Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather Armour: Viking/Medieval Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next 
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I was speaking with someone who makes period (11th century, more focused on viking age) garments using period materials.

I was curious how much time goes into the cleaning/spinning/weaving time to make clothes.

She works with a lot of wool, hand spinnng, using wool, she is not quite as familiar with flax.

It takes about 25 man hours to make a square yard of wool from fleece to cloth, and this is about a 16oz weight garment.

Form what I have seen examples of and read, I'd guess the 16 layer of linen gambesons would be of the 16oz weight linen, the 24 layers or so of a lighter linen. Speculation of course, but I think roughly accurate.

From her experience with linen, it was abut the same to weave, faster to spin, but needed a lot more prep time.

Considering a tunic is roughly 2.5 square yards, we are looking at 1000 man hours for a 16 layer 16oz weight gambeson or Jack, or 100 working days at 10 hours per day. And this is just labor, though the cost of flax would have been negigible by comparison.

This was far from inexpensive I would think - and perhaps the labor intensiveness of making these type of garments are why perhaps the buff coat superceded the Gambeson in the 16th century.

I think it also shows they would have been moderately effective as armour - not as much as metal armour of course, but still effective. Willimas tests indicate they were moderately effective, and greatly enhanced the protective values of mail when worn over the top or uncerneath.

It also makes one relaize how "clothing poor" our society was until the event of industrialization of this product. Our closets full of clothes would have shown great wealth back in the middle ages, where some probably got by on one set of clothes, if you had 3-4 sets you were probably somewhat well off.
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gary, very interesting.
Éirinn go Brách
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Stephen!

It's interesting, she had also made a 27 layer Gambeson of 8oz weight linen, not sure if handspun.

It weighed about 25 pounds, and withstood spear/axe/sword attacks reasonably well.

The archery testing we won't talk about Wink In absence of at least a 100# draw bow, it's hard to draw any conclusions.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I have read, the making of textiles was THE major industry of the ancient world. In some cultures, even boys and men would spin thread when they had time. I'm not sure you can factor in labor costs too heavily--not to be sounding sexist, but "women's work" has largely been considered free over the centuries... Plus, of course EVERYthing was hand-made back then, so you can't really compare it to any modern manufacturing system. There are a few steps to flax processing, but much of the extra time is just letting it ret--I'm not sure the handwork time is all that much more than for wool, though I think it is a little more at least.

Overall, though, you're absolutely right: making cloth takes a heck of a lot of work!!

Matthew
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure you can factor in labor costs too heavily--not to be sounding sexist, but "women's work" has largely been considered free over the centuries...

Well, apparently in England women were part of the weavers guild, but they did complain about pay, apparently it was not equal to the pay of a mail. But still, 1000 days of labor, even cheap labor is a lot!

Quote:
From what I have read, the making of textiles was THE major industry of the ancient world. In some cultures, even boys and men would spin thread when they had time.

From what I have read, men were certainly not uncommon as weavers, though I'm not sure about spinning thread (European Middle ages)

Quote:
There are a few steps to flax processing, but much of the extra time is just letting it ret--I'm not sure the handwork time is all that much more than for wool, though I think it is a little more at least.
\

Apparently flax spins somewhat quicker than wool from what the textile person told me.

Quote:
Plus, of course EVERYthing was hand-made back then, so you can't really compare it to any modern manufacturing system.

Absoilutely, but I was shocked by how labor intensive making cloth as, most of the labor is the thread spinning.
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of cloth, it might be interesting to know that the woollen garments worn by the Bocksten bog man was made up with a total of 15.400 m thread - corresponding to the amount of wool yielded by four sheep during a year. It is estimated that all of this thread took 30 days to spin by hand, providing that the spinner worked 8 hours a day. Then at least two more weeks would have been needed to weave the fabric and then cut and sew the garments.

Despite all the work put into the production of the cloth, the amount of fabric used for the cloak and cote would have been comparatively cheap as it was a coarse domestic fabric (known as vadmal). At the market it could have been traded for a barrel of herring or a pair of "good shoes", whereas fine broadcloth from Poperinge in Flanders would have been worth at least ten times as much (These figures are valid for mid 14th century Sweden)
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:

Absoilutely, but I was shocked by how labor intensive making cloth as, most of the labor is the thread spinning.

Quite. We had a couple of warp weighted looms set up in our weaving shed at Chedworth roman villa and found that produce a piece of wool cloth 5' broad by 6' long took a mile of spun wool.
The ladies spun it all on drop spindles, then dyed it and wove it. Took three of them 5 days to set up the loom and weave it...about enough material to make a tunic from.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course, we're freely mixing data from a WIDE range of time and place, here! I automatically tend to think about Roman and earlier cultures--Barber's book "Prehistoric Textiles" was the core of my education on the subject. Naturally there's a lot better information overall from the middle ages. Certainly the Romans had a textile industry outside of what was made at home, but they don't seem to have had guilds per se, and their labor included a lot of slaves. So the economics are entirely different.

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
Speaking of cloth, it might be interesting to know that the woollen garments worn by the Bocksten bog man was made up with a total of 15.400 m thread - corresponding to the amount of wool yielded by four sheep during a year. It is estimated that all of this thread took 30 days to spin by hand, providing that the spinner worked 8 hours a day. Then at least two more weeks would have been needed to weave the fabric and then cut and sew the garments.

Huh, I wouldn't have thought the weaving would have taken that long. But I guess I'm remembering something I learned from a book about Highland tartans, discussing a group of people who still wove them traditionally on hand looms. They could weave 10 yards a day, and that would be 60-inch wide broadcloth (I think!). So I always figured a narrower width of simpler (non-tartan) fabric would be at least as fast. But of course that's a much later loom design, for all I know vastly speedier than a warp-weighted upright loom.

Matthew Bunker wrote:
We had a couple of warp weighted looms set up in our weaving shed at Chedworth roman villa and found that produce a piece of wool cloth 5' broad by 6' long took a mile of spun wool.
The ladies spun it all on drop spindles, then dyed it and wove it. Took three of them 5 days to set up the loom and weave it...about enough material to make a tunic from.

THAT'S cool, thanks! I know the warping process is tedious. Oh, I would LOVE to meet your weavers and see them in action!! Do you think that the ancients were probably faster and better than us at any of these crafts? That's a gut feeling I always have, simply because they did it ALL THE TIME, having learned as children from other experts, whereas we start out later in life as hobbiests.

Gotta run! Valete,

Matthew
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you think that the ancients were probably faster and better than us at any of these crafts? That's a gut feeling I always have, simply because they did it ALL THE TIME, having learned as children from other experts, whereas we start out later in life as hobbiests.

I would think so, but there certainly is an upper limit that's probably not too much better than modern crafters.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:

Do you think that the ancients were probably faster and better than us at any of these crafts?

Better than the average weekend re-enactor certainly but probably no better than someone who does the craft on a regular basis.
I know that it took a lot less time to set up the fourth or fifth loom of the season than it did the first two. Setting up the first one always took twice as long because there was a great deal of headscratching and 'How did we do that last time' going on.

The fiddliest part always seems to be weaving in the tablet woven starting border.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Found a nice clip showing 19th century linnen production.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCXLiwWqKw

As shown, production takes place in a number of stages, carried out by different people, over a long period of time: growing and havesting, drying the flax, breaking it, and so on.
The result is a relatively low intensity process. I would imagine that spinning and weaving would be typical winter pursuits. At this time of year, there are few other activites, and crafting is a good way to pass the time.

Both cloth and leather armour is expensive. When buff coats come into vouge, they are frequently the most expensive item in the soldiers kit. However, the buff coat does not replace independent cloth armour; it is essentially a leather arming jacket.
In the early 15th century, you see quite a lot of heavy cloth armour; infantrymen with 30-layer jacks and kinghts with aketons on top of their armour.
By the 16th c, it appears that cloth armour of this type is more or less gone. But they have not been replaced by leather armour. Rather, they have been outcompeted as the most cost effective protection by cheap, mass produced plate harnesses.
In 1500, a landsknecht could buy a 3/4 curraiss of thin, munitions grade plate for less than a months pay. A Doppelsoldner, earning twice as much, could buy one easily, and afford the extra frills and decorations as well.
Often it appears that these armours where worn on top of a sturdy doublet rather than a dedicated arming garment, at least by (mercenary) infantry.

When limb armour starts beeing discarded, the need for a more sturdy arming jacket to protect the arms could be what brought about the buff coat.
That, and the generall increase in leather use in the 17th c. (High boots, broad leather belts, large leather hats, leather jerkins...)

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Setting up the first one always took twice as long because there was a great deal of headscratching and 'How did we do that last time' going on.

The person I was speaking said to set up the loom for the initial run of thread took her about 3 hours the first time - but after that it was quicker, takes her about 2 hours now.

Quote:
When limb armour starts beeing discarded, the need for a more sturdy arming jacket to protect the arms could be what brought about the buff coat.
That, and the generall increase in leather use in the 17th c. (High boots, broad leather belts, large leather hats, leather jerkins...)

The only question though - why the buff coat arming jacket and not a jack type material? Seems the Jack tested better than the buff coat on William's tests, so I would think it would have to be cost or availability.

But the general use of more leather around this time could well point to the reason. I have read that Ireland started exporting cattle to England around this time, and it seems there was a greater amount of cattle available, the exact reasons why I do not know, but if this was the case, it would have driven the cost of leather armour down.

A buff coat was still a pricey item though of course - to get the thickness of leather common in buff coats one could only use the thickest parts of cattle hide.

I wonder if it could have had anything to do with the availability of linen? Wool was of course common in England, but wool cloth does not seem to be as effective as linen for armour, perhaps linen makes for a much tighter weave?
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's interesting to note that linen cloth was considerably cheaper than wool, at least in medieval and early modern Sweden. Domestic linen could be worth as little as half as much as "good" domestic woolen cloth, and although imported fine linen was more expensive than the latter it was still significantly cheaper than quality woolen broadcloth.

We should also keep in mind that linen layers used for quilted and padded armour were probably often made up of used and "recycled" linen cloth, as suggested in some sources.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:

The only question though - why the buff coat arming jacket and not a jack type material? Seems the Jack tested better than the buff coat on William's tests, so I would think it would have to be cost or availability.

Gunpowder. Leather is not affected by powder burns.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Well, that was a rather obvious reason that I had not thought of!
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:

Well, that was a rather obvious reason that I had not thought of!

Oh, yeah, good answer! One time at Jamestown I saw a fellow with a set of padded "bases" (not sure they use those any more) who came back from the drill demo smoldering... And I've got enough burn holes in my doublets to make me regret selling my own buff coat! (Mind you, it wasn't a very *good* buff coat, and it was in danger of being chopped up for orc armor at the time! Better to go to a new home!)

I'm boggled at linen being cheaper than wool!! Always thought it was the other way around. FASCinating!

Great stuff here!! (What was this topic about?)

Matthew
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
We should also keep in mind that linen layers used for quilted and padded armour were probably often made up of used and "recycled" linen cloth, as suggested in some sources.

Certainly for the padding of a quilted type garment, I would think this would be the case.

But for a garment without true"padding", but instead layers of linen? I would think there might be concern using "recycled" linen, as I would think the homogenus makeup of the amrour might be compromised.
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:

Certainly for the padding of a quilted type garment, I would think this would be the case.

But for a garment without true"padding", but instead layers of linen? I would think there might be concern using "recycled" linen, as I would think the homogenus makeup of the amrour might be compromised.

According to the 1322 statures of the Armourer's company of London "white aketons" should be made with layers of "olde lynnen" and new cloth on the outside. The Ordinances of Louis XI of France (1463) states that the best cloth for multi-layerd jacks was fabric "worn and rendered flexible".
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael,

if this is the same 1322 ordinance I have in front of me I have a slight correction. The word used is stuffed. This does not mean layered as in whole linen cloth but seems to mean smaller fragments that are placed into a shell. I see nothing to indicate layering. It is likely smaller remnants and pieces going into the white aketons/gambesons they are mentioning. That said all the remaining examples of padded armour are sandwiched in.

RPM
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall, okay thanks for clearing that up.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather Armour: Viking/Medieval
Page 8 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: