more of the research on my own. But I do appreciate it.

Andrew-
You are so correct in the fact that those dha (dhas?) have short tangs! Only about an inch and a half! Definately NOT something to go swinging around! (I know... ooops)
Still, I do like the feel of them and the design. I bet a real pair would be a nasty whirling blender in the right hands.

Again, thank you all. And have a great day!

Scott H.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sword identification
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic