Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather Armour: Viking/Medieval Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next 
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Leather armour         Reply with quote

Once a jock Laughing Out Loud ...certainly there is a degree of elitism in wearing an animal pelt and having worn one on many occasions bear pelt (over mail) in re-enactment sports combat it certainly can look pretty intimidating. I think that their are enough sculptural depictions of Roman warriors in animal pelts to assume that they where not cumbersome in real combat, do not pelt wearing auxiliary also appear on Trajan's column depicting the vanguard of Trajan's army during the Dacian campaign?

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just going from memory - are not the stadard bearers usually the ones with a bearskin or something
similar?
Len Parker

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For more proof of the numerous amount of cattle during the middle ages there's this account from Froissart:
And so in an evening they departed from Tournay, and by that it was day in the morning, they were before Courtray. By that time the sun was up, they had gathered together all the cattle thereabout ; and some of them ran to the gates, and slew and hurt divers that they found without. And then they returned without any damage and drove before them all their preys, so that when they came to Tournay, they had more than ten thousand sheep and as many swine, beeves and kine, whereof the Flemings were sore troubled. http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/books/Froissart/index.cfm?page=0059 Ten thousand kine doesn't sound like there exactly rare.

Also there's this mention of friesians being armed in leather:
The Wars in Friesland
ch.79
Three valiant Friesland knights, sir Feu de Dorekerque, sir Gerard Cavin and sir Tiny de Walturg, seconded this proposal; but the people would not listen to it, and they were supported by several of those noble men called Elins, who are gentlemen and judges of causes. They opposed what the great Frieslander had offered with such success, as to occasion it to be determined that, as soon as they should hear of the enemy landing, they were to march and offer them combat. This being resolved on, the assembly broke up, that every one might make his preparations. To say the truth, they were in general very poorly armed many had no other defensive covering than their waistcoats made of coarse thick cloth, scarcely better than horse-cloths. Some were armed in leather, others with rusty jackets of mail, which seemed unfit for service; but there were some perfectly well armed. http://www.nipissingu.ca/department/history/m...ieslan.htm

Now let me say that I have been unable to find the original french version of this (Book IV) and so there's always room for error in translation. But if this is correct then it's what most people suspect, that in times of war people will look around their environment for anything to put on their bodies for protection, like thick cloth, leather or any armour they can find.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

10,000 Cattle does seem like a lot, Len. And I never said they were rare - merely that they were less common it seems than many other farm animals.

But it's all about scale. It's not how many cattle were there, but about supply and demand.

The Flemish lands were poplous during this time. As just Antwerp itself had a population of over 100,000 by the 15th century or so, there would be a lot of demand as well.

We DO know that the Buff Coat was an expensive item, more expensive that a plate cuirass it seems.

And apparently Chulainn's garment was expensive as well.

Quote:
To say the truth, they were in general very poorly armed many had no other defensive covering than their waistcoats made of coarse thick cloth, scarcely better than horse-cloths. Some were armed in leather, others with rusty jackets of mail, which seemed unfit for service; but there were some perfectly well armed.

This indeed IS interesting. Though what he means by leather is a question mark.

It could well mean they were wearing gambesons, and a gambeson worn as armour by itelf had an outer covering of leather. At the beginning of this thread, the leather found in Ireland appears ot be just that.

It's just real tough to say exactly what Froissart means here.

I might add the passage about Chulainn was far more detailed.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Len Parker wrote:
Also there's this mention of friesians being armed in leather: .

Froissart is 14th century. How does this tell us anything useful about the time in question? There was a lot more domesticated cattle in that period than 300-400 years earlier.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, coupla things before I go back to my woodpile. First off, there are *numerous* uses of leather or hide for armor throughout the history of the planet. Bronze Age rawhide scale armor in the middle east and Egypt (King Tut's tomb, for example); the Classical Greek spolas; a section of leather or rawhide lamellar armor from Dura Europas, 250 AD (apparently Persian); a Roman reference to leather armor not being suitable for wetter conditions because it gets soggy; Cuchulain, of course; a couple iffy bits in Homer such as the bullhide cap that Diomedes wears at one point; Homer's description of hide shields; the Bronze Age leather shield from Clonbrin, Ireland, plus at least one wooden mold for making similar ones; 17th century buff coats; cuir bouilli pieces from all through the later middle ages; plus at least a couple others I can't come up with at the moment. Leather armor DID exist, at SOME places, in SOME times.

This does NOT allow us to conclude that it was used in OTHER places and times, without further evidence of some sort!

"Skirmishing"--I think this is a rocky road. Light forces with javelins and such often skirmish at the opening of a battle, before the heavies engage. Then there are raids and such which may involve "skirmishing". BUT it is also common to use the word for, basically, "any warfare short of war"! Many of the smaller actions blithely tossed off by modern writers as "skirmishes" may have seemed like very legitimate battles by the participants! Half a dozen fully armored knights on foot could "skirmish", ending when one side decided to leave, even if no one was wounded. Granted, for things like scouting and smaller raids, cavalry was often preferred, but I don't think the poor defenders on foot who got slaughtered by 500 Roman cavalry would call that sweeping hand of death through their little village a "skirmish"! The cavalry would all be in mail and scale, and the defenders would have spears and shields cuz that's what they always used. Just one example, obviously! I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of indication that "skirmishing" by most any definition requires body protection that is less protective than mail or scale armor, in an age when it was perfectly common to go to war with just a shield and spear.

For that matter, Cuchulain's story is about a skirmish, a cattle raid. I really think a mailshirt would be lighter, far more flexible, and more protective than what he is described in! Personally, I don't think his layered shirt and war belt were meant to be worn with mail, they sound like stand-alone armor. If that section of the story pre-dates mail, a nice bronze cuirass would do the trick, and we know that such a cuirass was well within the technical capabilities of Ireland at that time.

Lots of folks had cows and oxen, and many cultures had booming leather industries. You can't jump from there to the significant use of leather armor, though. For just one example, if every family owns a milk cow and two oxen to pull their plow, sure, it means bovines are common, but they aren't likely to slaughter them to make armor.

Every culture that I know of hunted, but quite often it was the upper classes who hunted, while the lower classes simply farmed. Even farmers who slaughter cattle regularly don't have time to hunt, and there probably enough aristocrats around to hunt enough wild cattle to meet international commerce and tribute needs. So a demand such as the Romans inflicted on those German tribes would mean some kind of hardship, or even worse a complete change in socio-economic structure.

Len Parker wrote:
But if this is correct then it's what most people suspect, that in times of war people will look around their environment for anything to put on their bodies for protection, like thick cloth, leather or any armour they can find.

Ah, there goes one of our biggest modern assumptions! Ancient people did NOT think this way, that I've ever seen, except for a few very distinctive instances. There *are* numerous documentable instances of warriors going into battle with LESS protective gear than they can get and afford, however! So the whole idea that it's natural to want any protection that can be had is not a legitimate basis for the conclusion that leather armor must have been used.

Really, the only bit so far that I've heard that is REALLY relevant was the quote from a saga about a hero covering himself with a cowhide to ward off dragon poison. (Not even sure if that's in this thread or the parallel one on the Armour Archive!) There is also a reference to a Viking known as "Leatherneck" or something like that because of his (apparently bizarre) habit of wearing a leather corselet of some sort. Those really imply to me that leather armor in the Saxon era was RARE at best. Along with things like muster requirements, which should mention it but never do, we actually have evidence of absence! Trying to fill that kind of hole with rationalizations about the leather industry is not going to help.

Gotta split wood! (An exercise which makes me concious of the value of WOODEN armor, ha!) Valete,

Matthew
Len Parker

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I didn't join in this topic to prove leather was used as armour. Gary Teuscher said that Ireland in the 9th-10thc were probably "hide-rich" in comparison to other areas" and I had these references to cattle on the continent that I thought would contribute to this topic. That's all.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gotcha. Didn't mean to sound adversarial! Economic research like that CAN turn up the darndest things, so thanks for jumping in.

Matthew
David Huggins

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Leather armour         Reply with quote

Gary

Standard bearing are amongst those known to wear animal pelts, however in scene 36 of Tranjan's Colum are a number of pelt wearing warriors wearing wolf and bear skins but perhaps importantly mail knee breeches,tunics, and armed with shield and drawn sword, they do not carry standards or signalling devices. Other warriors in the employ of Rome on the Column are depicted barefooted and naked above the waist too!

It has been said that perhaps the Romans took to wearing bear hoods for there own standard bearers after adopting them from the Northern tribes as much as they adopted the torque from Celtic foes.

best
Dave

Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I really think a mailshirt would be lighter, far more flexible, and more protective than what he is described in! Personally, I don't think his layered shirt and war belt were meant to be worn with mail, they sound like stand-alone armor. If that section of the story pre-dates mail, a nice bronze cuirass would do the trick, and we know that such a cuirass was well within the technical capabilities of Ireland at that time.

Actually, the leather and quilt of Chulainn should be lighter than mail, depending on weave. But I still agree if mail was avaiable he would wear that, more flexible better protection.

The war belt though appears to be far more than a belt - from the hips to the armpits it appears. This would be similar cover as provided by a cuirass, but also points to me that the leather was thick enough to be rather inflexible, i..e not suitable for a tunic. Just going by memory, does is there not some Mycenean references to a wide leather "war belt" as well?

As far as whether it's designed to be worn with mail - I'd say no on the leather "girdle", but the 27 layers of tunics remind be of other descriptions of a gambeson. It could well be designed to be worn under mail if the warrior had access to such, it's hard to say.

Quote:
Every culture that I know of hunted, but quite often it was the upper classes who hunted, while the lower classes simply farmed. Even farmers who slaughter cattle regularly don't have time to hunt, and there probably enough aristocrats around to hunt enough wild cattle to meet international commerce and tribute needs. So a demand such as the Romans inflicted on those German tribes would mean some kind of hardship, or even worse a complete change in socio-economic structure

I fully agree here.

Quote:
Gary Teuscher said that Ireland in the 9th-10thc were probably "hide-rich" in comparison to other areas" and I had these references to cattle on the continent that I thought would contribute to this topic. That's all.

"Hide rich" in comparison to metal, i.e. the metal to leather exchange rate if you want to think of it that way. Apparently in the 16th century and perhaps earlier, Ireland had enough of a cattle industry to make it an export to England. Transporting Cattle accross water for trade certainly implie an economic surplus of cattle.

Quote:
Homer's description of hide shields; the Bronze Age leather shield from Clonbrin, Ireland, plus at least one wooden mold for making similar ones;

Leather or rawhide were certainly components of shields, I look at this differently than armour. It also points out why the Romans had military demands for leather as tribute from the germanic tribes, though it does not mean they needed it for armour.

Quote:
Ah, there goes one of our biggest modern assumptions! Ancient people did NOT think this way, that I've ever seen, except for a few very distinctive instances. There *are* numerous documentable instances of warriors going into battle with LESS protective gear than they can get and afford, however!

Exactly. There are examples of Vikings leaving their mail aboard ship, and examples of Roman foot in the late imperium not wearing their armour.

It seems some looked at the heat and weight brought about by wearing armour as undesireable. This is a definite counter to those who say "well they would have worn something".

And these are troop that have armour that works well not wearing it, I would think the desire to wear armour that does not protect well would be less.
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two comments:

1. Simply because someone is exporting cattle doesn't necessarily mean that they have a surplus, their cattle could be much more valuable traded to neighboring country than to neighboring provinces. This also happened in Ireland during the potato famine, where there was more money to be made trading the other crops to Britain than their was giving it to the starving Irish. (Of course there are other issues in there as well but I'm just using it to illustrate a point.)

2. Even nowadays soldiers frequently wear much less armor than they could. My cousin was just recently back from Afghanistan and commented on how infantry never wear all of the armor that they are given. He said that only people on base or turret gunners wear everything.

E Pluribus Unum
Justin H. Núñez

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Someone a few posts ago mentioned something about Western American cattle drives and herd sizes. Let us not forget that the central Asian steppes are vastly larger than ours out west and with open migrations of the tribes herd size would not have been a problem for few generations. Remember that overgrazing helped to contribute the unrest that spurred the great migrations.

Quote:
It looks like period practices though were not cattle drives, but the raising of goats and sheep. This provides some info, I am not sure if it was based on current nomads, or information on historical nomads, or both, but pretty well correlates with other sources I have read about steppe nomad pastoralism

http://www.e-mongol.com/mongolia_nomadiclife.htm

I was referring to the number of animals that could be raised due the size of the rangeland, not necessarily cattle, but what ever was that cultures norm. I only mentioned cattle because someone had mentioned cattle drives and it jogged my memory.

Quote:
Point is here though, Justin, we are looking for more than just speculation. Pictorial sources, literary sources, archaeological evidence, etc.

That is exactly my point. I simply wanted to point out that we should always be wary of dismissing the sources too quickly because it doesn't "
meet"our preconceived requirements.

Quote:
But on the point of speculation - Horse Hide for one. I have tried to find something a bit more than general information, but all I have found is that a horse hide is thinner than a cowhide - about 2/3 or so in thickness. So for finding thick armour grade leather, horse hide is second to cowhide.

Unless you can't get cow hide.

Quote:
Another "speculative" point - Steppe tribes wood have great access to textiles, wool, cashmere, etc. etc. Based on testing, a multi layered textile garment provides better protection than leather. I'd argue it's more likely they would use a layered textile garment.

That could very well be. It could also be said that "speculation"

Quote:
Lastly though - I think you need to realize the difference between leather armour and clothing. 2-4oz weight leather, the type that would be most common, makes fine clothing. It has practically "0" value as armour.

I completely understand the difference between the two. I was hinting that the notion that other peoples may have considered other types of hides as more appropriate than cow hide. Also, I was not referring to 2-4 0z hides, I was thinking more along the lines of 6-8oz horsehide, and that it is more durable than cowhide, thickness for thickness, but not as much as goat or buffalo. It does depend on how it was tanned and who did the tanning. But I agree that a 14 oz piece of cow will be more resistant than a 4 oz horsehide. As armour, speculative, yes, but again it was just supposed to be an example that other things might have been used or preferred by other cultures for various reasons. My bad for not being specific enough. That's what I get for trying to write with 16 month old my lap...

Quote:
For true "armour" leather, it has to be very thick, and/or treated. I am not ruling out leather lammelar - there are examples of such. And Cuiboilli, or even thick vegetable tanned leather could have been used - but simple tandard weight cow hide, is NOT armour, it's leather. And while some of these forms of leather may have been effective to a point, they pale in comparison to the performance and durability of metal armour, so one would think metal lammelar replaces leather lammelar, particularily for the wealthy once available.

I agree.

I think that these types of discussions are terrific. One learns so much from them. It's great to be a part of myArmoury!

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Justin H. Núñez

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew W wrote:
Justin H. Núñez wrote:
Also, I think that in looking at ancient records we should not be so quick to dismiss what they are actually saying as is so typical in our western European academic circles. You know the "if it doesn't meet our 'standards' then it doesn't count" routine that amounts to honestly nothing more than academic snobbery; though minds have opened up a little with the new generation of scholars.
I think that as general rule the troops would have used what was at hand. The steppe peoples being far more ingenuitive and resourceful than we are in those types of things.

The danger with this kind of common sense approach is that risks being very ethnocentric, because it expects the Steppe people, being very ingenious, to do precisely what we (as 21st century westerners) think they should have done. I personally think that this is just as if not more dangerous than approaching the written sources with a critical eye. Indeed, historians question the surface readings of texts not because they don't trust the ancient authors to know what they were talking about (your 'academic snobbery'), but because they don't trust their own face-value readings to necessarily be what the author's were trying to say. Tacitus, for example, was commenting on Roman society and morality using the barbarians as a rhetorical foil to expose social problems back home; many have gone wrong assuming that he was writing a modern anthropological-style work of ethnography whose primary goal was the accurate description of the barbarian peoples. That wasn't his purpose in writing, and expecting to find that kind of information in his pages is asking something of is text that he never attempted to provide. Just as we have to keep things like genre and authorial intent in mind when we're reading history, so we don't think that authors were trying to do what we'd like them to do, we also must remember that different cultures have different common senses, and not assume that the Steppe nomads used leather armor, in absence of evidence, because we would do the same if pulled out of our 21st century context and put in their place tomorrow. Many wrong conclusions have been reached in past archaeological scholarship through this kind of ethnocentric reasoning.

I agree. You have put it much more eloquently than I did.

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are so many inaccuracies in how armour is depicted on Trajan's column that it can't be relied upon as a source for any kind of armour research.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: leather armour         Reply with quote

No doubt there are conventions within Roman Triumphal Architecture but would a Roman public familiar these conventions and the actuality of the make up of the Roman Army be fooled by outrageous license? BTW we seem to be straying well of topic now!

best
Dave

Len Parker

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might as well jump back in this topic with a couple of things I just grabbed from the Russian Medieval site 13c.ru/ (nothing to do with viking).
One argument against leather armour is that it's to thin. Well, what's stopping anyone from layering it. Here is a mention from Charles Folks The Armourer And His Craft: "The Hon. Robert Curzon, writing in 1869, mentions a cuirass of three thicknesses of leather found in a stone coffin of the thirteenth century (Arch. Journ. XXII, p. 6)." (posted by Rusia, scroll down half way) http://www.13c.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141&a...p;start=45

Also, since Dan brought up leather armour being used in the east, when this thread was started way back, I thought I'd also link you to Al-Tarsusi's instructions on making leather lamellar (here called jawshan).(scroll down half way, it's in english). http://www.13c.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141&a...mp;start=0
To make the plates, it sounds like they're putting rags or skins over a mold, then filling it with the crushed camel clippings, glue and other materials.

I didn't want to get into another argument over who wore leather armour, but I did want to show with my posts that leather was available, and things could be done to turn it into armour if one had the desire.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Leather A rmour         Reply with quote

I would like to just return to the question asked by Gary which was would an animal pelt worn in combat be too cumbersome and which I used the warriors depicted on Trajan's Column as one example of pelt wearing warriors, not as Dan pointed out as the source as a reliable one for the research of armour (although it would seem to depict the cosmopolitan make up of troops types in the employ of Trajan), I believe there are examples of grave stella depicting and commemorating bear hooded auxiliary unit standard bearers, one from Bonn and another from Mainz. Other cultures at different times have used animal pelts which would suggest they did not find wearing pelts an hindrance, Aztec Jaguar Knights are yet one other such instance.

best
Dave

Johan Gemvik

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Seems to me it would get rather hot and cumbersome in summertime, though no more than some gamboised armour types worn in later ages I suppose.
On the other hand, though standard bearer animal pelts look really cool, did the legionaires really wear them in combat? They were big on being rather practical above all else after all. Are there any sources stating they did wear them in battle, or was it more like a parade uniform?

The aztec knights had thin pelt I thought, I don't know if it's comparable to thick bear pelt but possibly to wolf skins and others the Romans also used.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Leather Armour         Reply with quote

No doubt they would get hot in summer time for European warriors as they would be for sub-tropic Aztec warriors wearing a jaguar pelt over a padded organic textile armour. I am not sure if a jaguar pelt is lighter or heavier then a wolf pelt. I suspect an element of awe was an expectation if a pelt was worn in combat.

It has been mentioned here that mail was eschewed due to hot weather and I suspect the source is the Norwegian forces of Harald Sigurdson actions at Stamford Bridge, but perhaps in that instance circumstances should be taken into consideration, Sigurdson was awaiting an embassy from that town, and believed he had been victorious and appears to have been caught by surprise by the appearance of Godwinson's army, much of his force was with his fleet and it was these warriors who it is said went without mail in their haste to quickly reinforce Sigurdson's beleaguered stand at Stamford Bridge against the southern English army.

According to the saga, Sigurdson is believed to have worn his mail hauberk named 'Emma' during the battle if memory serves me well, and I expect his warriors encamped outside of York did to.

best
Dave

Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan Gemvik wrote:
On the other hand, though standard bearer animal pelts look really cool, did the legionaires really wear them in combat? They were big on being rather practical above all else after all. Are there any sources stating they did wear them in battle, or was it more like a parade uniform?

If it helps, you can give up on the idea of the Romans being "practical". The more I learn of them, the weirder they seem! We're talking about a culture that insists on putting hinges on leather belts, for starters.

Also, ancient battle WAS parade. The whole idea of shiny metal armor, helmet crests, painted shields, etc., was to create a brilliant godlike appearance to overawe your opponents. Animal pelts are impressive, and add greatly to the effect. They also served to indicate the elevated status of the standard bearers. Any additional heat problem that a pelt might have added in conjunction with armor was probably minimal, and seems to have been considered worth it.

I'm trying to come up with actual documentation besides Trajan's Column for pelts being worn in battle, but my poor oatmeal brain is having trouble. I *think* there are images and references, though.

Matthew

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather Armour: Viking/Medieval
Page 4 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: