myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your favorite armored movie? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Mr. Tony Brass wrote:
Prince Caspian had a great armored duel. I was not expecting to be so impressed. I second this choice.

I have not watched "Chronicles on Narnia"...
but the movie which I occur to with "great armored duel"....

Krzyzacy (1960) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054004/
English title is "Knights of the Teutonic Order"

Krzyzacy DVD front and back cover (PAL version)
http://zeruge.hp.infoseek.co.jp/images/Krzyzacy_dvd.jpg
A a hero knight fights a duel with knight (wear a visored bacinet) of the top right corner of the front cover.
I felt this movie for literature very much.

I'm interested in Medieval Arms and Armor.
But... My English is very poor ><;
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to have to cast a vote for the Arn films. Sure it's mostly in Swedish so I have to use subtitles, it could have used a few more action sequences, there were period inaccuracies etc. etc. However, i thought it did a good job of capturing the overall feel....plus what other movie can you watch with Albions in it?
Dan
Ushio Kawana

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Mr. Dan Dickinson wrote:
I'm going to have to cast a vote for the Arn films. Sure it's mostly in Swedish so I have to use subtitles, it could have used a few more action sequences, there were period inaccuracies etc. etc. However, i thought it did a good job of capturing the overall feel....plus what other movie can you watch with Albions in it?

I know "Arn" and I download***********files last year. Evil Evil Evil But no subtitles... Blush
I was not able to understand a story... Cry
DVD of "Arn" is not released in Japan.

"Arn" official web site http://www.arnmovie.com/
Arn - Tempelriddaren (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837106/

I'm interested in Medieval Arms and Armor.
But... My English is very poor ><;
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ushio Kawana wrote:
Quote:
Mr. Dan Dickinson wrote:

I know "Arn" and I download***********files last year. Evil Evil Evil But no subtitles... Blush
I was not able to understand a story... Cry
DVD of "Arn" is not released in Japan.

"Arn" official web site http://www.arnmovie.com/
Arn - Tempelriddaren (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837106/

subtitles are here...http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitles/340...ns-slut-en
Sabine Benning

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all together,

Years ago, I joined a lot of interesting films. So there a many of different favourites:

Henry V, Kenneth Branagh, although Henry V was glamorized also
Elizabeth – the first movie, not the second. Battle on see was a joke!
Queen Margot (a french movie)!
Excalibur – see Roger Hooper! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud And great soundtrack!
Robin and Marian
The Three/Four Musketeers (Richard Lester. Great director!)

to be an also-ran:
“Alatriste” – What a pity, only the beginning and the end was thrilling.
“Flesh and blood” – Nearly felicitous, but a little bit plump.

The funny section:
Of course: Monty Pythons Search for the Holy Grail – poor cow!
“A knight’s tale” – a modern eye-winking (correct English?) version
"The 13th Warrior"? After all a great assortment of amours from different times.

I don’t know “The Warlord”, or is it the movie with great Nicolas Cage?

Entirely unkown to me: “I cavalieri che fecero l'impresa and “"De leeuw van Vlaanderen (1985)" - seems to be interesting.

-The Crusades:
When Richard and Saladin compare swords, not at all historical but great non the less: could the scene be inspired by the novel “The talisman” from Sir Walter Scott??

Mr. Kawana, I am surprised and impressed! "Lancelot du Lac (1974, director: Robert Bresson)". In Germany we say “Schwere Kost”. In this coherence it means: ambitious in the artistic way. Remember the last scence!

kind regards

S.Benn
Malcolm A

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For my part, two of the best films ever are:

The War Lord; starring Charlton Heston
El Cid; starring Charlton Heston

They created my interest as a young lad in the subject of swords, knights etc

Awesome films and great acting too

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself
David Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some of my arms and armor/sword and sandal faves:

1. El Cid
2. The Warlord
3. Ben Hur (funny how Chuck Heston shows up in a lot of these...)
4. Braveheart
5. Lester's Musketeer movies
6. The Prince and the Pauper, also known as Crossed Swords, also a Richard Lester film from the '70's, with an awesome cast (a lot of the same folks from the Musketeer movies. Including... Chuck Heston!)
7. Spartacus
8. The Vikings (Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas and Ernest Borginine shouting "OOOOOOOODINNNNN!"
9. The Lord of the Rings series
10. Conan the Barbarian
11. Excalibur
12. Gladiator
13. Fall of the Roman Empire
14. Rob Roy
15. The 13th Warrior (I didn't like this movie when it first came out, but it grew on me, like mold, I guess. Anyway, I find it a great guilty pleasure, and a lot of fun, with some occasional brilliant moments)
16. The Viking Queen (Another guilty pleasure. A silly, contrived Roman-era Hammer films romp, based on the rebellion of Boudicca, with the names changed to protect the innocent. The acting is horrible, the costumes are ludicrous, but God help me, I love this terrible movie....)

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well geez, I'm pretty easy as far as movies go, it might be easier to ask what movies involving armor do I not like. I have most of the American/English movies (LOTR, Conan, Narnia, The Last Samurai, Merlin, etc) mentioned above, though I still haven't seen Prince Caspian, Kingdom of Heaven, and the 13th Warrior.

To throw something new out there: Legend of the Black Scorpion. I don't know if it was at all historically accurate, but I thought the armor worn by the army was cool.

Does anyone have any opinions on First Knight? I thought it had a lousy plot (yes, yes, I know it had to loosely follow the stories of old, but they could have done it better) and the horrible armor worn by the good guys was enough to put it on my Never-Watch-Again List. I mean, I know historically accurate or believeable armor is rare in popular media, but still....
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think David Wilson's list pretty much has all of my favorites excepting one, The Long Ships with Richard Widmark,
Sydney Poitier and (wait for it) OSCAR HOMOLKE! Vikings looking for a huge golden bell waylayed by Moors, a fiendish
torture device and a gratuitous feasting hall scene. What more could you want?

Doug Gentner
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:
I think David Wilson's list pretty much has all of my favorites excepting one, The Long Ships with Richard Widmark,
Sydney Poitier and (wait for it) OSCAR HOMOLKE! Vikings looking for a huge golden bell waylayed by Moors, a fiendish
torture device and a gratuitous feasting hall scene. What more could you want?

Doug Gentner

Oh yes the torture device that one could say brings to mind the saying " Sliding down the razor blade of life " literally. Eek!

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I attempted to watch Flesh and Blood today. About an hour in I realized this is probably one of the worst "Medieval" movies I had ever seen, including 13th warrior. I think it might have given me liver failure...

It's quite difficult to think of an "Armor" movie; Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King is a good fantasy flick, and it DOES have armor, but it's rather "fantastic" armor.

If you want to see some really BAD armor though, check out "First Knight" -- you get to see them dent from rather unforceful taps Wink

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Knight's Tale has the advantage that the makers actually did know better - the anachronisms are entirely deliberate gags, rather than mere ignorance. For a particularily hilarious one, pay close attention to the painstakingly recreated skyline of medieval London at the beginning of the "Boys Are Back In Town" sequence. Big Grin

As for The 13th Warrior, it may be completely out of whack in regard to the arms and armour, but otherwise it's really a great movie - and at the very least it has its heart in the right place, damnit! "Lo, there do I see my father..."

Excuse me, I got something in my eye... *snif*

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that many of the anachronisms in A Knight's Tale seem quite deliberate. I wish they had gone even further with it and made an out-and-out rock-and-roll romp, though; as it were, the movie seems like it couldn't entirely decide between anachronizing or going really medieval.

But when it comes to my favorite armored movie, it has to be Dragonheart. Not for the armor--it's horrible--but for the plot and dialogue as well as much of the costuming. I was entirely (and pleasantly) surprised when the evil king appeared in his shirtsleeves (so to say) and he turned out to be wearing braies and hose rather than modern trousers; the men's tunics also have some resemblance to identifiably Anglo-Saxon and Norman tunics, which is more than I can say for the vast majority of movies with medieval setting. I was so pleased that I felt nothing wrong about ignoring the fact that the clothing mostly looked like stuff from one or two whole centuries after the date claimed for the movie's story (9th or 10th century England).
Andrew Pribor

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Your favorite armored movie?         Reply with quote

Well, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Beowulf & Grendel. (the live action, Gerard Butler version) I thought the costumes/leather work were well done & the scenery was amazing.

http://www.beowulfandgrendel.com/

"The Bow brings grief and sorrow to the foeman; armed with Bow may we sudue all regions."
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second Beowulf and Grendel. I'm not a Gerard Butler fan, but it's not a bad movie, and the "leather armor" is at least interesting looking.

Sadly, it suffers from the "Two handed sword" syndrome, and their shields are ever abandoned :/

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of dragons, remember the 1981 movie, Dragonslayer? It was the best dragon movie ever made.

It is set in Dark Ages Wales and Ireland, and arms and armor does appear. It has been some time since I've seen it, so I couldn't say how accurate they are.

But it is a great movie, with Peter MacNicol, and Ralph Richardson giving a wonderful performance (his last, I think). The plot is miles above the typical sword and sorcerer fare - complex, with some genuine humor in it, but very dark in places.

The dragon is well designed, looks real, and holds up well, considering the movie was made almost 30 years ago.
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, my Dad has Dragonslayer on DVD. If I remember correctly, the weapons/armor aren't so bad historically, though used somewhat inexpertly.

As you mention, the dragon was rather well done. More believeable as a giant bat-like thing than the four-legged modern dragon (which supposedly can't get into a take-off position according to some studies).

Shoot, I'll have to dig that out some time and watch it again...
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sun 19 Apr, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How can we have overlooked "Army of Darkness"? Armor, swords, undead warriors and a weaponised Oldsmobile
Station Wagon. It gets better with each passing year.

Doug Gentner
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Definitely Joan of Arc with Ingrid Bergman. At least they tried to get the armour and weapons right for the period. I love Dunois' axe, and La Hire's grand bascinet! Most of the clothing is later than the 1420s, but at least all the guys are wearing hose, not pants, and they have the proper miltary bowl hair-cut. And the storming of the Turrell is probably the best seige scene ever filmed.

"By the black bull of Bashan! It's a girl! And in harness!"

"It's the witch! It's the witch!"
"Die there, coward!"
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the saddest stories I ever heard was from someone who had worked on that film. It seems that it was a MUCH longer movie originally, with many more big battle scenes that were cut before release. Of the three full length copies of the film, at least one was lost to fire (his copy) awhile back, and one has disappeared. I still have a fantasy that the third will someday wind up on Blueray or dvd.

But my favorite armoured movie was also a 'Joan of Arc' movie - the one I worked on back in '97. It was being done by the same fellow that did 'Gettysburg', and had the best damned battle scenes that you will never see. My armour was a prototype I made for that film.

Attachment: 145.17 KB
[ Download ]

jamesarlen.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Your favorite armored movie?
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: